Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be buying car with a private plate on this weekend, the plate is stopping with the person who is selling the car. What is the process of taking the plate off? What plate do i give my insurance when i buy the car? The private plate or the normal plate? thanx.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
he has to either put the plate on retention £80 transfer fee plus £25 per year, or transfer it directly to another car.

This takes about 3 weeks and requires him to send off his V5 and MOT certificate and note his tax disk serial number and expiry date.

Legally he can't sell the car in the meantime, but it happens all the time.

I have sold a few on my plates and sent on the V5 with the change of plate details to the new owner.

Invariably it reverts to the old plate.

Give the insurance company the plate it is on and the chassis number as that won't change, and when he send you through the V5 tell your insurance company to change their records.

Make sure when you buy the car that you geta written receipt that details the chassis number of the car and confirms that the new V5 with the old plate will follow.

If you want to be absolutely sure, wait until he has the correct V5.

Bear in mind, he cannot give you the tear off V5c you will need to prove ownership for police and or taxation purposes, so you will be reliant on the receipt. This will most likely be good enough for the police if for some reason the car is reported stolen in the interim.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do. cheers! Anything else i should know? So i only get bill of sale instead of the green slip off log book, until plate transfer has taken place?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
not that I can think of.

he can't give you the slip as he needs the complete V5 to go away when he has the plate removed.

If he gives you the slip before the transfer, then the dvla will see it has been removed and wille xpect to see the change of vehicle ownership details filled in.

They won't do both processes at the same time, and if you get the V5C then legally you also own his private plate.

Ideally they should sort this so it could be done in one stage, but that would be far too sensible for the DVLA - the most ineffcient red taped government department there is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi there guys. just thought I would quickly hope on this thread as I have a similar dilemma. I have a private registration on my car and there is the possibility I might be swapping/part-exing it next week.
The problem arose today when I checked the DVLA website and found that it takes 3 weeks to put a plate on retention or to transfer it :O Just been reading your posts and just wondered if someone could clarify what you think I could do?

have him sign the V5 for mine and give him the new keeper supplement then take the V5 to the DVLA office and carry out the plate retention? does that mean it will be taken off and then the car will transfer in to his name?

Sorry but i'm pretty confused and don't have long to sort all this out :(

Cheers for any help!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you sell/part ex the car with your private plate still on, it becomes the new owners belonging. Id make sure the plate is sorted before selling the car as its a pain in the ass sorting it out after the car is sold as i found with mine 2 years ago. it takes 3 weeks to put the plate on retention but it only takes 5-7 working days to reinstate the original plate (or it was in my case)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts