Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking to spend around £2k on a 42" plasma TV - looking at panasonic Viera new range - are these HD or not. If not can anyone recommend an alternative - what resolution do they need to be for HDTV??

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just looking at an AV forum and now i'm totally confused - for example....

"Each technology has its own advantages and disadvantages. CRT's are capable of great pictures, but to minimise geometry distortions requires expensive circuitry and set up time. CRT's above 28" can also be extremely heavy. Plasma's can give excellent pictures with a great range of viewing angles, but they suffer from screen "memory" and screen burn, and dead/stuck pixels. They are also quite heavy in the larger sizes. LCD screens are light in weight, but they can have big problems with colour changes when the viewing angle is changed. Most do not give very good black levels. Also, (because LCD screens are not sealed) you can also have problems with dust/insect ingress, and dimming/discolouration of the lamp over time. Rear projected CRT screens are cheap, but can suffer from alignment problems and are very heavy. Rear and front projected DLP screens give exclellent pictures, but can suffer from the "rainbow effect" and lamp replacement can be expensive."

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skeletor said:
Panasonic is not HD ready.

Look at the Pioneer 434 HDE.

Skeletor
cheers but as i guessed - looking at double the price! ouch

·
Registered
878 Posts
skeletor said:
Panasonic is not HD ready.

Skeletor
Nope - Panasonic have brought out HD ready additions to the Viera range (though they are a bit expensive). You won't get a HD ready Plasma for 2k, though..

Toshiba have some nice HD ready LCDs for < 2K.

James.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for help

james - can't seem to find any HD toshiba models. have found sony PFM-42X1N for around £2.1k tho. may have to change brand! have had panasonic CRT's previously and have always been happy with them

·
Registered
407 Posts
Forget plasma with their blocky jerky picture, Get yourself a DLP projector and screen, Were not talkin inches were talkin in feet mine goes up to 12 ft across, got it on 7ft for excellent picture quality get an RGB converter so you can watch Sky on it as well as DVD, Xbox etc, Colin Mcrae in 7ft and blastin Dolby Digital, Good DLP projector around £1200 - £1500 (I know you can spend more same as ought else) but this will buy you excellent pic quality, £200- £500 on a screen + £500ish on cables RGB convertor etc, Had mine done when building house so cables, rear speakers etc in walls/ceiling, Its like MTV cribs :D :coolsm:
Dave

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah - i've seen grants posts in previous threads

manda - what size is your room with the projector?? - my lounge is maybe 10m long (length of house) but has glass both ends - is maybe on just under 4m wide - had thought about projector but not sure it would work in the space. also thought would be good for DVD's but not for everyday telly

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Don't get a DLP projector... :(

Get a CRT, but if you want it small, get a LCD one.

Your room sounds fine, just need a blind at either end to block out the light. But I would only use it for movies, get a normal telly for everyday use.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
We have just had the Media box in for repair from our Pioneer 434 and it was only 15 months old. Fortunately we had a 2 year warranty or it would have cost us nearly £600. So make sure whatever you buy you get a decent warranty.

Our neighbours bought an LG and that lasted 5 or 6 months before it had to go back because it wouldn't hold the correct colour.

The pioneer if fantastic picture quality wise and with HDMI from the DVD player it is the best I have seen. However I am nervous now regarding the life of these things and whether or not I should have stuck to our projector.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dazek
Cinema room is 5m long 4m wide with screen on longer end, Projector needed to be sited 3m from screen for 7ft pic, Projector is Infocus Screenplay 4805 (American made) £1200 What HiFi 5 * test winner (DLP usually win over LCD, CRT's are 2big for domestic), RGB convertor (£90 approx) from 'Keene electronics' they have www., There in a small village north of Derby, Watching Sky on it is excellent digital picture and a lot of movies are Dolby Digital now, Sport is also brilliant Football, Moto GP, WRC etc. I have used it every day for the last 18 months no probs large pic may take some gettin used to but came from 55'' rear projection Toshiba takes people back when they see it
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.