Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an induction kit, but don't know which one and why it is better or safer ie oil based ones?

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rosco...

Ive just gone into all this. Mine comes in the post tomorrow.
Options appear to be, Blitz, HKS, HKS racing suction kit, Pipercross, Apexi, K and amp;N
People may disagree with some of this but heres how I decided:

Blitz - good sound but holes are big, may let too much stuff in
HKS - don't like the dirty mushroom and you have to replace them
HKS suction kit - way too expensive, sooner buy some driver instruction
Pipercross - had trouble sourcing one and was told its not that much cop
K and amp;N - couldn't find out about it let alone buy one, not even sure if they do an EVO kit
Apexi - seems to have best filtration by far from independent tests that have been done (including one I heard about with it attached to a hoover)

So I went Apexi from dp motorsports. It comes with a nice heat shield and also a funnel design to disrupt turbulence that apparently builds up in a regular cylndrical filter.

Im not a great fan of induction kits - all much of a muchness in choosing one of the above. They improve the noise for sure but far more important IMO is ensuring that there is a decent airflow with COOL air. If you can establish a bit of positive pressure then thats a bonus as well. I think that the relocation airboxes are a bit expensive but given the layout of the EVO bonnet it might be the way to go... then feeding a really strong cold air supply into the airbox. I wouldn't just get an induction filter and stick it on.... and I would not get oil based as you don't want oil gettin through. Im going to remove one of my fog pods and duct the air up to the filter possibly with some type of gauze along teh length of pipe to stop any grit etc...

regards

rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else want to comment on this? I've been thinking about an induction kit too but I'm as thick as **** and would probably get the wrong thing. Post your induction kit experiences below please!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I want to hear more about the Blitz kit. Please don't tell me to use the search option because I'm far too lazy and drunk :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking about an induction kit too but I'm as thick as **** and would probably get the wrong thing.

ROFLLAB !

nice one Cookie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have attached a link to a 3d posted on the GTR register. If you want to know everything about induction take it from this man...he knows what he is talking about!!:)

http://212.67.202.137/~joss/forum/upload/showthread.php?s|EQU| and amp;threadid|EQU|606

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rosco,
I have the HKS one on my 6. 'Tis true that the mushroom dirtys quickly, but I'd rather have a mushroom thats dirty on the outside
knowing that this **** hasnt entered the engine. As I recall the sponge is gel-coated rather than oil,and u have to replace the elements,
they cannot be cleaned.
My engine has covered almost 56,000 miles with this type of filter.

The induction noise sounds good too :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cookie

Will let you know next week, having HKS SPF fitted on Saturday. I think you will find HKS will be cheaper in the long run, look loads better than the others too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rosco,

I too have been through this decision and as Jackal did I went the Apexi route.. sheaper than Blitz and HKS and better filtration allegedly..

Not put it on yet but will do in the next 3 weeks...

Just for your info... no K and amp;N kit available yet as they were having probs with the filter oil going onto the MAF so are still developing....

I know of people who have used HKS on scoobs and now wish they hadn't due to the filtration problems that have occured after 20,000 miles...

Hope thats of some use....

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://212.67.202.137/~joss/forum/upload/showthread.php?s|EQU| and amp;threadid|EQU|606

As luck would have it he rates the Apexi as the best aftermarket filetr, having the best characteristics of all teh others. Interesting read.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks for the quick replies, it seems I'm not the only unsure person on here.
After reading the thread on the GTR bbs and hearing other comments it's made my mind up to go for the Apexi one.
Thanks again
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went the Apexi route myself, mainly based on the details on www.gtrowner.com/induction.html . Looks and sounds the Dogs Danglies and performance feels much improved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't see the improvements in swapping the air box for an induction kit.
If you end up making / buying an airbox for your induction kit to live in, aren't you replacing something that effectively was there in the first place ?

I can see that replacing the 'tubing' for straighter / steel items will help the flow, and perhaps improving the 'collection' of air by means of more effecient ducting.

Why not replace the filter element with a performance item, re-locate the air-box towards the front of the car, and praps swap the rubber pipework for steel pipework ?

Am I talking complete shite ?
Or am I on the right track ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just changed the filter on my HKS and to say im ####ed off is not a touch on how I feel, The whole of the pipe from the filter to the turbo has a lining of sand and grit. Dont know if this has come through the filter or that because the desgin is **** and made of cheap plastics has resulted in the lip of the cone centre which connects to the air filter (sorry is you dont know what im getting at) has bent in on three places. This meant that air got directly sucked in past the air filter. Only had it 6 months and its ####ed, £150 load of ****. Have pitcures but dont know how to download and im at work, but if people are interested I will try.
Going to have to use a RAM air filter, until funds are better for an Apexi, fit the RAM filter via the hoover to get rid of the excess oil. Also have to wash the tube out. Suprised the turbos still going, touch wood.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also forgot to mention the £50 of spark plugs that had to be replaced cause the stopped working properly after 500 miles. Happened to be HKS as well, perosnally i think they play more onthe name now, quality is ****. Starting to sound like michealK, help:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
would like to see the pics, I must say at one point I was thinking about a HKS, after this thread and reading the related links I'm going for the Apexi

Ryan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts