Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my Evo 6 RSX, and have noticed a peculiar problem.

Periodically, it appears that the whole electrical system in the car is subject to a large power drain. Initially, I thought that it occurred only when the air conditioning compressor kicked in, but now I'm not so sure.

The basic symptom is that all lights in the car momentarily dim on a regular basis. This is most pronounced at night, when the headlamps and dash lighting almost go out, albeit for just a fraction of a second.

I'm pretty sure that this is not normal, but does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing it?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

P.S. I will obviously be taking it up with Ralliart in the morning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The headlights do dim noticably when the fans kick in (condensor or cooling) but I haven't noticed the dash lights dim, then again I was probably looking at the road! Get it checked out to be on the safe side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My E4 used to do this and then one day it went completely dead,.......

The fault was the battery terminals. They are rather small on an EVO and you may find that a terminal has come loose.

The constant arching on the post caused a carbon like coating and eventually this became an insulator.

Just give them both a wiggle and see if they are loose..... if they are then remove them both and clean up the terminals on the battery with VERY fine sand paper - grease them and put them back tight. be careful not to momentarily touch them and make sure everything is turned off first

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Heave Ho Six / Jon.

I didn't think it was the air con. kicking in that was causing this.

All I can say is that those fans must draw a helluva current. It's beginning to make me wonder if I shouldn't be uprating the battery and alternator before I fit all my stereo gear.

I'll definitely check the battery terminals, just in case there is anything amiss.

Thanks again guys. I'll stop worrying know, and enjoy the driving http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Andy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, the reply is a bit after the event.
Jon's diagnosis could well be correct. My six has a loose Positive battery terminal connection also and I'll bet a lot of
other evo's do too. The connector cannot be closed sufficiently to ensure a good tight grip. Its a sort of piggy back
type connector the other part of which connects to the AYC fuse.

One of the down sides of having an homologation special I guess. Because its never made in production
quantities, the little problems are never completely ironed out.

Still a great drive though. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

-Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are fitting a lot of ICE then I would upgrade the battery. I have a radio/cassette plus 6 disc changer that came with the car and its fine on the standard battery. If you are going into serious ICE territory (high power amps, TV, Sat Nav etc. etc) then I would consider an upgraded battery and perhaps alternator as you suggested. I am no ICE expert though.

Good tip about the battery terminals I will have to watch out for that and it is probably what is happening to you from the symptoms you describe. You definitely sound as if you have a high resistance link somewhere that is acting like a 'fuse'. When you have a large load the 'fuse' is breaking down causing you to lose power but when the load drops the current flows again. This is typical of a corroded or loose contact somewhere in the system. If its not the battery terminal then it is a connection in the power distribution side as your whole car seems to be effected. Start from the battery and work your way back to the relay/fuse box. Get under the bonnet and start wiggling those connections/fuses!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from my local Mitsubishi dealer (Mill Lane in Odiham), and it turns out that my battery is duff. They've ordered me a new one, which I'll get fitted at the 1000 mile service.

On a different note, the service technician there was very knowledgeable, and gave me a good feeling that my car would be well looked after.

Andy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this - when I stop my car (say at a junction or lights),after a few seconds the dipped beam gradually changes to dim dipped. As soon a you move off, full dipped beam returns!!

I think this is after market, certainly the car had a mega sound system back in Japan, as the wiring and mounting for all the amps, extra battery and speakers where left in the car (no goodies though http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > ). You can see where my Jap friend has been resting his right arm on the door trim while cruising the streets, causing bystanders ears to bleed [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

Is this unique to my car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had my e6 now for about 8 months, its still got the standard battery, ive put a whole load of stereo gear in. What i would recommend you do, if your going to put in high power amps, is uprate the battery ground lead of the chassis, to at least 2 guage wire. My cars' been sitting around lately (still havent bothered to get any tyres yet!!!) but my battery hasnt gone dead once (Probably go home tonight and find its completely dead!!!) I also find my lights dim, either when i have the volume up high, or when the AC of some fan kick in, i thought this was quite normal?

Thats my 2p worth, later

Prit

PS spotted a black E6 going into towards Slough from Iver Heath, anybody here??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Bagpuss are you going to the Southern Rolling road day?, see you there if you are. Should get my reg transferred tomorrow if all goes as planned. Watch out for N6 GSR (Iceelle Blue E6 GSR) in the North Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex area and give me a wave or flash (ohh err!).
I don't believe it this week, I don't see another Evo on the road for months then I see 3 in 3 days gaining an Evo series each time!
Evo 4 on Monday (Blue, P4 GSR on the Dennis's roundabout at Guildford)
Evo 5 in Tuesday (Silver, Just outside my house, Passfield near Liphook, I think I scared him when I flashed my lights at him!)
Evo 6 today (Black, on the Haslemere to Milford road just south of Brook, you were going North up the hill, I was going the other way. Nice overtaking spot there!)

A the above any people on here?

I guess this means I will see a TME tommorrow?

Hey sorry to go off topic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RS Pilot,
It is usual for drivers in Japan to dim their lights when sitting still in traffic as a courtesy to other drivers. Maybe, as you say, your car has an after market gizmo to do this automatically?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,
I'll be @ the southern R/R day so I look forward to see u lot there. I've got a big ICE install in my evo still running standard(although it is the bigger version) battery. Had no problems except the lights diming when the fans cut in. After leaving the car parked up for a while my battery went dead(set my alarm off at 2am). Had to call out the Recovery people to get it started but it has been ok since(touch wood)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure that upgrading the battery for a high output stereo system is really needed ????????

.........Unless you are gonna be listening to it without the engine running.

While the engine is running the alternators on Evo's are more than capable of charging a good standard battery and running HID lights,plus Heated screens and A/C etc. The battery just serves as a storage medium when the engine is on and the alternator becomes the pwr source for all electrical components. To test this theory put on your head lights and turn up your stereo LOADS..... Do you see the lights dimming in time with the music ???

I would be very suprised if you do !......then again if you do experience this disco type display then you may well need to upgrade both the battery and alternator.......

PS Pilot,

The slight dimming is normal when at idle due to the fact that alternators don't work until 1000-1200 rpm upwards. The EVO's idle at 850-900 rpm so the battery takes over until the revs rise enough to make the alternator work.

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jonathon,

When the car stops, it isn't a slight dimming, it goes to a proper dim dipped over 3 or 4 seconds. Revving the engine does bot all. The first time I noticed it was when I tried to adjust the beam height against the garage door - I didn't know how I managed to find my way home with such poor lights. As soon as you start to roll (including neutral at idle) the lights come back to full power. My thoughts were that it was to help the alternator on idle when my Jap friend was annoying the full southern hemisphere with the stereo. Matthew could be right if this is normal driving culture in Japan. The previous owner may have just been a lazy sod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jon,
I did say you may need an uprated battery for a serious ICE install, perhaps I should have said a **SERIOUS** ICE install?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RS Pilot,

Thats queer......Oooooh where's me wash board !!!!! (Arthur Atkins quote for Heave Ho Six !)

You may have a gismo which is designed to save fuel and help gain pwr. I read somewhere that there was a product which would give you better consumption by only switching the alternator in when needed. Something like an ALTsaver .

Anyone care to help me out on this ?......My memory aint what it used to be since the lobotomy.

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get full-on power cut at times when the engine and electrics just die (in the fast lane of motorways, at night, in the pouring rain usually!!). Had it 3 times now. Boy will I be sanding/greasing up those battery poles tonight http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

I've got a reasonably decent stereo system which I've had fitted with a separate battery on a split charge system with uprated cabling. I hope it's not that buggering the car up!

Evos have ####y little batteries anyway (greys being even smaller than the torch battery in the Ralliart cars!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jonathon,

I'm not sure what the gizmo is but it only seems to affect the dipped beam circuit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What you have is an Ultra electronics product called Auto Dim. It varies your head lights according to vehicle speed. You can find info on this more or less useless thing (although it's cool you have it, you're probably the only one!) at http://www.takakaira.co.jp/php/template.php3?id|EQU|563 and amp;cat|EQU|2

Don't save too much energy, you might go faster than everybody else!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Ultra Autodim system sounds like a load of old Pony to me !!!!

I checked out the link and had a read thru the info.......

Just what might happen when you are waiting at some traffic lights with your lights dimmed in a badly lit area ?

You may get pranged by some careless t****r who didn't see you cos of your dimmed lights ?

If it was on my car I would remove it for safety's sake !

jonathan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts