Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Firstly let me wish you all a very merry xmas and a fast new year!

I am slightly worried about all this track day malarky! I have been speaking to Blade for quite some time about my car and i have told him on many an occassion that i would love to have a go on the track on a track day, just for the experience, he has been extemely kind and offered me good advise as being truthful i am slightly nervous of showing myself up and not doing the car justice, its a powerful car, in my opinion, not as quick as many on this site by far, but a lot quicker than standard, and would love to throw the car round in true fashion and give it a whirl, but after reading all the threads on the Oulton Day fiasco i'm not so sure any more, i believe there is too much hype, i thought it was there for enjoyment, i spend a lot of money ( not half as much as a lot ) on my car, tuning etc but feel i would be intimidated judging by your postings referring to that particular day! Only a few said how much they actually enjoyed it! A lot just posted about other peoples mistakes, do they do these track days when you can go round on their own? I'm terrified now in case i get too near another car or god forbid overtake, or is that not allowed?? I would love to see Blades car in full flight with no problems, its a shame he feels he the way he does now! I hope after all this someone has some encouragement for me to have a go cos at the moment i am completely put off!!
BTW got the Dukes vid for crimbo - great checkered trouser Darin!!!:)
DEbs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You are not alone!
I felt the same way after reading the stuff that was written about Oulton Park. Not so much about being shown up by faster machinery or more experienced people but the fact it sounded like there were some people on the track that simply shouldn't have been there and it sounded bloody dangerous!
Was Oulton a one off? How common is it for the idiot brigade to spoil it and does it get sorted out by the Marshalls?
I thought trackdays were for fun and to improve your driving skills and it certainly seemed that Oulton was spoilt from the postings I read? I can't believe the day was as bad as was made out but if trackdays are like that then I for one won't be attending any.
I think the problem was that it was a non-MLR day and everyone under the sun and their dog turned up? Hopefully MLR days are a lot more friendly ;)

Comments are appreciated for at least two people who are considering giving up on trackdays before we have even started!
(Blade has helped me put my mind at ease but any other comments?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done 6 track days now, 5 SIDC days and an Easy track day. Not once did I feel intimidated by anyone or get slagged off by anyone as far as I know. I'm not the quickest out there and certainly not the slowest, but generally I've always found that if you are sensible and courteous yourself, no one gives you a hard time.
I think a lot of banter at Oulton started the day before and from there some people had something to prove to each other! On the last SIDC day at Donno my wife had a go and being her first time was quite slow. She simply let people overtake on the straights when they were behind and then carried on once they were past. Don't forget this is a Subaru day and we were in a sligthly modded Evo VI and a few UK Subarus were going past us then. Hell I even span twice getting over enthusiastic but no one made any comments because I didn't make any statements in the first place.
Basically no one expects you to be Tommi Mak unless you brag you are. Just cos you've got the car doesn't mean you have to drive it the same. Try one and you'll see for yourself, but I guarantee no one will give you any stick unless you start knocking them or being a road hog on the track. Also it's the safest place you'll get to learn how to drive your car fast!!!
Regards
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Debs

As one of the people who passed comment on certain unsavory goings on, I am sure that this was a one off caused by a misplaced sense of rivalry. Some people took particular pleasure in buzzing people in cars tuned by rival companies. I am certain that this is not usual behavior at track days and that if you go to a general track day, like the ones that Blade normally goes to, you will enjoy it and not find it at all threatening.

Go for it. I am sure that Oulton was a 1 off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Debs,

Don't worry and go for it. The whole point is to have fun and not to compete with everyone else. As long as you can handle some people being faster than and let them past, and not hassle the slower folks, there's no hassle. Oulton sounded like a bit of a tuners run-in, but most track days are not like that. You'll always get one or two knobheads at any trackday who drive badly but they usually get spotted and 'dealt with' pretty quickly.

I turned up to the last 2 MLR trackdays in a car that was giving away 150-200 bhp to most Evo's, so was way off the pace in a staight line, and still had a ball.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Debs,

Don't be put off!

I've organised trackdays now for the past five years with the initial aim of providing everyone not only with the chance to drive their car in a relatively safe environment, but with the free tuition the MLR offers via it's instructors (Mark, Graeme and more recently Charlotte), the chance to develop their own abilities and learn more about car control whilst having a bloody good time. . . . and most people get just that from them!

Obviously the levels of car performance vary as do the levels of driver experience, but everyone has to start somewhere. It sounds simple but all people should really remember is 'it's not a race' and to be considerate of the others on the circuit - whether they're about to be the 'overtaker', or the 'overtaken'. :D If there is a 'bully' on the circuit, report him (or her!).

Whether your first trackday is an MLR one or not, all I would advise is that you attend a day which is run by an established organiser, pay close attention during the driver's briefing and throughout the sighting laps, and get an instructor to sit with you as soon as you can (there is no better way to learn!) and just take your time building up both your speed and confidence throughout the day, and I guarantee you'll leave feeling euphoric!!

All that's left to say is: Go for it, and have a great time!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Debs

Trackdays are great fun and should be enjoyed by everybody It would be a shame if you never tried one.

Ignore the comments about Oulton I have now done 3 there and enjoyed everyone.

In my Xmas stocking I recieved a DVD called Trackday Warriors it would give you a Idea what goes on.

If you want to a track day Bookatrack have one at Anglesey on the 30th December.

Good Luck

Happy Xmas and Happy new year to everybody.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record I can comment because I was there,it was a great day ,the standard of driving was very high,there was some rivalry but that always happens.The critics have given a totally wrong picture of the happenings at Oulton Park,please dont be put of by them they are only two out of Fifty Six ,one of which has left this Forum in a sulk.Simon should buy a soapbox and go to Hyde Park no one would listen to him but Im sure he would feel better.

HH6 are you seriously taken in by all the bullshit that has been spoken about the day?It wasnt bloody dangerous the only dangerous thing that is happenning here is people like you believing all the bullshit ,

Debs take no notice it was a safe,highly enjoyable day,the standard of driving was the best I have encountered .You always get some drivers who overeach themselves,thats called finding your limit,Simon had a car spin in front of him and complained bitterly,that just shows his inexperience of trackdays,it was his first and quiet frankly I hope its his last.I went to the MLR day at Snetterton believe me the standard of driving on that day left a lot to be desired,in one lap I had 4 cars spin in front of me going to quick in very wet conditions,so wet in fact that the session should have been red flagged but it wasnt.I dont believe you have seen me complain about Snetterton.The reason is overall it was a good day and you have to accept that there is no such thing as a perfect track day.

When you have 20-30 drivers out on a track in one session,all with different levels of skill and experience and driving cars with mixed performance....work it out for yourself I would say if you are of a nervous disposition and easily unsettled like Simon stay away.Otherwise you will spend more time on this forum whinging than the time you will spend on the track.

When you decide to go to the next day let us know ,I always go with my wife she loves track days and maybe you could take her round.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Debs, Can I suggest you go to an MLR organised trackday as a spectator first. You will not feel at all nervous or pressurised as you are just going to watch. After a while ask someone if they would take you for a couple of laps in their car at a sensible pace so as you get an idea of what it's like being on track . I'll gamble that by afternoon time you'll be dying to get your own car on the circuit for a few laps driving on your own!!! I've been to an MLR trackday and found it very enjoyable not at all like has been reported here,also as has been suggested go out with a female instuctor first to give you the confidence. After reading your post I'm going to suggest something to Darin regarding first time track drivers. Hope this helps to calm your nerves a little!! All the best, Victor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original Post:
(Mark, Graeme and more recently Charlotte), the chance to develop their own abilities and learn more about car control whilst having a bloody good time. . . . and most people get just that from them!
[/I]
Darin,
Is that Charlotte Osborne? If so please do say hi from me (Dubbs), she knows me well from the Maxtrack/TVR days where we not only used to use her for the MAxTrack days but also go and watch her race (we sponsored a tuscan race for her once with the TVRCC). She's a fantastic racer and one of the best instructors there is. We use to use her and Jay Shepherd on a regular (ish) basis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only done a few track dyas in the EVO, but have to say that they have all been brilliant. just need to sort my driving out now!!!!

My girlfriend was very nervous about driving, but went out with Graham at Oulton, and had a really good drive. She even started to tell me where I was going wrong!

Easiest thing to do, is go along to a day, and blag a few passenger laps to get the feel of things. Angelsey on the 30th sounds like a good idea, Ive just booked.

Another approach, might be to do a few airfield days first, as there is far less chance of any serious damage to you/car. Only downside is that they are very hard on tyres etc. Still good fun, to see what the car can really do.

Adrian (If anyone wants to go out as a passenger come and have a chat Silver E6 K333ELY)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the words of Wazuptommi, to set the record straight, I am personally aware of 7 people who commented about the agressive nature of the Evo driving that day. There were even comments on the organisers own forum. This is not pointing fingers at anybody, just passing a general comment. None of us have given the Evo a good name from all of this. To the outside world we were ALL behaving like prats while inside the Evo world it has led to bitterness and disagreement. I would have thought that it is probably a good idea if all Evo drivers do their best to avoid confrontation at these types of event in future.

I should also add that nobody, to my knowledge, had a single bad word to say about Wazuptommi's driving on the day. What I saw of he was probably amongst the more responsible and sensible of the Evos on the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your feedback, i must say that i am now starting to look forward to having a go round the track again, like was suggested i would like to have a go on a first timer basis, not necessarily a day for first timers but an hour or so just to get used to everything about the car and track without having to worry about the David Coultards of the evo world sitting behind ya making you nervous! Last thing i wanna do is hold people up! Anyway, i'm looking forward to giving it a go, next thing to find out is when and where?

Debs

P.S. Have a great new year, and leave the evo's in the garage for the night!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Debs,

Just to throw a couple more comments in ...

I've done 7 trackdays over the last couple of years.

3 were with MLR and I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the organisation and/or safety. The instructors are good and are pretty considerate towards novices.

2 were with Bookatrack. Donington Park was (IMO) less safe than Oulton. The overall standard of driving was the best I've seen but there were some inflated egos (especially a couple of Porsche-driving lunatics at Donington) and I wouldn't recommend Bookatrack for the beginner.

1 with Trackfun at Bruntingthorpe. A nice bunch of guys with cars tending more towards the exotica (Maserati, Ferrari, Porsche etc.). Average driving (sedate could be the right word in certain cases). Expensive.

1 with Easytrack at Kemble Airfield. Excellent day, great venue and, in my opinion, great for beginners. Kemble/Easytrack also run novice days. This would be my first recommendation for a first trackday. That or an MLR day.

Hope that helps and have a great New Year (everyone)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think there should be speed limits on track days, otherwise things get too dangerous! Also, overtaking should be forbidden, it could scare the person you are overtaking. Cornering speeds must be even more restricted, as someone could spin off in front of you, as happened to Simon. Imagine that, he could have hit the guy, broken the car, and maybe even injured some one. I cannot believe that rude and respect-lacking people in highly tuned Evos are allowed to drive on such track days! It puts peoples lives at risk!!

More seriously, why dont the people who are scared or slow or both let the other pass and shut up and get some driving instruction?!

Love and peace and a Happy New Year to All, slow or fast, white or black :)

Your friend Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Claudious,you are joking are'nt you?:)

I agree with your second comment completely, Happy New Year

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That'll be Claudius Tongue firmly in cheek v1.2

See you at the Ring next year.

Have a happy slow year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PeDe: Who has post? What do you mean? Are you aware that pede in French means gay? And doof, are you aware doof is German for stupid? :D LOL

Wazup: yes that is what they call irony. I started the 2nd paragraph with More seriously because the first one wasnt serious.

CliveW: I wish you a happy new year as well, as to everybody else. As for being slow, there isnt much of a choice given the car I've got. But I am waiting for a proposal from JUN for a complete engine. I wonder who the guy is that has a JUN technician come to France?! They should come by my place! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts