Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an evo 4 and have just experienced something i`m not sure of! before i take it to a garage i wondered if any one can clarify for me or allay my paranoia! when cruising at motorway speeds, top gear then putting foot down hard the car seems to not respond very quickly although it makes the right noises, then the acceleration is there as good as it should be with a relating rise in revs, whilst looking at the boost gauge this seems to tally as well, i think this is showing signs of clutch slip, but cannot really get it to do it in lower gears under same circumstances, does any one think this is so or experienced the same or is it turbo lag??? i do know how hard these cars are on clutches and although the car is driven as it should be some times i do exercise care with the clutch,
finally if it is the clutch can anyone recommend the best replacement, as there seem to be a few to chose from, and what realistically this is going to cost, cheers muchly to you in advance.

Steve P401WKX.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steve,

I have just tonight on my way to an Ltr meeting, had the same experience.
Toe it in 5th revs rise and then car picks up.
Its definately the clutch,I ve just been waiting for this to happen.
Done 20.000 miles on it,and some harsh starts.
I will be going for an upgrade ,Either a helix from co-ord sport or an AP racing organic.Both around £350 |PLS| fitting ,not mitsi dealer as they charge the earth.
standard clutch should be around 200|PLS| vat for clutch cover and plate.

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep i can confirm this now, wishful thinking that it was any thing else really,after some abuse it is showing itself elsewhere, wont be fitting a paddle clutch tho`

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as you know that your clutch is dead, be as gentle with it as possible. The standard flywheel is very prone to heat damage and if you keep spinning the clutch then you will end up having to buy a new flywheel. I have had to buy three new flywheels (for the four clutches that I have changed)and after the first one I have always driven very gently to minimise slipping.
I would recommend that as soon as it starts slipping the clutch is replaced ASAP (It is a fact of life that it is not going to get better) this may save you money in the long run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers!!!
car is booked in to have clutch replaced in 2 weeks. till then it`s staying in the garage!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark.

I have been running my car with care now I know its nearly dead.
I use the car every day ,Its just being able to get to the right people to fit it.
I must admit firesorter I parked my car up for a number of weeks and It cost me a fortune as the brakes pistons seized.
Just take it for a light run every other night just to keep everything working ok,engine oil circulation etc.
cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually i`ve got it in there now! couldnt wait ADI motorsport in Leighton Buzzard, they rally IV`s so seem to know what their doing and at a good price, let you know how we got on, oh their sdervicing it for me too!!! ayc aswell!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts