Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k., I'll get my programable ECU quite soon (Link or GEMS), but already have a Blitz SBC-id fitted to control the boost with it's own solenoid. What shall I do when I get the new ECU? Keep the Blitz and use the ECU to control the rest, or get rid of the Blitz? If I get rid of the Blitz, is there the possibility to still use the Blitz's solenoid in conjunction with the ECU or go back to the standard system? Lots of questions, hopefully lots of answers...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:prog. ECU with/without Ext. Boost controller?

There is no reason why you couldn't continue to use the blitz

does the blitz use a 3 port solinoid? ( look for 3 vacum lines coming out of it - 1 to intake, 1 to actuator and one to compressor housing)

a 3 port setup will work better than the standard 2 port set up and should allow a faster spool up and better boost control

link do recommend converting to a 3 port for these reasons so its on my list of mods to do, they supply one that works with their computer

i don't know whether it would work with the particular solinoid that blitz use (would need to check operating sense and current draw, etc) but as i say theres no reason why not to continue with the boost controler now you have it, you will still be able to log boost ok as it uses the map sensor for this

given that the link cost 500 pounds (maybe a bit more in europe) and includes a boost controller!! then it makes buying one seperately look a bit silly...20 20 hindsight being a great thing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the Blitz only uses a two port, but I'll check later. Yep 20/20 hindsight is good, I realised that it was a mistake to go for the remapped ECU and boost controller only after I had spent the money... For that money I would have a GEMS, mapped by a professional...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

well if you don't make mistakes you are not trying hard enough

you should consider mapping yourself as it turns into an analytical exercise much like analysing stocks and bonds etc you are not at the mercy of someone else who may (or may not) know what they are doing

also its overrated in terms of complexity

my car is mad now and it is cool to think 'i did that'

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get me wrong Andrew, my intetion is to map it myself if I can manage it, which I believe I can. Maybe I'll get some help of someone if I get stuck (maybe you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re

Michael,

Of course you can map it, just follow the correct rules, be patient and cautious, monitor important parameters, ie detonation, egt and air/fuel ratio and with good advice from others in the know like Andrew, you'll get there. Good to see more people interested in doing this, a couple of months ago when I posted about mapping my own ECU I got some sarcastic comments from certain people! Andrew, thanks for good info, keep it up.

Clivew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanks for the comments! and i am happy to help, also remember that u can pick up on what i have already done that will give you a head start

like clive i am keen to get a bit of a mapping group together so that we can compare notes etc which is why i've tried to get the ball rolling by posting my notes and maps on the web (actually i need to edit this page as it may be a bit cryptic). ive also made a few posts trying to push the point that its not as difficult as what every one thinks. of course if i did this for a living then i would try and scare everyone into thinking that its incredibly difficult and dangerous and fraught with danger to ensure that i maximised my business potential...

agreed it is time consuming (especially at first) just like learning any new skill but u quickly get it sussed and then obviously u can be quite smug as u listen to others worrying about which tuner to use

andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts