Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Just spent the last hour thawing out the hose and washing all that lovely
salt off the car.

Just found yet another major stone chip 1/2 way up the bonnet.

Is it me or is the paint quality pretty rubbish ?

I have the Canal Blue TME, is it just this paint ?

They are not just on the front airdam, but on the bonnet, the windscreen pillars and on the rear arches.

I have had many cars/makes (Fiat, Alfa, Ford, BMW, Audi, Scooby) over the years, and have never had as many stone chips appear so quickly on a car.

Any recomendations on how best to treat them ? or is it best to get the professionals to do it ?

I hope they don't charge per panel like the dent boys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No it is not just your colour , i have a satalite silver model and i accuired about half a dozen chips in the first week end i had the car , 9 months on and i am still arguing with the supplying dealer about having them fixed , matter (or so they tell me ) is now with ccc !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you let me know how you get on with this, as i have the satellite silver and it is chipped bad.

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a black 6 and it's getting to the stage where I'm scared to clean it for fear of discovering more stone chips or scrapes where some b****** has run a key down it.:( :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a black 6 and it's getting to the stage where I'm scared to clean it for fear of discovering more stone chips or scrapes where some b****** has run a key down it.:( :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my Pyreness black EVO one very small stone chip on the bonnet otherwise not the slightest problem with the paint although cleaning is a pain. Maybe you all should not tailgate and just overtake the people in front of you;)

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's nothing like tailgating a grit spreader just for a laugh. Don't know what I'm going to do in the summer though. May be I could just sit there and throw stones at it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a problem with all Lancers, perhaps they were trying to keep the weight down. You don't want to know what my old 4 looked like after 50,000 miles. The black covering on the bumper mesh also gets badly chipped after a while.

My silver 6 already has more than enough chips, thats why I'm getting the complete front bumper resprayed, the bonnet chips sorted then the front of the car Stone Guarded. Also gonna to put some stainless steel mesh on.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stonegaurd is a protective film that covers the lower parts of the bodywork.. Ie, front splitter, lower bumper etc isnt it? My Dad's Porch has it on.. When He waxed the car once he thought some one had keyed it right down the side, but it was just the protective film and dry wax was on the outer edge of it! Phew! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anybody know where to get and how much this 'armourguard' stuff?

Maybe Justin could find out and do us one of his famous group buys ? :) I'd have some, the only marks on my paintwork are stonechips and they really **** me off! Approx 10 a week and counting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Stone Guard film comes in a kit for the Evo5/6 and I would strongly recommend getting this fitted professionally. Dragon Autpsport supply it for £109, plus the £35 I was quoted for fitting.

Armour Fend also do an Evo 6 kit for about £500, plus fitting. This a more extensive kit that the Stone Guard kit, although you can add extra Stone Guard film where you like.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The issue with the film solution is that it doesn't cover enough of the car.

I have stone chips 3/4 of the way up the bonnet and on the windscreen pillars :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this is a bit late but I must have the same chips on the bonnet of my sattelite silver VI (wouldn't guess from the name). Most distressing to find out how thin the paint is each week when the car gets it's TLC time, but I'm almost used to it now (no more crying at the back of the garage and loud shouts of why?) :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MIP,

That's true, I even have a chip on the roof, but it will help protect the most vulnerable parts. Those are the ones that will look real bad if you try and sell the car in a few years time.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reims Rules! Solution re-spray your car in Reims Blue and wave goodbye to them stone chips. Seriously, I've got 2 stone chips in 18 months - thats not too bad. Could the different colour paints behave in different ways?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got this pic of the Armour Fend kit...

There is also a price list here. It is in Microsoft Word format.

Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts