Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted today a Proton something or other and from a distance it looked very much like the older shaped evos (1 and amp; 2) have proton got mitsis old bits or have they just tried to copy a good idea??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
they bought the designs from Mitsubishi I believe

proton panels can replace early evo ones in an emergency I expect, except the bonnet and bumbers etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Proton uses old model Mitsi tooling and running gear in (most??) of it's models. At a Rally a while back i saw what i thought was an EvoIII but at closer inspection it had Proton badging and was listed as a Proton in the listings. Apart from that it had all Lancer evo running gear and body parts ie. EvoIII body kit.

Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know the whole story behind it but Proton have been rallying in cars identical to Evo's for years.
Lancer Evo 1 to 4 are renamed/badged as Proton Wira(asia and europe)/Persona(renamed to this later in europe)
Lancer Evo 5 is renamed/badged as the Proton Pert(asia). I am not sure if they have been rallied in europe.
I don't know if they have got around to the Evo 6 yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1800 GSR is most orginal to the proton, should be able to swap front head lights and indicators |PLS| plus rear bumper no probs.
Not done it but I hear panels should be staight swap on the GSR, but I think the EVOs had wider front wings. Door should also be same. My makes take the #### and say I should just re-bagde it a proton to #### people off. At castle combe this yeat there was an Evo 3 (i think) which had the proton rear end, but evo front (bright yellow). Engine in the 1800 proton is the same as in the GSR, but with turbo stuck on. Going to shut up now before I get sambasted for talking about protons.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Proberbly not a not since I dont think they put a 2.0 litre engine in any only of their cars, however stuff like power steering bottle, brake fliud bottle, could include A/C pump, but not sure. Most of this stuff is standard across the different Jap makes.
The only real way of finding out whats the same is by comapring the two side by side.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

When I mentioned about half-cuts in thread titled Evo V vs Evo VI, this is exactly what I meant. One could basically turn a Proton into an Evo II or III by doing some serious conversion. The front part is easy. Once you can get your hand on a half-cut Evo III for example, you could transplant the engine into Proton which will fit just nice as they share the same platform. Then you could swap the front bumper and the side fender and there you go, a complete front of Evo III. The rear part is a bit tricky. Evo III rear lights, you all know how they look like. They are not squarish, the outer part is narrower than the inner, giving something like foxy eyes but Proton lights are squarish throughout. Most people that modified Protons to Evo III find it hard to convert this rear part.

Proton has been rallying in Europe, if I'm not mistaken but mostly in Asia Rally Championship. HH6 was right, they race under PERT (Petronas EON Racing Team). Recently, in an endurance race in Malaysia, PERT used a new shell called Proton Waja and Evo 6 as the powerplant. This Proton Waja is also commercially produced locally but with 1.6L engine. This Waja does not resemble any Evo at all like in the past.

In short, if someone wanted to convert his/her Wira/Persona to an Evo, you could tell quite easily. I think even that Proton PERT that has been rallying around here did some serious conversion to most body parts, that's why it looks like an Evo 5. Mitsubishi Japan and Proton has a joint venture agreement when Proton started producing cars back in 1984. But now Proton gradually pulls away by designing their own car but engine is still co-develop with Mitsubishi.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts