Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
learning to play the guitar

Sat at work one day and decided that I'd like to play the guitar, anyway went to a music store after work and made the purchase. I bought an electric guitar with an amp and bag etc etc. :rolleyes:

Anyway due to work been the way it is I can't really book weekly lessons, so my question is. Are there any websites that you could recommend to help me learn, I'm starting from scratch and don't want to just have the guitar gathering dust. I have done some google searches but alot take you too a front page promising this, that and the other, but obviously they want paying (understandable) and I don't mind paying but would rather have some sort of recommendations from folk.

Cheers

Matt :smthumbup

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Neil got a electric guitar for his birthday in November, he has got some dvds that he is working through. Its not easy mind and you will end up with sore fingers and wanting to give it up. It's all in the pratice neil finds it helps if he does approx 1hr a day. There are some lessons on you tube, also do a search for guitar tabs. He also buys total guitarmag which recently started a section call guitar for beginners.

Good luck and buy yourself a electronic tuner for it you will need it.

Kat

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I've been looking on youtube, bit difficult to make some of the stuff out though. I'll do a search for tabs and see about getting some more dvd's, the guitar I've got has a tuner built into it, didn't even notice it for the first day or two :rolleyes:

I'll also keep an eye out for the mag and as for the fingers, in about ten mins they start to hurt :wallbang:

Cheers :smthumbup

·
Registered
65 Posts
Practice Practice Practice!!! You will have sore fingers for the first week or two untill you get used to fretting (pressing) the strings. Start out simple by learning the 7 basic chords A-B-C-D-E-F-G. Get yourself a diagram of the position of all the notes on the fretboard.. Helps you learn the notes instead of just the fret numbers. Learn to read tab.. A numbered form of musical notation.

www.ultimate-guitar.com has some nice tutorials and hundreds of tabs.. you can find just about any song on there.

What kind of music you in to? Might be able to recommend a few easy songs to your taste to learn.

·
Administrator
29,355 Posts
Practice Practice Practice!!! You will have sore fingers for the first week or two untill you get used to fretting (pressing) the strings. Start out simple by learning the 7 basic chords A-B-C-D-E-F-G. Get yourself a diagram of the position of all the notes on the fretboard.. Helps you learn the notes instead of just the fret numbers. Learn to read tab.. A numbered form of musical notation.

www.ultimate-guitar.com has some nice tutorials and hundreds of tabs.. you can find just about any song on there.

What kind of music you in to? Might be able to recommend a few easy songs thats your taste to learn.
Sore fingers for a week :eek: bit more than that :crackup:

I actually went for lessons, but explained that I didn't actually want to learn to play the guitar per say (sp?) but to learn to play some songs/ tunes. One of my first was an Oasis tune, gave me more incentive than learning cords and notes.... find a good tutor that will teach you the way that you feel happiest learning :D And most important - enjoy it - it's supposed to be fun, not a chore :)

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Learning from guitar technique lessons is pretty dull and in my opinion turns a lot of people off as it's relentless and unrewarding.

You need something to keep your enthusiasm up because it's going to take a lot of practice! Try and learn some favourite soings and play along too, but don't rush it. You'll get there eventually, usually when you don't expect it and you're not trying so hard.

Get involved with as many musicians as you can do as it can be inspiring and again keep your interest. After messing around with guitars for a few years, I got involved with a band and my learning and skill levels improved in hardly no time in comparison.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Sore fingers for a week :eek: bit more than that :crackup:

I actually went for lessons, but explained that I didn't actually want to learn to play the guitar per say (sp?) but to learn to play some songs/ tunes. One of my first was an Oasis tune, gave me more incentive than learning cords and notes.... find a good tutor that will teach you the way that you feel happiest learning :D And most important - enjoy it - it's supposed to be fun, not a chore :)
But you've got to cut your nails :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
Lo mate,

I have been playing for about 2 years now and also didnt take any lessons. A good websidte for resources is www.Chordie.com

I found the best tips for learnig to play, were to just start playing songs that you like, use chordie to look them up and then learn them. They will sound awful at first however its all about muscle memory and the more you play the easier it is until you just dont have to think about it anymore.

The second tip when you get slightly better is to start to learn to play "bar chords", if you want to play an electric well you need to learn to do this but you will have to build up the movement in your hand through practice first.
Once you have mastered bar chords you will be able to learn the C.A.G.E.D system, which is basically a technique where keeping the same finger positions and moving around the fret board you can find any chord you need, this allows you to play much faster chord changes and ROCK ON!!

The only other thing to recommend is that each time you pick up the guitar spend a couple of minutes doing some finger excercises. A good is to put your fingers on the bottom string, one fret each. Then starting with your index finger move them up a string, one finger at a time without your other fingers coming off (this is harder then it sounds and will make your hand ache) - This will basically build the independant control between your fingers.

Depending where you are in the Noth West I have a load of practice sheets I "borrowed" off a chap who was taking lessons, they are quite good and you are welcome to them if you are local

·
Registered
32 Posts
a site that i found was www.justinguitar.com (It's free) There are some good beginer lessons on there and some vids on how to play some basic songs.
As alot of people have already said.Make sure you keep it fun.The way one person practeses will not suite another so it's a case of finding what works best for you.
What ever happens in the first few months to a year STICK AT IT. I started playing about 5 years ago and in the first few month wanted to jack it in soooo may times but trust me stick at it and it is really worth while.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I've been playing guitar for a long time and there is no easy route, if anyone thinks there is then you may as well just mount it on the wall to collect dust or do a 'Clash' and smash the **** out of it!

Everyone is different when it comes to learning. Some people struggle with rhythm and find (for guitar) strumming very difficult (I would say that's the first thing to try and master).

You've made a good choice by choosing an electric to start off, it's far easier on your hands (and finger tips). Saying that it's definitely a good thing to move to acoustic as well because you build up alot more strength in your hand and fingers which makes life alot easier in the long run!

Next is to make it as interesting as you can. Pick a song or two to try and master them. Just make sure they only have a few chords (if you don't know just search for the guitar tab of that particular song - CLICKY - you want guitar chords rather than tab or tabular).

I started off learning Bob Dylan - All Along the Watch Tower (3 chords, typically Am, G and F) and Oasis - Wonderwall (4 chords, G, D, Em, C).

F can be particularly hard when starting out as it requires strength in your index finger which, depending how you play it, will come with practice mainly. Try not to avoid certain chords just because you can't play them, keep trying it and you WILL get it.

If you can master G, D, Em and C then you can play most of the songs out there! (I'd suggest buying a capo if you dont' have one - sometimes a song can be in a different key, a capo makes it easier - I'd recommend one of these)

Lastly keep at it. Best to do 10 minutes every day rather than once every so often. It took me probably 6 months to get comfortable with playing but has taken me another 14 years to get to where I am now (and I've still got loads to learn!) I used to teach for a bit which pushed me to learn more but nobody can ever say they've arrived that's for sure!

I would suggest you either buy a guitar chord book that explains how chords are made up, scales to get your fingers moving and chord construction as it really helps to figure out both what you are playing and also seeing how slightly different fingering or another string can make all the difference!

I personally got to a point where I didn't progress any further and I went for lessons - it isn't for everyone but I would suggest maybe going every now and then to keep you away from bad habits and to glean some techniques that can save you a bit of time/effort.

Have fun!

Edited to say:- Just read DaveG's post. I'd very much agree with getting involved with other musicians, preferably ones that are better than you and have patience! You will progress faster!

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I've been playing for about 15 years now, still love sitting in my room and playing along to songs on my computer :D awesome.

Once you've grasped the basic chords, you'll realise how easy some songs are.

Verve - Lucky man = G, D, A. Chorus = E(minor), G, D, A :D

Once you've got a basic grasps of all chords, search the webs for tab'd songs as it makes solo's etc seem straight forward as 9/10 they are :D hotel california solo's are quite simple :) just quick

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Brilliant, thanks alot for all the replys :smthumbup

I'm almost tempted to get out of work early now and go practice :D

Blobitos.....I'm from cumbria, but stay in Aberdeen most of the time for work :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

What kind of music you in to? Might be able to recommend a few easy songs to your taste to learn.
Thanks for that, I'm into anything really, quite like greenday and similar bands, but I have the likes of R.E.M, U2, Chilli peppers, Thin Lizzy etc etc and some more I'll not admit to :mhihi:, not really a limited taste :smthumbup

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Get together some songs you like, go on the net and get the tab and teach yourself.

I learned to play guitar playing Metallica songs... Yeah I suck on chords etc and doing that now, but I could do a cracking solo :mhihi:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought an acoustic about 5/6 months ago, never played one before in my life but was very wanting and keen to learn (back then) but its not been out since i covered the tuition dvd that came with it tut!

After scouring the internet to find something to play/learn i.e. a tune i like or some simple nursery rhyme to start me off (got to start somewhere), but then i have no clue as to how to read music.

Since then ive given up, you need some major, major patience to play a guitar.

Maybe with the links on here i will dust it off and TRY to start again.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts