Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,

The cold weather has hit here with temps as low as -3!:(, Anyway seems like my car has trouble coming up to full temp and i'm not getting full heat output from the heater. If i leave the car idling the car heats up fine and the heater works great, but as soon as i hit the road and get a bit of cold air flowing through the radiator the heater becomes less effective. So tonight i went for a good spin, returned home and popped the bonnet. To my suprise the top rad hose was only hotish and the lower hose was cold ie: the thermostat had closed!!:(. Now surely the radiator isn't that good at cooling things down!!. I changed the thermostat and radiator a while back to sort out an overheating problem!, either too hot or too cold!!!. This car is starting to take the ****!!!. Anyway if the thermostat is closed the radiator is by-passed so the coolant should come right up to temp fairly quick! Right???:D

Any ideas?, the new rad and thermostat are OE items by the way

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Symptoms wud suggest an air lock in the cooling system , try removing the rad cap with the engine cold , turn the heater on full , start the engine and allow to reach operating temp. This shu purge the system.

Shud that not solve it , make sure u installed the thermostat the correct way around , normally tho they will only fit 1 way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I would say this sounds like a thermostat stuck open. I had this problem about 3years back with my Calibra, and the garage tried to tell me it was an over effecient radiator ! Suffice to say that once I put a new rad in, it all started working OK.

As I understand it, with the rad stuck open, then the coolant is always going around the rad. If the car is stationary, no air is going through the rad, so water is being cooled, hence increase in temp. If you go out on the road and give it some stick, the air will be blasting through the rad, cooling the coolant down loads since there is no thermostat to stop it. This would explain your cool radiator when you returned.

I'm not sure about the air lock suggestion, I've never experienced it, but I would have thought the car would overheat if coolant isn't getting to the rad. properly - like I say, not a problem I've experienced.

HTH.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts