Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here got the Proflex competition suspension and can they give any comments good/bad/unbearable for road use/track use

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Have it and am very happy with it. As they are more efficient dampers you can get better performance with more comfort. The adjustment range is mind-boggling (i.e. haven't even tried one third of the possibilities).

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on your application, and which model of Drummond/Proflex you are talking about. I think that Drummond/Proflex/Ohlins are all pretty reputable competition suspension manufacturers. I have Drummond, but only because Proflex couldn't supply what I wanted. Ohlins are too expensive for me!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Michaelk, What spring rates are you using on your Proflex, and what sort of ride height do you have, bottom of arch to ground?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Springrate 52kilos front and back will have to check ride height as I've got it written down on some piece of paper somewhere...

For serious competition use there's only Proflex, Öhlins and the company that makes WRC shocks (can't remember their name). I don't think Drummond have the adjustability like Proflex and Öhlins (about 25-28 clicks on high speed bump, low speed bump and rebound). Don't know how the camber gets adjusted on them either, on Proflex you have different spacers with eccentric holes with which you have a large adjustment range (front).

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the DMS site, the material looks good but adjustment possibilities and cooling seems less good. Someone said they are thicker so wil heat less. Probably true to some degree, now if this compensates for the lack of separate gas canisters is another question.
In competition in Europe, they use Proflex, Öhlins and Dynamic suspensions. The Öhlins are supposed to be even smoother at high speeds and to have better absorption characteristics.
Ride height is usually measured from the wheelarch to the center of the wheel (not to the ground) and should be between 37 and 36 cm, depending on what look you want and what you use the car for. Below these values, the suspensions will lose some efficiency due to the fact that they cannot use the full length of the damper to do their job.
For tarmac, you should get spring rates between 5(0) and 7(0) in the front and 4(0) and 6(0) in the back. This is with road tires, not slicks and will keep some comfort. Above that you will need (semi)slicks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Try DMS,proflex,bilstein,ohlins, showa are making alot of good wrc shocks now, kyb also make some good stuff, but showa and kyb are hard to get.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Claudius if you keep on like that we will have to call you HH and people will have to stop taking the #### about you knowing nothing...

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Oli

I dont know about the standard intake manifold pressure because I havent decompressed the WSM yet

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah agreed. Suspension is key to driving fast and amp; safe. At the end of the day the factory set up is a compromise that is unlikely to suit the driving style and roads that each particular driver uses. Although I'm guessing that the setup on the evo is not too bad for such a compromise as I'm still trying to sort me an evo.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the standard setup has reasonable (not TOO soft) damping but the suspensions wont last. Simply too small and dual tubes... When you jump over small hills on back roads, they will not damp enough, springs will compress so that all the springs touch (if you know what I mean) and the sar will absorp the rest, which is obviously bad for it. Plus they are annoying to use, very spongy and losing a lot of stiffness over a very short period of time. Too much roll as well. This is, once again, due to the fact that they are dual tube technology dampers (MAXI and blade, this is the correct English term, I looked it up!) in small diameter.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
French prices, appearently lower than UK are:
Proflex with correct spring rate, 3 way adjustable (low and high speed bump and rebound) FRF 28000
Öhlins with right springs 2 way adjustable (bump and rebound) but appearently better at hi speeds FRF 37000
Dynamic with the right springs 2 way adjustable FRF 35000

You can of course choose spring rate to suit your needs.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
In the UK you are looking at about £3700 plus setting up for the Proflex Grp N fully adjustable!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts