Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Paul, I've mailed you today about a possible tranny problem (again). Bit its a bit strange. I don't know if you are like me and only collect your mail once a week so I've just posted this to let you know.
Could you have a read and let me know what you think.
PS: I've just been looking through Scoobi-killas 4G63 stuff and I'm now wondering if it was caused by backlash in the diff - as the method for checking it/troubleshooting section seems vaguley similar to part of the problem I describe in the mail.....
It may not be tranny at all and I'm worried for nothing, but I'd like your opinion before I do anything else.

Currently the car is on stands in the garage at home with no wheels on.. :(

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like I said I still have more manuals. One of which is how to strip down the box and diffs,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Paul, I won't be able to read it until tomorrow when back at work.
Scoobie, I mailed you earlier today, I've got the one for the rear, if you can let me have the ones for the front box and transfer box that would be great. If possible send them to the work address I mailed you on earlier. It'll except large files, or pass on a download URL.

Thanks fellas.

Scoobie, I'm pretty interested in your car. Maybe we can arrange at a later date to meet up - maybe at the track when you find wheels etc. :) I'd be interested in writing a little piece for the club mag on what you've done to it.
Those that can't drive their bloody car write about driving it !

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tony,
Whats happened now, take its something to do with the transmission again. Anway if you need it a 1800 RS was smashed up in Scotland recenltey and the propshaft survived as well as the rear diff. Dont know if this helps.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Long story Al, I'll tell you about some time over a beer.

I doubt the 1.8 diff will work (based on pauls story of torment !), but thanks. Nothign actually blown up as such- but I do have a dilema.
I hope this was just a 1800 you heard about, and not anyone we know....

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Original Post:
a 1800 RS was smashed up in Scotland recenltey and the propshaft survived as well as the rear diff.
Gulp! Whereabouts Al? There are a couple of bits and amp; pieces I could do with relieving from the scrappys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gordon,

It's hardly that one Greer had while I was hunting?.
Waiting for the postman with tongue hanging out;).

Tony,
You got more mail, think we might have wires crossed somewhere?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We did Paul, my optimism stopped me reading it correctly.
Frankly, it couldn't get much worse could it.

Ah well, time to ring up the suppliers and use my very polite, deep down VERY angry voice.

Bit concerned about Al's post, as he says 1800RS - and how many of them are in the UK ?

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony,
Got a phone call from a bloke couple of thursdays ago, he had conatcted Darin who then passed me on to him. Bascially the bloke had the car nearly twos, got it from an auction in scotland (having a shower so wasnt really with), for around £5000. Does a bit of rallying as a co-driver I think, and use the car to do his pass notes before the rally. Sorry I carnt remeber your name. Anyway he was driving down a country land when a bloke pulled out on him, braked locked up (Lack of ABS) and the front right side went into the other car.
Anway the insurance of the bloke who pulled out on him took complete resonsibilty for the accident, however the only offered im around £1500:(:(.
He was a bit upset about thi,s I was, he wanted to some info on the car such as how much I paid, cost of replacing and so on, so he could go back to the insurance company with a bit of meat to argue the amount, which he felt was aorund £5000. No heard anything since, but he did say that Japan are taking alot of the early lancers back, any offers for mine:) Dotn think the bloke is a member of the club,

So is the rear diff on the Evo different to the 1800?
As for numbers I know of one other RS which was down in southhampton middle of last year for sale, but that could be in the great scrap heap in the sky, as the bloke how bought was 19!!!!!

I was pleased as he said the 1800, was just as good as the Evo including the 7 and much more involving:)

Did you get your company car then?
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phew Al ! I thought you may have come come a cropper on some highland jaunt.
I daren't say if the 1800 diff is the same, I'm sure Paul will appear at some point and let us know :)

At the moment, I don;t know what I need to be honest, the cars off back down to the gearbox place and we'll see from there.

I did get the company car, thank heavens or I'd be totaly stuffed. I must be saving about £80 a month on fuel alone !
Its a lurvly comfy laguna (sorry all), but its got wheels to fit an Evo 6 ! 225/45x17 all for containing 1.8 litres. mad.

Makes me appreciate the Evo performace though, well - when it runs !

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Rear diff ratio on the 1800 is 3.545 and transfer box ratio is 1.090, final drive in the gearbox has primary and secondary ratios with the latter being the one to match with transfer and rear diff ratios. The secondry ratio is 3.865 and the primary is depending on model of car. A simple calculation to work out how to match all three drives, start with a figure of 10rpm that the rear wheels are turning for instance :-

10 (rear wheel rpm)
/ (Divide by)
3.545 (rear diff ratio)
/
1.090 (Transfer ratio)
------
|EQU|2.587rpm (This is what rpm the input shaft from the gearbox to the transfer box is turning)

Now start with the same 10 rpm that the rear wheels are turning and use it for the front diff:-

10 (front wheel rpm)
/
2.587 (transfer input shaft rpm)
------
|EQU|3.865 (secondary final drive ratio)!!:D.

Now as for the primary final drive, this is the final drive ratio from the gears to the centre diff. The secondary final drive is from the centre diff to the front diff. You're showing on you buyers guide that the final drive ratio is 5.433, This figure is got by multiplying the primary ratio by the secondary ratio. Which in that case would give a primary final drive ratio of 1.405. Why this is done I don't know because all Mitsubishi info i've got show both Primary and secondary ratios seperately.
Here's where it gets silly, ALL manual transmission transfer boxes are the same ratio that i've come across (1.090) and only the Automatic variants being different. So I can't understand why or how they came to the conlusion of changing your Transfer box?

Anyway, WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!:(

p.s. Tony what's the number stamped on the top of the Bellhousing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm,

Just reading that and realised the way I calculated that was wrong but the answer was right anyway, Serves my right for going over old notes I wrote when I was going mad trying to figure this out when I had my problems:(. Anyway the simple way is:-

3.545 (rear diff)
X
1.090 (transfer)
--------
|EQU| 3.865 (secondary final drive ratio).

Don't you just hate it when you don't click Edit in time!!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry ive got a 19 year old brother and the way he drives his 206 gives me nigthmares, if he sees this though he will kill me:)

Tony,
Tell me about the fuel, thinking of getting my own pump as the local shell garage as I seem to spend all my time down their. Hopefully getting a second in the near future so cut fuel bills, bit late after going through winter though. Have same rust patch on the roof, but it is 10years old.
Hope you get it sorted, the Tiff Needell curse stikes again;)

Paul,
My head hurts:)

Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Curse of Tiff.....

Paul, I really don't like your world.
What I think you are saying is that as far as you haev found out all the transfer boxes are the same. So putting an Evo 2 transfer box in my car would have no effect as it would be the same as my Evo 1.
Hmm. it was Mitsubishi who advised on this. When I get the car to them I'll take the Evo1 transfer box , they may want to compare.
I've just had a horrible thought.
When they were speaking to Mitsubishi about the problem with fitting the Evo 2 box, maybe they were advised to swap the rear diff to Evo 2, but this was either intepreted wrongly, or the guy at mitsubishi got them mixed up whilst discussing it (easily done I'm sure),
Bugger, I bet they were supposed to swap the rear diff, but got the wires crossed and swapped the transfer boxes.....

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tony,

Could be the case with your crossed wires theory?. If I was you i'd take the plate off the side of the transfer box and count the teeth your self, I bet you get 24 and 22 and this is a 1.090 ratio. Just so you have some info in hand just incase someone trys to bull$hit you.

Gordon,

Write a 5000 word essay on how to convert a GSR gearbox to RWD when all else fails ;)!!.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paul, I've just got the touth count from the busted Evo2 transfer box (I need it to find the correct second hand unit). Get this:
Pinion: 27
Crownwheel: 29

They have a Evo 3 transfer box and the touth count is different (can't remember by how much -I will find out)
My Evo 1 transfer box is also different - This was counted last time but I've forgotten that as well - when I get down to them and get the transfer box back I'll have a count.

I'm speaking to a chap later today he thinks he maybe able to help (hello Matt if you are lurking :) ), it'll be interesting to see what tooth counts he finds.

TonyC

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.