Lancer Register Forum banner

Power Modifications – Best Road to take for my V RS

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  steve_barrow 
#1 ·
Last weekend I attended the rolling road day at TRL and my car achieved 293.6 bhp at the fly. A good starting point.:D

My plan is to increase this figure in stages and I'm looking for the most power efficient, cost effective modification plan. The fewer mods i take to get where I want ultimately the better.

Right now my car is more or less standard. The same day as my rolling road I had a Kakimoto cat back exhaust fitted. The car already has a Greddy boost gauge, however for some weird reason the wires have been cut (I traced the wires from the engine bay to where it has been cut as the wiring enters the car at the door grommet)?! I have no idea why it's been cut! The car has not been remapped and does not have any kind of boost controller fitted. I fitted an APS BOV when I bought the car.

For my next mod I'm looking to buy a TSL firestorm 3" downpipe and decat. At this stage I would like to buy an induction kit but unsure which one to buy. I've heard rumours that the HKS mushroom type filters are bad. Is this true and why is this? I also like the look of the metal Blitz cone filter kits. Do I need to relocate the battery in the boot for this mod?

What next ????:confused:-
More boost - I plan on fitting ARP head studs and some form of boost controller whether it be a MBC or an electronically controlled boost controller. I would like recommendations for what type of boost controller to use.
More fuel -
Pump -Uprading to a walbro 255 lph seems good enough for now. Injectors - I assume stock injectors are adequate until I upgrade the turbo? Fuel rail - see injectors
Tune - I'd like to get this right the first time. I really fancy learning how to tune my car myself, in a real world, on road scenario. If possible I'd like to learn these skills from a reputable tuner. If this ins't possible I'd like to learn off an MLR buddy or teach myself.
I know AMS in America achieve excellent results without the need of a standalone EMS by reflashing the OEM ECU. What software do they use to do this and can I use this on a E5 ECU? If the V ECU is no good for this what is THE best upgrade? What OEM ECU's can I swap to. Is this a waste of time what stand alone ECU is best to use? AEM EMS look good. I know they are a massive company that achieves awesome results in the tuning world. Linking an AEM EMS to AIM seems like a big plus too. Motec, Autronic etc I know nothing about.

Other modifications to fit in at some point-
Clutch - probably a twin plate exedy
Cams and vernier pullies - I'm thinking 272's something like HKS or GSC's and HKS verniers.
Intercooler - What is best for an Evo V? Do I buy off the shelf like the likes of a GReddy or having one custom made buy someone like Norris?

Ultmate goal when I have loadsa dosh
Turbo kit - Ultimately I'd like to work towards fitting a turbo kit. My kit of choice would be an AMS turbo kit. The choice between a 30r or 35r is a very tough decision. I like the idea of the 30r because of the noticeably faster spool. I prefer the idea having the power of the 35r but the higher spool is off putting as is the need to fully forge the engine to support this power.
Rods pistons, stroker crank - Manley and Ross and some form of stroker.
OK these are my thoughts.
Anything else I'm missing?

I'm really looking for advice for the structure of this modification route - stages if you like.

Any advice or comments welcomed.

Many thank

Karl :mitsi: :thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
The 3" downpipe and decat will be a good start. Once you have those done, I'd fit a high pressure fuel pump, boost controller and have it remapped. This is a fairly standard route to follow when tuning any turbocharged car. Getting a nice large cold air feed to the stock air box (with high flow element) will help here too. At this tune level, the stock air box will be your best bet induction wise as it will flow enough air and keep it cool too.

Uprated head bolts are a waste of time and money at this level of tune.

From there, you could add a set of more agressive cams. These will allow more air/ fuel in and more exhaust gas out. You'll need to have the map tweaked to suit these.
At this stage, you may want to get the rods and pistons swapped for forged items as you risk bending things at this torque level.

Once this is done, you can add more boost and max the turbo out. This again will require a map tweak to suit.

Then it's new turbo, stroker kit, intercooler etc, etc...

You'll probably want to get the clutch swapped out for a high clamping pressure replacement at the cam stage.

Uprated brakes and suspension should be an early consideration too...

Paul

#3 ·
what u need to decid is what power u want at the end as this will decide what route to take if going over 400bhp u will need to uprate your rods

also will u be doing the mods or will you be useing a tuner

if useing a tuner then talk to them as they will no what will take you to the power level you want

john

#9 · (Edited)
what u need to decid is what power u want at the end as this will decide what route to take if going over 400bhp u will need to uprate your rods

also will u be doing the mods or will you be useing a tuner

if useing a tuner then talk to them as they will no what will take you to the power level you want

john
I will be fitting all modifications where I can.
I'm not in it to chase numbers. I want a systematical approach that I can mod in stages and stop when I feel I have enough. There is such a think as too modified and I don't want to go past the limit of enjoyment ie a real handful that's scary not fun. I also want to keep the car reliable enough to be daily driven.

#4 ·
Forged Rods/Pistons
9 Turbo
Uprated 272 cams

...and you will go like a bomb in an RS, rememebr 400hp in a lightweight RS will feel different to a lardy 400hp 7/8/9

Think about better brakes and some good coilovers, no need for more than 450hp IMO.

#14 ·
Aswell mate, you said you didnt want it to be scary and a handfull. Having it forged/strokered and then strapping a big turbo kit (GT30/35) to an RS is defo gonna be scary and a handful! :eek:

It obviously depends on your budget aswell, what route you go down.

I bought the car with stage 1 mods; 3" turbo back exhaust, HKS filter, walbro pump.

First batch of mods, I had fitted; GSC S1R cams, fidenza pulleys, an Apexi boost controller and had it mapped by Matt @ TRL to approx 1.65bar. I never got a rolling road printout for this as his rollers were playing up at the time of it; but it is supposedly 380-390hp.

Then got a bit worried about flooring it incase one of the rods decided to go, so had the Norris Designs rod upgrade including a Cosworth headgasket and ARP Headstuds.

The car didnt really produce the power I was hoping for last weekend @ TRL though, and Matt thinks the stock intake pipework and HKS mushroom style filter is very restrictive. So I have just ordered a huge K&N filter, 3" alloy intake pipe, battery relocation kit, IX 80 series turbo, FP 950cc injectors and a Megan turbo elbow. With these fitted and another map tweak, and I should be hopefully around 420-430hp :naughty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.