Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have any experiance of proflex shocks or onlins,thinking of the fully adjustable proflex at around 3000 or the non adjustables at 1700 cant find a website or any details on web of onhlins or proflex.Although have heard that the top spec proflex adj need rebuilding quite often and have weak dirt seals .

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
I have the partially adjustable kit, and it is very good! my car is a evo6 makinen with an angine reduild (www.evoblast.com) and I am very happy with the proflex shocks. The car has less roll now and is much more stable when on full power exsiting a corner. the regular handling is also better, the original shocks tend to lock when meating a small hole or bump in the road transferring a loud bang to the car. with the proflex, you still have great feedback from the car but they handle the road surface much better.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Tried out Proflex 3 way adjustable, very good but not smooth enough. Very progressive however. They are very good quality. Dont know how often you need to replace the internals, but I guess the highest cost is the cost of acquisition. Why dont you get Öhlins? They are supposedly better and I heard they're smoother, especially on fast corners. They are GBP 3,500 so I'd rather get them than the Proflex. I will, actually. Remember suspensions and brakes is what makes you go fast.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I have the fully adjustable ones and it's true that you have to clean them out every now and then (in fact, I think it's time for my shocks again) and I have found reasonable amounts of dirt in them. It's not very difficult to do this yourself, you just need to know where to apply grease. I don't think they're too harsh, you can adjust them to the softest setting and your car will feel like an S-Class

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I have the full DMS setup, not the Ralliart ones. This uses the 60mm dampers, with adjustable ride height, bump AND rebound. The supplied springs were too soft for my liking,so changed them for an Eibach set. Coupled this with pillowball top mounts and powerflex bushing, along with ralliart front and rear strut brace. Loads of negative camber on the front. Awesome.

On full hard, it is a nightmare on the road - great on the track. On full soft, it isn't really that much harder than the standard evo - but zero roll (virtually). Handling was so good, that the standard recaros had to be ditched as they couldn't hold me properly anymore!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for feedback guys,just wondering though with my car being an rs i presume due to the 100kg or so difference between a gsr that the proflex are a the better choice as the group n and hillclimb boys use them and i can get the settings for road types etc for rebound etc.Any website for proflex or onhlins as i cannot find any specs etc??

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have the gr.n proflex fitted on my evo v rs.
They are a much better solution than the twin cylinder non adjustable ones as they are not bad but the hydraulic system is the same as some koni sports.

The gr.n suspensions are much more expensive,but will give you all the possible adjustments and will last longer under hard driving. You can also rebuild them when they are used.

The best ones are the ohlins but they cost around 3500£, then there are the proflex at around 2500£ and the dynamic suspension that are also used in gr.n.

I don't really know the DMS suspension, I think that they are single cylinder shocks as the gr.n ones but non adjustable without gas tank.

The proflex gas tanks shouldn't do any noise if they are fitted to the strut bar.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Maxi, mine are fitted to the strutbrace and I can still hear them. Could it be that you have a carbon strutbrace? Mine is metal and the noise travels into the chassis, but it's not loud. I can still hear it, though...

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I have a sparco strut bar, but my gas tanks are fitted in a carbon kevlar cylinder and then fixed to the strut brace.
I use a carbon kevlar protection cylinder made for the front suspension fork of the motocross bike.

you can see a picture of it on www.myevo.com in the tuning topic. You have to click the supersprint exhaust link.
Or on my web site communities.msn.com/EvolutionV

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
If there are hoses coming out of the top of the damper with a gas container attached to them (usually placed under the hood onto the strut brace or attached to the car) you have the real Proflex dampers. The will resist well to temperature increases (ie special stage), no foam will build and they wont get that spongy Koni feeling. If you do not see these gas containers, you have dual tube technology dampers, Konis basically.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, but I have to disagree Claudius. There is also a street version from Proflex which doesn't have gas canisters. And Roy, looking at the photo of your engine bay, you definitely don't have the Gr.N shocks as there are no gas canisters like Claudius said. I'm going to send some pics of my car to the LTR today...

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Claudius is right,
but what is saying is that Roy has the proflex street shocks fitted.

They are heigt and rebound adjustable but they keep the same twin cylinder tecnology as the standard shocks or koni.
They are ok for street use but have nothing to do with the real gr.n proflex that have high and low speed bound adjustement,rebound adjusment,separate gas tanks and bigger reversed monotube type cartidges.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
MichaelK

You agree with me, we are saying the same thing! There arer two kinds of Profley shocks:

1/ The street version without gas canisters, height asjustable, dual tube technology like Konis

2/ The GrN version with separate gas canisters, single tube technology, low speed bump, high speed bump and rebound adjustable. These will resist to high temperatures. The street version will become spongy because of its dual tube technology: oils will heat up and lose viscosity.

Street versions are OK for street use if you dont drive 30 miles like a maniac, but will not be up to it on the track or a longer back road.

Claudius

1 - 15 of 15 Posts