Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the P1 went in today and I drove away in the Black Tommi Mak.

I test drove the car before I bought it, but this afternoon on my way home was the first time I really drove the TME in relative anger...

Like everyone else I read all the reviews, comparisons and road tests in the mags so I had high hopes for the EVO being the kind of car I wanted. Since I bought the P1 last June I felt there was something missing... Lack of feel from the steering, terrible understeer, crap brakes, horrible tyres and a dodgy gear box. The only thing that concerned me about the EVO was talk of an unforgiving hard ride..... rubbish, it's just planted. I'm sure people most people want to drive around in mobile sofas the way they go on in the mags.

I also thought I'd miss the P1 burble, but that Evo whistle more than makes up for it, fabulous.
I prefer the amazingly precise steering and turn in on the Mak (terrible on the 3 point turns.. :) ) but simply awesome in sweeping bends and tight twistys. I was going through roads I know well in the TME, and I was feeling the car's every move, not a hint of understeer, awesome brakes and fabulous, quick gear changes. I much prefer the lower revs and short shifts - adds to the whole experience

I knew this thing was meant to be good, but boy, have I made the right choice!!!!!!

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congratulations Pete,

and boy am I happy to read your post, I nearly bought a P1, and to be honest after the test drive (see blah blah blah accidents :D) I really didn't think it was that much of an improvement on the UK turbo with few choice mods.

Glad you love the TME and welcome to the MLR community.

Steve :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just sold my Scooby for a P1 or Evo 6 and boy am I glad I chose the Evo.

Your comments sum up the differences perfectly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete, welcome to the fold.

I recently test drove a P1 - (you can read my thoughts on my website, click the monpoly hotel icon above http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > ) -great car and as an all rounder and everday machine considerably better that whatever else you can get out there for similar money (Audi TT, Boxters etc...) but as a drivers tool the EVO is in a different league IMO. It goes, stops and corners harder and better .... is more thrilling, more focused, and more intimate. The sad thing is that many people like their cars soft, not me though. I test drove a noble M12 this morning and after all teh hype I was deeply disappointed .. felt like a mondeo with Land Rover suspension [img]http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >. I guess a lot of the mags just love softer cars and the everyday thing. Never again, will i read a road test without a big pinch of salt.

Enjoy and godd luck once you catch the Modding bug !!!

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had 2 P1`S blew the first up ( 3rd piston ) it was replaced, 3 months later it was replaced again but this time by THE BIG RED 7 and i could not be more happy!!!!!! apart from losing a shed of money on the P1 which was not even on the same planet never mind sport.
Welcome
JAY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
I bought a P1 last year after owning evo`s of differing spec. I didnt test drive the car and on the way home i pulled over and rang the garage up to ask them if they would take the car back as it was nothing like i expected it was going to be. The first thing i noticed was the quality of the whole car, there just wasnt any. It had so many squeaks and rattles it was unbeleivable.The steering was so slow but very comfortable. Icould go on forever, but that car made me realise just how good the EVO is, and that there is just no comparison whatsoever between these two cars nomatter who says what. The evo truly is king of the hill for sheer driving pleasure and experience.Prodrive sent me a nice video [ in fact they sent me two ] telling the story of the P1 development which at the time i thought was a nice touch. In retrospect i think they were bothered that they had made a mistake with this car and were trying everything to make sure that they got rid of them. When did Prodrive ever give anything away for free? They wont even answer your questions on the phone. Anyway, you have definatley made the right choice but the addiction has begun. Regards SIMON.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. You're right, talk of comparisons between the two is fruitless - they're in a seperate class.

Cheers Rich, your excellent site was a point of reference before I bought the EVO...

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the club lads, we knew there were a few Scooby converts but there seems to be more coming every day. Make sure you tell everyone at Scoobynet how happy you are, there are still a few 'misguided' souls there.... :D

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh, the dreaded Evo vs Scooby debate on Scoobynet :)

Unfortunately, they do tend to kick off a bit on this one but I don't know anyone who's gone back from an Evo to a Scooby.

A popular thing at the moment seem to be to sell your Scooby and get a Civic Type R, 3 or 4 guys have recently gone that route.

BTW fitted the short-shift kit to my Evo today, mega difference, makes the gearbox feel as taut as the rest of the car.

I've only had it since Friday and I've already modded it!

Cheers,

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After reading this thread the next few days just won't go quick enough,wednesday is the day i take my loved My2000 impreza2000 turbo into the garage and drive out in a lovely white EVO6,we all know what that feeling is like swappin ya motor,but this time its an EVO6,i cannot wait!!!!

take care

Blood

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A local Ford(!) garage have got a low mileage P1 on their forecourt and I've been thinking of taking a test drive to see for myself what those things are really like. This had made me determined to see how bad they really are once and for all. Watch this space!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BPB,
Whatever you do, if you test drive a P1 with standard brakes then don't try and go into a corner as quick as your Evo otherwise you won't be able to stop.
I test drove a P1 after getting the Evo and although it was a nice car to drive (a lot more sedate than the Evo) the brakes IMHO were sh!te.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very true....ain't thought of it like that.....mind you, methinks I'm getting nearer to an EVO by the week :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts