Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well annoyingly i decided that towing my evo without a trailer towing licence wasn't all that cool. booked some training and took test.

my advice for those who need the test/licence is to get one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What year did the law change regarding towing on a normal driving license? Anyone know?

James:smthumbup

Sorry for hijacking the thread mate. Congratulations as well.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Passed in '95 so tow on 'Grandfather rights':D Do agree there should be training and a test. At my work (in a quarry) its amazing how many folk come in with a trailer they own, or more often borrowed, and do not have a clue how to handle it. Plenty of them say 'I dont have to reverse at all do I?'. Shocking they can go out on the road like this.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well done, its not easy at all. I managed to pass everything but failed on one speeding mistake :wallbang::wallbang:

Dont know if i will reapply, depends if my company want to shell out again really

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
nice one matey, looking to take this at some point soon too!

how strict are they on general driving? do you have to be perfect like you are on the original test?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What was the cost involved in taking this test. Also how much training did you need to take.

Thanks

James:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
**** me i didn't know that you had to pass a test to tow a trailer. does this apply to all trailers, or only to ones over a certain size?

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,145 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What was the cost involved in taking this test. Also how much training did you need to take.
+1 :smthumbup

As the mrs wants to tow our boat. :lol:

**** me i didn't know that you had to pass a test to tow a trailer. does this apply to all trailers, or only to ones over a certain size?
Only ones over a certain size (an evo+trailer is well over).

LINK

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997
If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

·
Registered
31,032 Posts
Passed in '95 so tow on 'Grandfather rights':D Do agree there should be training and a test. At my work (in a quarry) its amazing how many folk come in with a trailer they own, or more often borrowed, and do not have a clue how to handle it. Plenty of them say 'I dont have to reverse at all do I?'. Shocking they can go out on the road like this.
I passed in 96 so will be towing on Grandfather rights.

I will be towing the EVO tomorrow for the first time, so am bricking it.

Reversing should be amusing :eek:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
About £400...... You have to drive to the same standard as if you were taking your HGV its the same test you just do it with a car and trailer. Test is a load of crap really ive been messing around with HGV's for years and can reverse very well but my dad who could legally tow from day dot cant reverse for toffee........

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Nice one timmy:smthumbup, I passed my test in jan 93' so have grandfather rights for driving :), HOWEVER i am also type 1 diabetic and have restrictions on my licence such as not being allowed to drive a minibus :confused::wallbang::wallbang::goingmad:, which i found out when trying to hire on for a stag doo, I can drive with passengers in a car but not a van:confused:...

Sorry to hijack your thread :smthumbup

·
Registered
197 Posts
well done on passing, its not an easy test at all, its virtually the same as the class 1 lorry test. i passed 3 yrs ago and have towed my 106 to trackdays all over the country. Passed my class 2 in november last year , now thats fun hahaha

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
well done on passing, its not an easy test at all, its virtually the same as the class 1 lorry test. i passed 3 yrs ago and have towed my 106 to trackdays all over the country. Passed my class 2 in november last year , now thats fun hahaha
Really?

Ive done both and i would say they're very different.

When i done B+E it was exactly like my B test. Very strict on all the rules.

When i done C and C+E they were still strict on basic driving skills but it was more to do with handilng the size of the vehicle and being able to manoeuvre it safely. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
well you do the same manouvering the brake test and out on the road you do the uphill start and then the down hill start apart from gears etc id say the are quite close, I havent done the class 1 yet ( next month hopefully) but the 2 test was very similar

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Same as driving artics and 44ton lol,go and do your C+E first

Should defo have some sort of test for new hgv drivers,fully laden

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well done on the test. I think its good that we need to take a test to tow. I work part time on a mates fun fair & the amount of drivers we see on a sunday who cant tow is unreel. Ive even seen cars go past us in my mates 60 ton fair load doing about 80 towing something on the back of there car

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.