Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they compair to evo's? on paper they seem similar apart from skylines being heavier of course. (and more expensive)

Im primarily interested in gtr's but if you had a nice gts turbo, i would be interested in your opinions too.

·
North Scotland R.O
13,412 Posts
Done a few jobs on my mates R33 GTR V spec for the mot had the car for a week :D it suprised me i expected it to throw me back in the seat but its much smoother it had a bit of turbo lag but when it takes off it's like a plane you really got to look at the speedo to know just how fast you are going :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
22,090 Posts
I was supposed to buy a skyline when i got my evo, I test drove one and to be honest, i wasn't over impressed. It was standard, the car was smooth, but didn't feel fast (obviously it wasn't slow). The sales man convinced me to test drive the evo, and I reluctantly took it, as it was a skyline i wanted. 2 hours later I bought the evo and never looked back

Stu

·
Registered
219 Posts
Drive them both and choose what you think is best....
In standard form you will find the evo quicker but a few tweaks and the skyline comes into its own.....
I prefer the skyline over the Evo but there are many that think the evo is best..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Moses wat about me :cry:

Got my skyline standard and wasn't overly impressed either. Similar drive to an M3 with smooth power delivery but no real punch. These cars need upgrading PERIOD!

So had a stage 1(plugs, airfilter, full exhaust, hks f-con z with boost control etc, de-cat) done by AbbeySport bringing it up to the 420 mark and has totally transformed the car. It sounds awesome and pulls all the way up to the 150 mph mark. First and second give instantaneous power now similar to my old Evo. Going over 100 mph in a Skyline feels like about 70mph. you really don't know you are doing it.

Handling wise I'd say its up with the best. I can scream round bends on full throttle knowing my back end wont buckle. Admitedly I think the Evo has the edge on the twisties but it comes down to driver skills etc.

My brothers 400 bhp Tommi Mak is now evenly challenged. Personally for an everyday car the skyline has to be the one. My misses prefers it too saying its an easier drive.

Hopefully I'll see wat 700bhp feels like when I get the cash for my next upgrade. ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well i would think that it would depend on what kind of driving your doing. If you do a lot of motorway miles then the skyline would be the better prospect, at motorway speeds the skyline kills the evo.
But around town the evo would be nippier and more agile. The only problem is that all the little chav kids will wave at you and ask you dumb questions every time you get out of it. It just seems to be part and parcel with owning an evo, although i don't know how bad it is owning an r34 as i only had one for a week.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Having owned a gts turbo and driven a R33 GTR, I would say i much prefer the evo! Much more responsive, lot less lag, sharper and more neutral cornering. The skyline may be better on dual carriageways and motorways, but for driving thrills it has to be the evo for me.
Never driven a decently modded skyline though saying that!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My initial thoughts are here , although my opinion changed a bit over time as can be seen here

Basic message is what has already been said: standard GTR is a pretty rubbish drive compared to a standard Evo. Stage 1 GTR, as Evo6Sam says, is a transformed motor.

Still didn't stop me chucking my Stage 1 GTR mods money into the pot so I could get another Evo though. :D

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
My Skyline is hardly standard so it's a bit hard to compare...

It's a big car, as standard the power is a lot more linear than an Evo & it feels slower because there is no turbo kick.

A standard car feels wheesy & slow, because its so restricted, however when you consider 'stage 1' is 400bhp, then it starts to get fun.

Remember though, everything is more expensive.

A well driven Skyline is just as quick as a well driven Evo 99% of the time.

Go for it I say!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agree with C#

Although my skyline had a tendency to wierdly tramline on uneven surfaces.

I put it down to the 4ws

I cured it by not driving in the 1st lane on the motorway......god I was such a woman!

J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts