Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I am currently looking at an Evo X for sale and am seeing the car this week - it's been a long and frustrating journey finding my first Evo.

Not knowing ANYTHING about exhausts, I have run into a dilemma as the MOT is due in a few months and the seller recommends sorting out a Cat beforehand.

The car has the following exhaust mods
Scorpion decat
Tomei down pipe
Kakimoto twin exit exhaust

Does anyone here know what installing a Cat is likely to cost? The car is top end of budget already and seller has graciously offered to knock a few hundred off.

I don't want to over-commit financially or be ungrateful to the seller.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,799 Posts
Does the owner still have the cat for you to fit? If so it's not a massive job to refit. If you need to get one yourself it's a different story. Probably not economical to buy a new one, a second hand one might not be in great condition. You could consider getting a new sports cat instead but even then you're probably talking £500 or thereabouts. I'd also want to know if the car has been remapped (I'm assuming it's not an SST) with the exhaust mods as if you're refitting the cat then a remap might be something else you'll want to put on your TODO list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the owner still have the cat for you to fit? If so it's not a massive job to refit. If you need to get one yourself it's a different story. Probably not economical to buy a new one, a second hand one might not be in great condition. You could consider getting a new sports cat instead but even then you're probably talking £500 or thereabouts. I'd also want to know if the car has been remapped (I'm assuming it's not an SST) with the exhaust mods as if you're refitting the cat then a remap might be something else you'll want to put on your TODO list.
Hi,

The owner doesn't have the cat but has offered some money off the price to help. The car is a very high spec SST- stated as a fast street car or track (400bhp). More power and upgrades than I need - just the only car that's come up in last 3 months within an hour of me that isn't being sold by a poorly-rated garage.

JE SRP 86mm pistons
Corridor H Beam rods with WMC bolts
ACL race rod Bearings
ACL race main bearings
ACL thrust washers
HKS MLS head gasket
ARP 625 custom age HKS
Honed cylinder bores
Machined cylinder head with 3 angle valve seats
Kelford 214C Camshafts
Supertech intake & exhaust dual valves

Would a sports cat guarantee an MOT pass? I'm beginning to think that if I install a stock exhaust instead then I might have to reverse-engineer all the engine mods too so the exhaust isn't over powered?

Thanks for your reply!! lots to think about.

·
Premium Member
Ruri Blue Evolution IX FQ340
614 Posts
Is it a private sale or a dealer ? Where are you based ? If it were me I’d be finding a garage that will MOT and pass it with the decat on. There’s plenty that will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a private sale or a dealer ? Where are you based ? If it were me I’d be finding a garage that will MOT and pass it with the decat on. There’s plenty that will.
Hi,

I'm based in Cambs. I wondered that - but don't know of any anecdotally.

·
Premium Member
22,007 Posts
Hi,

The owner doesn't have the cat but has offered some money off the price to help. The car is a very high spec SST- stated as a fast street car or track (400bhp). More power and upgrades than I need - just the only car that's come up in last 3 months within an hour of me that isn't being sold by a poorly-rated garage.

JE SRP 86mm pistons
Corridor H Beam rods with WMC bolts
ACL race rod Bearings
ACL race main bearings
ACL thrust washers
HKS MLS head gasket
ARP 625 custom age HKS
Honed cylinder bores
Machined cylinder head with 3 angle valve seats
Kelford 214C Camshafts
Supertech intake & exhaust dual valves

Would a sports cat guarantee an MOT pass? I'm beginning to think that if I install a stock exhaust instead then I might have to reverse-engineer all the engine mods too so the exhaust isn't over powered?

Thanks for your reply!! lots to think about.
Any work done on the SST gearbox? 400 is higher than usually achieved without uprated clutches too, not a mile off, but 380 is generally the norm on standard gearbox. Also do you know who did the work to the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any work done on the SST gearbox? 400 is higher than usually achieved without uprated clutches too, not a mile off, but 380 is generally the norm on standard gearbox. Also do you know who did the work to the car?
Hi Stu,

The advert says

"Gearbox rebuilt in 2014 and fitted with dobson super stock clutches.".

Ad doesn't state who did the work. Car has only done 40k+ miles so I am wondering how much time it has spent on the track...

The seller seems really pleasant and honest but I'm starting to wonder whether this car is out of my league as far as performance is concerned. I literally just want a clean Exo X (preferably manual but ok with SST) with fewer that 80k miles. Happy for 300, 330 or 360 for 18k or under.

Throw into this a minimum of AYC and timing chain sorted and no rust issues and I'm finding this super hard. I can budget for the upkeep but can't afford a big bill straight out of the block.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,007 Posts
Hi Stu,

The advert says

"Gearbox rebuilt in 2014 and fitted with dobson super stock clutches.".

Ad doesn't state who did the work. Car has only done 40k+ miles so I am wondering how much time it has spent on the track...

The seller seems really pleasant and honest but I'm starting to wonder whether this car is out of my league as far as performance is concerned. I literally just want a clean Exo X (preferably manual but ok with SST) with fewer that 80k miles. Happy for 300, 330 or 360 for 18k or under.

Throw into this a minimum of AYC and timing chain sorted and no rust issues and I'm finding this super hard. I can budget for the upkeep but can't afford a big bill straight out of the block.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,007 Posts
ahhh good, the dodsons are the general upgrade clutches for the sst. I have a X SST and have had it over 4 years now, coming on for 5 years. It wasn't really what I wanted after 14 years of a 5, but bought it as a stop gap car. The SST costs scared me, but I can honestly say the car has been the most reliable car i've ever owned. A well looked after sst for me makes a great car for road use and daily drive

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhh good, the dodsons are the general upgrade clutches for the sst. I have a X SST and have had it over 4 years now, coming on for 5 years. It wasn't really what I wanted after 14 years of a 5, but bought it as a stop gap car. The SST costs scared me, but I can honestly say the car has been the most reliable car i've ever owned. A well looked after sst for me makes a great car for road use and daily drive
Thanks Stu - your experience is helpful.

I'm going to call my local garage shortly then and see what their best cost/advice would be for the Cat/decat situation.

If the seller can help me cover this enough I'll be able to buy with more confidence otherwise i'll have to keep looking.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,799 Posts
If it's had all that done it will defo have had a remap too. The thing about remaps is that they are often "locked" so unless you take it to whoever did the original map and they agree to tweak it, you'll need to get someone else to map it from scratch. I've heard that some people do sometimes struggle to get a pass with a sports cat, but I'm not sure how common that is.

·
Premium Member
22,007 Posts
If it's had all that done it will defo have had a remap too. The thing about remaps is that they are often "locked" so unless you take it to whoever did the original map and they agree to tweak it, you'll need to get someone else to map it from scratch. I've heard that some people do sometimes struggle to get a pass with a sports cat, but I'm not sure how common that is.
To add to this, not sure if the same for the 10, but earlier evos often struggle to pass emissions even with a working cat. The advice was always get the cat hot before doing the test, this may help with a sports cat too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts