Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have worked with outlook for many years and also work in IT but this one has me beat, and maybe its simple i dont know

i upgraded to outlook 2003 and my personal folders show twice, if i change stuff in one, it upgrades in the other, so its like they are both shortcuts to teh same path, only one outlook.pst file they cant be deleted and both have the same properties...

any ideas how to get rid of one of them??

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
I'd copy the pst file to somwhere else then just try and delete them both, move the pst back and re-direct outlook to it

I had the same here but the main pst files are on the server so it was easier.

Jez

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try clicking on Folder list icon at the bottom towards the left of the screen.

It sound like you're just viewing the same pst twice.

Also scroll down to the bottom of the folder list and go into Data Management, see how manny pst files you have in there.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
none of those worked, not that simple i dont think,,, even read up on ms office 2003 help site and the options it gives you to follow doesnt work due to an error i get half way through the process...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you using exchange? if you are, you have 2 mailboxes/calendars etc one is stored in your local pst file the other is stored on the exchange server. you need to tell outlook 2003 to only use the exchange mailbox...... but i can remeber off hand where to do that, I "think" its in tool accounts email address. Have a look on google im sure you'l find it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
In control panel double click mail and enter. Click data files, this should only contain a link to 1 file if there is two you either more than 1 .pst file or you have enterd the same .pst twice delete one of the destinations. This is my first thought

I'll take a look when I get a moment and figure it out for you :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Right here we go!!!

What you might have done is imported the .pst file by using the File data file management!!!

1) Browse to Control Panel

2) Double Click Mail

3) Click on Data Files

4) Click Remove on all directory paths in the list

5) Open Outlook

6) If there are any Archive folders (.pst) Right click and select close *Arciver* or whatever the folder is called

7) Close Outlook

8) Browse to Control Panel

9) Double Click Mail

10) Click on Data Files

11) Click Add

12) Browse to the directory where your Archive folder is stored and double click

13) Re-Open Outlook, if that doesn't do it I stumped after 5 years in IT :D

Let me know

Mark

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Right here is the best thing to do. Close Outlook down and Move both pst's to a different folder. then open outlook and it will moan about not finding the pst file(s) point it to the pst u want that u moved.

This should clear it. Otherwise u will need to remove your mail profile in control panel, mail and start again.

Dan The Techy Man

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok am gonna try ctrs method in a min, but everyone elses suggestion i have either tried or its not correct, you cannot point outlook to any pst file, it simply doesnt open when u remove it, there are no duplicate psts or duplicate entries in the data file lists either, will try soon and let you know all konw, thanks for great help

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok update if i follow to step 5

1) Browse to Control Panel

2) Double Click Mail

3) Click on Data Files

4) Click Remove on all directory paths in the list

5) Open Outlook

when i reopen outlook even though there is no pst file in the folder before i open it, as i removed it it re creates another one, i ahve tried it both ways, the only way i can get 1 personal folders to show up, is to totally remove the data file so nothing is there, i then get 1 lot of personal folders showing, but im not sure what impact this has on other stuff??

thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
so if it add's a new pst file but with nothing in just import your old pst file into it by doing File Import & Export. Import Personal Folder File. blah de blah

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it adds a pst file with full up to date content :confused: i dont know where from, there is not 2 locations specified and ive also tried removing the archived folder, no idea where it gets it from, right now its working with only 1 personal folders but there is no datefile specified in data files<mail<control panel

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sorry Mate was away from the office yesterday, I will get back to you on this, I'm just going to install 2003 onto my machine or I will dig Mole in the ribs and see what he can come up with, I'll pm you with an answer :)

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Jason

go to the control panel, in there you will see the mail icon click on the data files option and tell us what path the pst file is looking for.

You can also add and remove them from there.

Jez

1 - 20 of 21 Posts