Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any gain to be had from polishing the exh gas headers and turbo elbow?

I was reading on a US forum that is was a good idea, but someone told me the other day, "why bother"

So now i'm confused!

whats the deal?

Do or dont?

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
The art of maximising airflow by polishing and smoothing intake and exhaust tracts is an admirable one. Done to increase the flow of precious air to the cylinders it can lead to big gains...for an n/a engine anyway.

My understanding is that forced induction overtakes the gains made by port polishing, and that more effective gains can be had by using other means on a turbocharged engine e.g. upping the boost pressure, lowering the intake temperature, increasing the compressor efficiency etc.. That's not to say that it won't have an effect, but consider this:

Stock 2.0l n/a - 150hp
Ported and polished 2.0l n/a - 160?hp (7% increase)

Turbocharged 2.0l - 200hp
Ported and polished turbocharged 2.0l - 210?hp (5% increase)
Turbocharged 2.0l with 0.2bar boost increase - 220?hp (10% increase)

All these figures are guesstimates, but you get the idea.

Bang for your buck, all that expensive breathing work isn't too clever.

Ultimately, porting and polishing will always add to an engine's ability to breathe and therefore produce power, but if other easier & cheaper options to increase power are still available, why bother unless you're going all out for absolute power and intend doing the whole lot anyway?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.