Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've recently fitted AP 6 pots up front and 4 pots at the rear on my evo 8.
Bled as normal, and re-bled again due to the pedal feeling a bit longer than I remember, is this normal? I have read it can be due to the amount of pistons you're now trying to move, i have gone from 12 to 20.
I cannot get any air out the system, all seems good, just a bit more at the top of the pedal before that initial bite.

I haven't driven the car since September last year either and have been driving other cars so I really can't remember exactly what it was like before 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2005 CT9W
35 Posts
If I recall correctly, it's not so much the amount of pistons, it's the percentage that the area of the piston faces has grown.
If you want the pedal to have the same feel, the capacity of the master cylinder will have to increase by the same percentage.

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Is it an official AP Kit ? if so the pistons sizing is done in a way as depsite being more of them its not a huge difference in piston total area so pedal should feel the same.

If your sure the all air is out then just drive it and see if it improves, it could be the pads and discs not fully worn to each others shape which give a longer pedal as its trying to tip the pad to shape of disc etc, was it new pads and discs as well ?

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes all AP stuff, direct from them.
the only thing that wasn't new or AP was the rear discs as mine were in pretty good shape still.

I spoke to you at length a bit ago Ian over email about new pads etc but i've gone down the route of a full set up as I was fortunate enough to know someone who works there :)

I also had trouble getting the bleed nipples to seal and was getting fluid up the threads, I've just kept tweaking them ever so slightly until it stopped but I feel like they've been overtightened to achieve a seal, i started at the recommended torque which i think was 18nm but when left over night they leaking ever so slightly up the threads.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what I could do with is a second opinion I guess... with the car switch off 2 pumps and the pedal is rock solid at the top.
I've never had an issue with bleeding my old brembos

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Have you driven it though ? as above it could just be the pads and discs need to wear to exact shape which shouldnt take long, even with new pads and discs they are rarely perfect shape and until they are it gives a longer pedal until everything is settled in.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you driven it though ? as above it could just be the pads and discs need to wear to exact shape which shouldnt take long, even with new pads and discs they are rarely perfect shape and until they are it gives a longer pedal until everything is settled in.
Hardly, i'll get some miles on it when it's dry, thanks for the advise as always :)

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to finish this off...
Took the callipers back to AP who pressure tested and confirmed all was ok, they also replaced all the bleed nipples though.
Refitted, bled the system, fronts were fine but i was still getting seepage on the rears, all i did was open and close the bleed nipples a number of times to recommended torque to ''grind'' (if that's even the right word) a seat with the bleed nipple and seal face in the hole.
Problem sold, sealed system, bled again. All seems good.

I think the pedal feel is just different as I've been driving all sorts of different cars with the evo off the road, it took very little getting use to. The stopping power seems pretty immense to what i had :)

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you take the calipers back to AP Racing direct or to an agent ?
AP direct, I'm lucky enough to know someone that works there and I purchased direct from them, they're local to me to so i just popped over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts