Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a morning.
Why is it that you go and look at a car and when you ask for a trade in value you get insulted? some fat git leans back in his leather chair and trys to justify the insult by waiving "glasses guide" in yer face....he didn't even come at look at the car. :mad:

I am not tarring all traders with the same brush but why do I always pick them? All I wanted to do was to downsize the V6 mondeo for a focus so I could get a 2 or a 3.

Oh well the Evo is going to have to wait abit longer :cry: ....good things come to he who waits and all that bo***cks

·
Registered
609 Posts
i had the same thing happen with me with a Seat dealer, they had it over xmas doing some warranty work on it, so i called the sales department and asked them to give me a price on it because i was buying the evo. Conversation started off nice but when i said i wasnt exchanging it for another Seat she went offish and promptly said we are not buying any cars at the moment.

Well.....less that a 10 days later my car was in there showroom up for sale. They got it via my part ex with xtreme when i brought the evo! They had a customer service email address on there web site.....so i told em what i thought!! :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My misses was due to pick up a Mini Cooper S on Saturday at Woolastone Mini in Northampton. When we initially viewed the car it had 4 new wheels and tyres (the prior owner had run the car on 16" wheels and refiited the 17's to sell it.) It was also agreed that a small scratch in the lacquer on one of the quarter panels be repaired and a small chip on the door edge be sorted.

She was informed the car was ready to collect so went down to pick it up the scratch and chips hadnt been repaired and the car now had 3 new tyres and one part worn one. When we questioned the dealer we where informed that we where wrong and that the tyres hadnt been changed and they had no record of work needing to be done to rectify the scratch and chip even though it was clearly printed on the sales invoice.

Suffice to say they where told where to stick their stupid car.
(and it was a stupid car to :D )

With regards the Seat Comments I got lobbed out of Milton Keynes Seat Main dealership for offering them 500 under list for a Leon Cupra R last year . I was prepared to buy the car there and then for cash no trade in. Lol Unbelievable it was very funny as the sales manager totally lost it went red and had steam coming out of his ears at my insult of an offer :D He lobbed me out and told me I could never have a Seat serviced at his garage. After a bit of antogonism and somemore fun at his expense I left and strangely enough had a phone cal less than 1 hour later apologising and offering me a car for the price I had offered. Obviously I told them where to stick it . :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what realy winds me up about these robbing bistids is after they insult you and offer you less than bottom book agaist a car that is clearly priced over top book, is the fact they have the cheek to say "the trade is quiet at the miniute" :confused:

Hey heads up guys :idea: if you stopped being such greedy bistids and trying to arse rape us on both the trade-in and the new car , you might actually do some business. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I though highway robbery died with Dick Turpin :tsk:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Believe it or not, dealers mostly run their sales (especially new sales) departments as loss leaders. By the time they have covered the expense of a fancy high profile showroom, lots of promo stuff and advertising and a few overfed salesmen it is rare that they make any money. The margins on new sales for some makes don't stand a chance of making a profit but a dealer is expected to be able to sell you a new car so he has to do it.

The service department on the other hand.........now that's a different story :eek:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Believe it or not, dealers mostly run their sales (especially new sales) departments as loss leaders. By the time they have covered the expense of a fancy high profile showroom, lots of promo stuff and advertising and a few overfed salesmen it is rare that they make any money. The margins on new sales for some makes don't stand a chance of making a profit but a dealer is expected to be able to sell you a new car so he has to do it.
:cry: :cry: Stop! Stop! I'm crying buckets here :cry: :cry: They are all simply robbing bastids who are out to extract the last penny they can from you!!!!
dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Youre right, businesses do have to make money.
But care dealers have a bit of a bad reputation as being robbers/dodgy call it what you will.

Some of me best friends are in the motor trade and they are reputable dealers, but I am still wary of going into a car dealers. I know there is plenty of good ones out there, but theres alway that voice in your head that says;

'Can I tust them?'

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Frog said:
You know what realy winds me up about these robbing bistids is after they insult you and offer you less than bottom book agaist a car that is clearly priced over top book, is the fact they have the cheek to say "the trade is quiet at the miniute" :confused:

Hey heads up guys :idea: if you stopped being such greedy bistids and trying to arse rape us on both the trade-in and the new car , you might actually do some business. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I though highway robbery died with Dick Turpin :tsk:
FYI, Cars very rarely go for 'book' money. The book is already a month out of date when published & a lot of cars still run a long way behind that. And yes, the trade is very quiet at the minute (speaking to friends who are in it).

Greedy? Really? You know the average margin in a new car do you? Most companies would refuse to operate with that as a clear margin, let alone as one that costs still have to come out of :rolleyes:

Black Knight said:
Shocked, Buisinesses have to make money???????
Lol, just what I was thinking :D

Look at it the flip side, what gives you the right to haggle for the price in the first place? You dont do £100's worth of shopping in Tesco's & turn round & say "i'll give you £70 for it mate".

A car is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it at the end of the day, not what you the consumer in your position armed with no knowledge 'thinks' its worth because you got it drummed into you that something like Parkers is the gospel of used car values.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Frog,

I'd be interested in the figures he quoted on the Mondy V6.

I sold an ST24 estate last June. I bought a packet of cheese and onion crisps with the proceeds! :eek:

That was after spending 300 quid on Autotrader advertising for 3 months! :(

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C# said:

You know the average margin in a new car do you?
All very valid comments mate and yes I was ranting abit because the deal or lack of it has made the Evo further away from me.

I have very close links to the trade and yes I am fully aware of the margins on single car sales, I am also fully aware of the "quota" bonuses that the dealers receive.

Its not so much the fact they offer you a poor price, its the way they hide behind a glasses guide and use it to distance themselves from the offer.

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Poxy car dealers

Sometimes they do you a favour by treating you badly. My wife and I both took half a day off work and booked a test drive in an XJR V8 when they came out in 1998. We arrived at the dealers at the appointed time to be told that the salesman was busy and nobody else could deal with us. After waiting an hour, I asked if we could simply have the keys to the XJR demo, which was sitting outside the showroom. The other sales staff said I couldn't do that even if they came with me. After another half hour we politely told them we had kids to pick up from school, we were leaving, and we would never consider spending £55000 with such a poor main dealer. It took threequarters of an hour to drive home. By the time we arrived there was a grovelling apology on our answerphone. The following day a lavish bouquet of flowers arrived for my wife at work, and a bottle of champagne was delivered to my premises with another apology. We enjoyed the flowers and the champagne but we never set foot in that garage again. The salesman concerned has since died and the garage has lost its Jag franchise.
I thought I'd just keep to Porsches, but my sons kept on and on about this Japanese car which was meant to be the fastest thing on the road - a thing called a Mitsubishi Evo. I was very sceptical, and when I saw an Evo in the flesh my worst fears were confirmed - a vulgar, bespoilered caraciture of a car. The salesman told me it was a satellite silver Evo V. I was not impressed, but I let him take me for a drive. Then I had a drive. The rest is history - I bought the car there and then and I'm still enjoying it. The poxy Jag salesman did me a favour! And think of the depreciation on XJRs - my mate lost £38000 in 3 years and 20000 miles with his XJR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts