Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ooof.

Had my first off this morning. Coming off a road about a load of skool kids watching so i give it a bit of welly on the roundabout and coming off it. Back end a bit lively but nothing too major. All of a sudden the minor fish tails go mad and i'm over the pavement and up on the verge facing the wrong way.

Attractive blonde stops to ask if i'm allright. Feeling like a total [email protected] and very relieved that there was no-one on the pavement i wave that i'm OK. Engine still running so pull off verge and drive slowly to work.

At work inspect the damage. Slight bulge on one of my AVS and bottom of bumper pushed back/down on drivers side with the oil cooler exit vents popped out. Hopefully with careful use of a hot air gun the bumper will go back into place? It looks like the bottom piece of the bumper just bolts onto the upper piece. Some of the mesh grills seem to have come off their fixings as well.

My major regret was that i didn't burst into tears and get a cuddle from the blonde!

How am i going to braek this to the mrs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have u checked the front suspension Oli?
Su had a similar off when the tyre popped on our car and although there was more damage to the wheel and tyre than on yours, the suspension was £2k damaged :( They like going up and down but don't like trying to go sideways

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lee,

i'll try that one. However the mud and **** on the car might give it away! Actually i've worked out its her fault - not enough sex leading to too much testosterone in my system :D although this might earn me a slap!

Andy,

Good point. But how did you know your suspension was knackered? I'll certainly get the tracking done and give it a good eyeballing when i get the new tyre.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ours was that far out that you could actually see that the wheel was no longer sitting vertical and was pointing out at the top http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > Probably not as bad as yours but this only happened at about 30 mph but caused a lot of damage.

Best to get the tracking checked and also have a look at the strut to see if it is bent in any way.

As for the excuse, if you try the not enough sex one, you'll probably end up going to try and find that blonde again. Which is another excuse. 'Sorry darling, I got distracted by a very attractive young lady and hit the kerb'

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some 'fun' yesterday.

Went around large r/about several times in the wet, back started to come out - AYC corrected it. Went round again little bit faster - back end slid way out !!!!! Bit of opposite lock - came back in again !

This was on a busy island, next door to a HGV filling station !

Good fun though.

Oli goon,

Hope the damage is just superficial.

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oli, bugger! with any luck the sus will be ok, how high was the pavement? are the alloys ok as well?

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oli

Was it you who started the thread ' I let the Mrs drive the TME' by any chance :) :)

You could always try to blame it on your warped discs and then she might let you get those new CTFs?

Hope you sort it out

Teri

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a similar off a couple of years ago in my previous motor. It looked ok, drove well but after a week or two the tyres started to wear very
strangely then the handling became terrible. Also once bent the subframe but the tracking was fine, so I'd advise getting the car on a ramp to check it over.

Hope the car is ok

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big,

yeah it was me. In case you think i'm a sexist pig, well i am. After all i'm a man. Good idea about the brakes (especially for a girly ;) - maybe we can make you an honorary man?).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oli

I like the sound of that! :) Been a tom-boy all my life - not about to change now! (Got my first pedal go-kart at 5 yrs old, I made my Dad take it back and change it because it didn't have a handbrake - no good for handbrake turns!!) :) Got the right name too!

BTW - have you decided which route to take on the brakes yet?

Teri

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for your commiserations. Had all the wheels off last night to check over the suspension. Everything looked as it should, although both front tyres have bulges on the sidewall so must be replaced. Alloys are unmarked. Lower front bumper will fix back in position. Off to get 2 new tyres and the tracking checked (steering now slightly off centre).

Having been back to look at where i came off i realised what i did wrong:- as i came off the roundabout with the rear end running wide i kept the power on as the weight at the rear transfered to the opposite side. This snapped the rear end around so that even though i steered into the skid the back end just kept on going around eventually forcing me up over the kerp and ended up having done a complete 180 on the verge. 4wd pulled me out of the **** on the verge.

If i had eased off coming off the roundabout the rear end would have straightened up.

The Mrs was quite understanding and even gave me a cuddle. Just goes to show that i'll never understand women :D

Big,

brakes - haven't decided which way to go. My financial position is a bit unsettled at the minute (having gone contract i'm on a weeks notice) due to lack of orders in the company. Uk economy seems to have gone down the tubes, Middle East still OK though.

would probably go with ctf or les hunter brakes though, although Godspeed are the only ones with a guarantee. what about your brakes?

Bizz,

i'll try that. Should be worth a few bob for the entertainment value of watching me spin about! Showing off in front of school girls was always my downfall ;).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oli

Glad you haven't got any serious damage.

Not decided which way on my brakes yet, still waiting for a reply from Wilwood and need to have a word with the Tar-ox guy, might go for just new discs first then take time looking for calipers to get it right!

Teri

1 - 15 of 15 Posts