Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of upgrading the suspension on my Evo 6 TME and have a few queries that i hope someone out there can help me with. i need one that is somewhat of a compromise between a road race set up and a quarter mile set up. we don't have any circuit racing tracks here in Antigua as yet, but i do use the roads pretty much the same. on the other hand we do have a drag racing track which i race on from time to time. is there a great difference between suspensions that are designed for drag racing and those for road racing? if anyone can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wouldn`t think that there`d be a difference between drag racing and normal racing, but then again I don`t know much about drag racing. For street racing the best are Ohlins Gr. N (about 5000 pounds) then Proflex Gr. N (about 2500 pounds) and after that I don`t really know but have heard of a company called Dynamics. Hope this helps...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ohlins are avaible in France and Italy for about 3500£,and as Michael K says they are the best ones avaible!!!
Then you have the other gr.n suspensions,with separate gas tank and monotube,as the proflex,that exists in two different diameters,45mm and the jumbo 55mm,and the dynamics.
All these are height adjustable and have something like 30adjustable positions for rebound,30 for high speed damping and 30 for low speed damping,are really made for hard use and will absorb the shocks better than the bitube ones even if they are stiffer.

Then you have the heigh adjustable bitube(twin cylinder)suspension as the street proflex,k and amp;w,hks hyper damper and some ralliart models.These are better quality than standard,stiffer,height adjustable and has a few adjustments in rebound,but has nothing to do with the gr.n ones as the tecnology is as the standard ones,bitube(twin cylinder,and will be less resistant under hard use.

Then you have the non adjustable monotube shocks,that have the same technology as the gr.n ones but doesn't have a separate gas tank and doesn't have any adjustment.They exist with high adjustable springs(there are ohlins like that in japan),or with normal springs as the standard ones.The monotube type front shocks have usally a bigger diameter of the sliding metal tube,I don't know the correct name for that,than the bitube ones as they are fitted upside down in the shock itself.

The non adjustable monotube shocks are anyway better than the bitube height adjustable ones for hard use and they will last longer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have fitted the DMS 50mm suspension kit and am very happy with the set. Jamie Drummond suggested that their Gold set would be sufficient for road use and I expect that he was right. After installation and setup, the reward is not only better handling but also a nicer ride. Lost the abrupt quality of the stock KYB gear while retaining the responsiveness we all love in our cars. Not mushy, not vague. The service from DMS was excellent and as stated above the pricing is right. The documentation with the kit was extensive. The installation and setup was a breeze.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speed,

I have no idea what you have or have not done to your car but will offer the following advise pertaining to drag racing.

The suspension is less critical when you are launching an AWD car. Little slip, no hop.

If you are planning to drag your car think seriously about a better clutch. The stock clutch will probably overheat badly and damage your flywheel. The stock clutch is inadequate for drag use. After a hard launch you will experience slip on every shift.

Dragging is very hard on the drive train especially at higher power levels. When you increase the holding power of the clutch you risk damaging other driveline components. As has been pointed out on the forum previously (HH6)http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > the transfer hub has proven susceptible. I know of two failures that resulted from drag racing.

How is Harney doing these days? Does he still race his MR2?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, thanks to everyone for all the information; it really gave me alot to consider. i honestly don't think i will get any ohlins or proflex as the price is simply too much. i was thinking more along the lines of an hks hyper damper system or the ralliart system. i will check out the DMS system as it comes recommended from Evoboy and Patrick. i do not plan to do alot of serious drag racing as the car is daily driven, but i enjoy a good quarter mile run every now and then.

Patrick, the car is completely stock other than the timer. what color evo do you have and where are u? when the power is increased a clutch upgrade is a must; probably a daiken twin plate. the stock clutch has never slipped on me and i have launched the car at about 5500 when doing some drag races. i don't know how long it will last but it shows absolutely no signs of problems after 6 months. harney is kinda quiet for now trying to work out some bugs with the MR; biggest problem is with cooling the engine. i'm not sure if they have already installed it, but a t88 turbo is going into the MR.2 next; the only problem they're having is with regards to cooling. the last time he tested the engine went up in flames again, but he did run very low 10's. still impressive considering the car is still a complete street car with all the interior, glass, etc and not running any NOS.

just out of curiosity, has anyone else on the forum upgraded their suspension and if so what are your views/opinions on the subject.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi!

I have the proflex gr.n suspensions on my evo v,they are the same kind as the ohlins with the separate gas tank.
The ohlins are really expensive,but the HKS cost around 1900£,and even if they should be good quality,they are bitube as the standard ones,so it would be probably better to fit som less expensive K and amp;W or street proflex,that are also bitube as the hks but should be at around 1200£,or you should consider the gr.n proflex as they are really good and full adjustable,separate gas tank,monotube,etc. and will cost only slightly more than the hks ones,but they are competition units!!!

I think that Michael K can tell you where to buy some proflex for a really good price,about the same price as the hks,anyway you should be able to get them at a good price at the rally team Claudius know here in France,he had some dynamics,but he could get also proflex,for something between 1600£ and 2000£!

That team is BRC in carros,near nice. www.brc01.com tel.00 33 4 93 08 25 50

or just e mail Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Maxi. I'm still considering my options right now as i want to be sure i get the ones i really need. again thanks to all for your responses; really helpful.

Speed Demon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are some HKS hyper dampers on the parts for sale thread at £500.
They maybe used and the proflex are off course much better,but at this price it can be a good deal for someone who don't want to spend a lot on a complete kit.
They include the pillowball upper mounts and if you know someone that can get them revised it could be a good choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.