Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, i have a problem with my pc as i tryed to reformat it the other day useing the 2 recovery discs that i was promped to make when i got the pc from new. At first the computer asked me to insert disc one and it would run for a couple of mins but then would spit the disc out saying bad disc, but after about 3 to 4 trys it started to work, but then told me to do disc 2 and the same happend and wont move on at all now, these discs have works fine in the past on the pc and have no scratches on them. The computer was working before i done this but part of the harddrive must of been wiped when disc one loaded and now i cant do anything so in other words the computer it half way throught the reformatting prosses and seems to of got stuck, ive tryed useing the recovery part of the hard drive but this just comes up with an error message. So what can i do to get this pc running again as need it asap?? many thanks helen

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
theres a few ways to get round it -
start - run - type in msconfig which gives you a load of options .
or a system restore??

or... take it to someone that knows what they're doing ( no offence) :D

have you still the original reboot disc that came with the pc?

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,148 Posts
It's a common fault with self-made recovery discs, I'm not sure why.

Whenever I get a new PC for myself or friends now, I "ghost" a self-booting image of the hard drive to DVD as well just in case.

How old is the PC as it should have a recovery partition?

Try booting and pressing F10/11/12 just after the BIOS screen, if it has a partition, this should boot the PC into that and you're away.
Didn't read all the post, sorry.

If not, and you really can't get the discs to work, you're going to have to either contact the manufacturer for a new set of recovery discs (or download them if you can find them), or reinstall windows using an original (or copy, as it's legal if you use your own key) of the windows disc.

HTH,

John.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have been told that the hdd is probably broken so can anyone tell me if i buy a new hdd and put it in is it then just a case of putting in the recovery disc and it will load windows and evrything else back on again? i take it that is what a recovery disc has stored on it?

·
Banned
732 Posts
Have been told that the hdd is probably broken so can anyone tell me if i buy a new hdd and put it in is it then just a case of putting in the recovery disc and it will load windows and evrything else back on again? i take it that is what a recovery disc has stored on it?
I'd like to know first if it was;)

Is it a laptop or PC?
Which brand?
Does it have a floppy or just CD ROM?
What it running? < XP or >

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Yes...

It will revert your machine to factory spec.

google for free recovery software. You will most likely be able to recover all of your stuff from the bad hd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.