Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of talk about max boost that you can run safely on an E6 and most people seem to agree that the max is about 1.4 bar. Am I correct in understanding that this is 1.4 bar of sustained boost for most of the rev range?

My main question is what is the max overboost in the lower rev range , say 2750-4000rpm (then tapering off after this), that would be considered safe on stock internals? I would think that a brief 0.1 - 0.2 bar overboost to say 1.6 bar in this rpm range would contribute considerably to the torque and give the car even more of a kick during hard acceleration. I've been of the belief that it is usually high boost at high revs that make most engines go bang so as long as the boost was tapered back after the brief overboost shouldn't it be OK?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Aussie (nice car choice btw:D),
The reason that most engines go bang with high boost and high rpm is because of detonation occuring at high cylinder pressures and 'melting' the pistons.
Increasing the boost in the middle of the rev range is a good way to get good torque (like you say) but I would still say that anything above 1.4-1.5 and you'll be asking for trouble even if it is for a short period of time. You will still be subjecting the pistons, rods, rod bolts etc to a high combustion pressure and so this will weaken them over time. How long before they fail is anyones guess but I know for a fact that I wouldn't like to be the first one to say 'I was running 1.6 bar at 4,000 rpm when my engine went pop'.

Best to err on the side of caution and if you're going for above 1.4-1.5 then get the rods and pistons done. It'll be far cheaper in the long run than replacing a block, pistons, rods and lots of other bits if it does go wrong.

Just my opinion though

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna get my rods done very soon although PE don't think it's worth doing the pistons unless I do any further mods (which I'm NOT intending doing)

E6 TME
334BHP
305 LB/FT Torque
Peak Boost 1.5bar (although I have once seen 1.6 on a damp night)
Sustained Boost 1.3bar

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
peak boost is usually for a very short period,and 1.6 peak ,1.5 up to 6000rpm,tailing off to 1.3 by 7500rpm is safe in my opinion

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Daz... E6TME with full Magnex Exhaust (downpipe/de-cat/backbox) and full Power Engineering re-map.

I was pleasently suprised with the results!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts