Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there got any advice to a potential Evo6 owner, got my eye on 2 GSR's both same price (give or take 500) 1 is a paralell imp an hours drive away the other is a uk from R/art 2 and a half hours away, what do u think? Oh the R/art 1 has far more miles on, any advice for this EVO beginner!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ive just bought an import its mint in silver 6.5k hks iduction kit |PLS|exhaust apexi fuel |PLS|boost controllers|PLS|lowered cars sorted, on a v 99, insurance is ok tesco is very good, probably in so good condition cause its not been driven on gritty muddy english roads, lower milage import anyday happy huntin:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went 4 a UK spec, they say it's better for our weather, but I'm not sure if that's just Bishi Bull****, the back fogs look better on an import! R/Art sell just as many imports as UK specs, if UR not sure ask them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old are they? The UK car will have some of its warranty left but if there have been any mods it might have invalidated it. In addition, if you want to tune the car the warranty is probably not worth having. The Ralliart car will have the cold weather kit, which includes a more powerful battery. If the cars had done similar milage, then the UK car is a no brainer. I guess the question is how many more miles and is the warranty important to you. Remember, the warranty is controlled by CCC and excludes brake disks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks simon 4 advice of the 2 cars the imp is on a v99 the r/art is on a w00 and r/a say warranty till 2003, do u know if this covers the turbo unit. The imp has approx 6500 miles??? the r/art 26000 one white the reimes blue, guess i will have some serious head scratching 2 do.... cheers anyway

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, i`m in exactly the same position myself, my finances are dictating a V reg import or an T reg UK car. Obviously the V reg car is the prefered model, with lower mileage and possibly better condition due to not been in this lousy climate for so long.

Problem been what if you suffer a major mechanical failure on the car? I for sure would not be able to afford to repair it for a couple of months, and so i am trying to way up which way to go( and have been doing so for a few weeks now :( )

Its just the what if !!!!, for example on my scoob i had a complete short engine fitted under warranty, admittedly a well documented fault on the MY98 Impreza`s, but even so it was repaired at no cost myself ( and at over £2k i`m glad about that! )

Defently a tough choice!

.....just realised that probably hasnt helped you in anyway at all!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From my FAQ's:

Q: Should I buy a grey import or UK car, what are the differences?
A: Just to confuse matters currently all Evolutions are in fact grey imports. There is no European Type Approval for any Evolution model therefore all models are grey imports and have to undergo Single Vehicle Approval or SVA upon entering the EU (unless via Eire but that’s another story!). This situation may change at a later date. The real question should be ‘Do I buy an official Ralliart UK car or a non-official car?’ For the purposes of this question I will call the cars ‘UK’ and ‘import’.
Contrary to what anybody may tell you there are no major differences between a UK car and an import. All Evolutions come from exactly the same production line in Japan and they are all built to Japanese home market specifications.
However there are two main differences worth considering:
Ralliart UK can supply a comprehensive warranty on UK cars.
Some car insurance companies will only insure or offer a better rate for a UK car.
If you can find a tried and trusted warranty company to cover your import (or you simply don't want a warranty) then there is no reason not to contemplate an import. As for insurance, it is just a case of shopping around a bit more. Make sure that the insurance company you go for is in fact quoting for an import and not a UK car. If you do go for an import make sure it has been sourced direct from Japan by a reputable dealer or import agent.
There is a price differential between grey imports and the official UK cars and that is also reflected in second hand values. Don’t get confused that UK cars hold their value better than grey imports. You will pay a lot less for a brand new grey import in the first place, depreciation is the same wherever the car is sourced from.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I would add is that the warranty on the 6 is really provided by CCC (Colt Car Company) and is not controlled bt Ralliart. There have been disputes over brakes and also over what mods are and are not allowed.

On the 7 Ralliart aare underwriting the warranty on cars they supply themselves so these problems should not happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would buy the low mileage import, mechanical problems are rare on Evos. You'll probably want to tune it, which would probably invalidate the warranty anyway. Is an insurance based warranty available on the import? If so, these can be extended, although I accept that they may not be as good as the Colt Cars or Ralliart warranty. As has been pointed out, brake discs, which tend to warp, are not covered by the warranty anyway. The only thing I would have claimed under warranty if mine was an 'official' car, would have been the wheels which have corroded (common fault), but the thousands I saved more than covers the cost of a new set of alloys (if I could be bothered, I could probably make a claim against the supplier, under the Sale of Goods Act). Hope this helps :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys 4 all this useful info, i feel i have a bit more knowledge now for when i next go the dealers, am still waiting for R/art 2 get back to me on there's, hopefully 2morro, in the mean time i know where 2 come 4 some proper advice, again thanx a lot, u will b hearing from me again..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts