Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing the Power Engineering website, they look like a professional outfit. I especially like the chart that shows what level of tuning you want showing the power increase and cost! Great.

However their de-limit chip for the EVO is £229.13 fitted inc VAT. I got my FTO delimit chip for £30-£40 (okay so I fitted it myself). This stands out as very expensive - is this reflected in the rest of their prices?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dave

You'll get a very mixed view of Power Engineering on here, both good and bad. I've only used their Rolling Road facilities, but found them pretty good. I think it may come down to who you deal with at PE.

I asked about their de-limiter too and was somewhat surprised by the price. I've seen Evo de-limiters (just supplied) from between £50 and £100 depending on whether you just want a de-limiter or KPH to MPH conversion too. Cheapest company was a Blackpool motorsport place, I'll see if I can find their name. I've decided not to bother with de-limiting my car as I will be changing the ECU soon.

I would say PE prices are about the same as other tuners from my experience.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have spent more then 7,000 GBP on tuning with PE, and was very very un happy. Look at www.evoblast.com (under tuning experience) for detail of some of the problems. I will never deal with PE again. It was a big mistake to go there in the first place (I was tempted by the web site).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I here what you are saying, but do you have any opinions on their remapped ECU's ?

From what ive heard, their remap is brilliant.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link to the EVOBlast website - I'll have a good look at that later.

Seems like this is all a bit of a minefield - no doubt people will have good and bad experiences with ALL tuners.

Just a quick note/question on back to back testing (as an example the air filter boxes that I saw on Power Engineering's site) - we (as the FTO Owners Club) bought a load of air filters and put them back to back on a rolling road. We found the ITG foam filter by far the best value but all (I think) of the boxed type actually LOST power. One of them by quite a margin. These boxed types seem quite popular in the EVO market...?

Has any back to back testing been done by the Lancer Turbo Register or any other clubs that will give an impartial view?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave

The whole matter of tuners is a minefield and there are people who have had good and bad experiences of all tuners. I believe that what differentiates them is how they sort out their problems. I know that in this regard Wazuptommi reports good things of RC Devs. and Blade thinks very highly of PE. I rate Ralliart.

Regarding the whole issue of choosing a tuner, Blade wrote some great words of wisdom some time back about choosing somebody close to you and be prepared to work with them to get the results you want. It often doesn't happen first time so being able to return easily is useful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,

opinions on tuners always brings out the flames.

I am interested in what you say about testing filters on an FTO. When you say a boxed filter what do you mean? Do you mean a filter element that fits into the standard air box or into another air box? Did you also measure inlet temperatures because pressure is only half the story and the cone type filter are more likely to pick up hot air rather than a box which you can direct cold air into. A rolling road would not give the same results as road testing due to lack of ram effect.

Having now got a pressure and temperature transmitters for my Fluke multimeter i want to measure pressure/temperature of various induction systems. If done at the same road speed and same rpm this should give comparative data betwen the various options. Any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a link to the testing that the FTO Owners Club did http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/performance/intakes/index.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave - you are confused! The boxes you see on PE's site are cold air intake boxes, which have a cone filter inside. This ensures that the air temperature is cooler, as air is fed (in this case) from below the front bumper. Cold air |EQU| consistent higher power (less variance due to temp. fluctuations). It also shields the air filter from hot engine warmed air!

There are various shielded boxes, and carbon air boxes too. The PE one is made by SPEC-R I believe and is quite good. The CUSCO one is good too ,but there are lots to choose from.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and amp;gt; Dave - you are confused!

You know me too well :)

The Ractive filter is a cone inside a housing ... (mistakenly in my post further up I said they lost power - we did do something with a product that lost power but obviously not this one, sorry for the confusion). However it was still beaten by others.

I know what you mean about the colder the air the better, less critical in a normally asprirated car I'll bet, which is probably why filters of this type came out worse.

I tested mods to my engine bay (a heat sheild between the engine and the filter) and it made about 3degC (lower) difference with it in place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About PE remapped ecu- from cost effective point of view, its not worth it. I paied over 1K GBP for phase 2 and the improvement was not that noticable. Buy a gems or motec, much better value for money. In my case, the car was not performing at all with the PE gear as the catalyst was completely blocked (as purchased from PE), have a look at pictures on www.evoblast.com
I am not sure that all tuners have good and bad reviews. The tuner I am working with now, prospeed racing (www.autoracing.nu) are one example of a tuner that dont have major compalints about. if they make a mistake, they will fix it for you. PE on the other hand, have tons of complaints. The problem with them is that they will look after you until they get the cash. after that- its a different story. and they have or at least had many quality problems. with my conversion, almost everything they did did not work or failed at one point of time. that is why today, i dont have anything from PE on my car, I just through it all away....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think PE have a problem from being a bit too big and dealing with too many different kinds of work. They are capable of good work, or individuals are. The parts are all bought in, and their exhausts are made by Cheesmans, who are extremely well regarded as exhaust makers (believe that make the Macca F1 exhaust). I think Roy was unlucky with the cats (strange one that) - but the other problems were inexcusable. I understand Blade has had alot of success, but I bet he has had issues too. The more cars a tuner works on the greater the chance of a problem occuring. The bigger the company, the higher the costs, the less care taken and so on....

I reckon the one-man-band (or smallish company) is your best bet, as you get a dedicated service.

Try MA developments, or Dragon - they both have good reputations.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i can recommend a p.e. re-map
i have changed from sport ecu ,and wont be changing back !
was mapped specifically for my car .....which is obviously going to give the best results

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mouton

can you give me some details of what you have on your car, and how much PE charged, as i am interested you changed from the Sports ECU, was there any particular reasons?? as you bought yours the same time as mine.

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im 99.9% getting the PE remap for my car next week,
just need to sort out the best ££££ deal.

Cant bloody wait, no more fuel cuts at 1.1;
looking forwards to 350bhp @1.4...........................

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
justin,if you dont buy one,at the price you have been quoted.....
then you dont really want one !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heheehehe....I hear what you are saying mate, but one
of my trade customers is well in with PE and im waiting
to see what he comes up with first, every little bit really
does help me at the mo'

I have decided I really want it fitted by PE and get the car
on the rollers whilst im there, just for peace of mind.

Defo' early next week !!!!!!!!!!!!

Im bored sh1tless of just 300bhp, its too slow....... ;)

ps I hope your bits arrived ?

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes my bits arrived,on time,correct bits,nothing missing.........you wont last long in this game with service like that !!!!

Im still trying to get the shine off them,thrown them in the garage to get trampled on for a few days,gonna find some waste diesel oil to boil them in,and a bit of work with the grinder ,then they should be down to my standard,and ready to fit....... shiny is for harley davidsons and scooter mirrors !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.