Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who was driving the P1 that did more laps than all the Evos added together? :)http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >:)
Martin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was Chris King's very well sorted P1. Roll cage, drummond suspension and APs. Also was very well driven by Chris.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your kind words.
Great day today, nice to meet you all finally, you have some very serious tackle and can see why your devoted to the marque.
Blade's car is something else, but hey, tell you something you dont already know eh !
Very squirmy this morning, the Elises and caterham's etc....struggled....then after lunch a clean dry line appeared and they all suddenly got quicker.......so did we ;) changed onto full slicks for the last hour and pushed all the way.....still buzzing from the thrill :D
Good to meet Barry (how do you get all 6ft 7 of you in the EVO mate ? ;) )
Thankful of no major incidents.
Donnington on the 30th December anyone ? Trackzone ?
I need more power :D
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very squirmy this morning . You can say that again! Oulton is a great track but not enough run offs which meant that , for me, the morning session was almost scary. The track was very slippery particularly at Druids. I know a few Evos had moments there. Droid was in the passenger seat when I had mine and I admire his coolness. I also welcomed his well caught!! comment said calmly.

The dry line in the afternoon completely changed the track and it was possible to really push on. Shame about the Elise at the end cutting the session short but at least he will make it home, with lots of tank tape holding the bodywork together ;)

Altogethere a good day, although there were a few Evo drivers and 2 Elise drivers who were taking liberties. The Elises were racing each other, slip streaming and overtaking in convoy in such a way that you didn't see the second car until you were nearly taking it out!! As for certain Evos, I don't know what it proves to tailgate flash lightsand be over aggressive. I personally only had one of them try it with me and I let him past very guickly, stuck to his arse and 2 corners late enjoyed his piroets and grass cutting antics. Other testostorone fueled driving I just observed, although strangely once it was dry these guys did not seem to be so able to do this. Could it be that their knowledge of the curcuit allowed them to drive faster in the wet while once it was dry and others had learnt the track, the advantage is had gone. I will get off my soap box now, but the actions of these few really spoilt the day for me.

Mellow, great car and great driving. Its always a pleasure to see a top car being driven well. And yes, it is clear you do need more power ;) :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon,

Did you mention the overly-aggressive driving to Jonny? He normally has a quiet word if someone is really taking the wotsit as it's bad for his business...

If you didn't then I think you should have - there's no point complaining now about it when it's too late to do anything!

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was a good day, ifnot a little cold!

Thanks to Barry for the eye opening ride he gave me in his car.. Was very fast!

Didnt really do much bar have a full breakfast and watch some cars..

Met simon very breifly! Hi! :)

Saw Blades car finaly, nice..

RC's car was very fast, again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris

You are probably right. However, I don't know whether I was being too protective of my car! It was only after, talking to Blade, that I realised it wasn't my imagination. However, there was no contact on the day between anyone and I found that the best way to deal with it was to pull over and slow right down. The 1 time I let somebody past and then carried on at full pace matching their speed, they span. I then felt it was really stupid so I spent the rest of the day ensuring that I ran well away from cars of similar speed.

Saying it spoilt the day for me is, on reflection, a little strong. However, there did seem that many were consumed by how many cars they had/could have overtaken and that there was peer pressure to perform. Somebody even commented about my car's performance when he had actually past me on a cooling down lap!

However, it was a good day and it was very interesting to see some very good cars being well driven. In addition, the circuit is extremely interesting and I would like to drive it again on a dry summer day. Only problem is, it is such a long way from London.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simon!

There arent a lot of people with Evos here in France, but if they come really close and try and push me off (which hasnt happened yet, because I havent met a car with comparable performance to mine yet on a track), I push them off the track. Let them pass, follow and make them spin in the next curve. I will be happy to buy a new fiber bumper from Rallytech afterwards :D

Peace and Love

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like the problem is engine, not transmission related. Just picked up my M5 and swapped over with the EVO. Steve from PE took the EVO out (set at 1.9 bar) and the M5 on the dual carriage way and blasted it. The M5 left te EVO! They are sticking it on the rollers to find out exactly what the problem is - but my guess is that it is losing about 30% of its power - yet is still generating high boost. Any ideas?? It certainly didn't feel quick at all the last two days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simon,Im sorry your day was spoilt for you,are you ok now,we really should have a word with those nasty,nasty people who upset you.Im sure your driving was an example to us all ,but I must add that at the speed you were driving you were wise to stay out of everyones way.Trackdays can be competitive,maybe at the next one we can arrange for you to go out on your own.:)

I thought the overall standard of driving on the day was excellent,Bookatrack obviously attract experienced drivers and there organization was very good,so thank you Book a Track ,and thanks to everyone that made my day so enjoyable.I also thought that Tony(Blade)behaved like a gentleman he had problems with his car but he took it on the chin ,and made the most of the day,when I was trying to pass him he saw me in his mirrors and let me pass,many wouldnt have.

Simon you are not a bad bloke ,but ive said it before,on occasion you do talk a load of ###### ,and I feel this is one of those occasions,:):):)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony,
Is the ECU retarding the ignition due to detting? This would result in a power loss while retaining high boost but I wouldn't have though it would result in a 30% drop. Check that your water tank in the boot for your water injection isn't empty ;)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been reading this thread with interest, I was at Oulton yesterday and feel I should comment (I was in the black and silver caterham if anyone remembers ).

Wazuptommi, you say that trackdays can be competetive, the whole point of them is that they *arent* competetive (did nobody listen to the briefing??)

This next comment isnt aimed at anyone in particular, but is just my thoughts on the matter.

If you're driving in competition with your mates then you're being a danger to other people, by all means drive as quickly as you like, but when you come up to a slower car dont sit there 2 inches from their rear and then overtake without them consenting to it, its just going to cause an accident one day (and will you, as the person who caused the accident, pay for the damage ?). Just sit back and chill for a while, they'll pull over and let you through soon enough, if they havent pulled over after a while give them a quick flash of your lights, if they still wont pull over, go back to the pits and tell someone in charge.

I only found two cars discourteous, one was an old white m3 with a full cage and race spec , the other was a silver evo 7. Thats still two cars too many on a trackday. The M3 could have caused a serious accident by overtaking without consent, the silver evo just sat millimeters from my bumper round a corner.

Claudius V1.2, I seriously hope you are joking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Julians,I just made the statement that Trackdays can be competetive,thats just a fact drivers briefing or not it happens,yes we would always like the perfect day with perfect driving but it doesnt happen.In the afternoon session I passed many Caterhams and I must say they all made room for me to pass,and I feel the overall driving standards were very good.For the record the M3 you mentioned behaved perfectly when I passed him,I took his line from him on the left coming out of Cascades he just nodded and lifted ,and I was through.If he was up your bumper maybe you was a little slow in giving your consent .

You may remember me Julian I was in the Red Evo 6 Makinen,in the morning I went out for 20 minutes to learn the circuit,I kept my right indicator going and moved over for every car that was coming up quicker than me,I did not experience many other drivers who displayed the same awareness ,but there were some and you was one of them.So we dont disagree in any way ,it just helps to accept that there is no such thing as a perfect track day,and one may have to make allowances and drive a little defensively,I can take care of myself on the circuit and take care of any idiots that may come my way.Good luck hope to meet you on track again:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The incident with the M3 happened like this.

I came up behind a slower yellow fireblade engined westfield, and patiently waited for him to indicate to let me through (although he was a little on the slow side at this), whilst i was waiting the white M3 came up behind me, the westfield indicated to let me past so I pulled out to the left only to find the M3 was already alongside me , only my observation kept me from hitting him in the side. That situation is exactly the reason why the overtaking by consent rule exists, So that you are aware at all times where all the cars are. Because I hadnt given him consent to pass he should still have been behind me.

Still, like you say there will always be some who get the red mist at trackdays, I've probably been guilty of it myself in the past although I try to tone it down these days, theres nothing to be gained or lost at a trackday, if you really want to say that you're faster than a porsche/ferrari/mini/whatever cars then enter a race series and prove it. Overtaking cars on a trackday doesent mean jack.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barry

What is your problem. just because nobody harassed you doesn't mean it didn't happen. Tony told me that he had it, I had it, I believe that Droid mentioned it (is that correct Droid) and 2 Elise drivers came to the pits to complain to the particular drivers. Now Julian has commented.

You state that trackdays can be competitive, well the shouldn't be. There were people there trying to score points and this was confirmed by various conversations. One of the tuners there was timing people and taking the p##s, particularly out of Blade which we all know was unfair. It is also strange that the only people who didn't give some acknowledgement after I let them through were other Evo drivers!! Yes, at times particularly in the wet I took it very easy. I spent the morning driving slowly, learning the circuit and I did not push until there was a dry line. Droid did the same.

In addition, your first comment to me when I arrived on Tuesday night was ready for a bit of racing tomorrow and you then kept talking about it being time to prove ... . You have posted that you had particular fun because of the number of cars you passed which is totally against the spirit of track days.
I will not be going to any more track days where I know that there are likely to be tuners trying to score points. Track days are not about that, they are about getting personal enjoyment. It should be your car and the track, not a competitive situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Julian,I agree if you want to be competitive enter a race series,I know I did,and I did it in Caterhams but on a track even a track day,there is competion ,because quicker drivers will pass slower drivers,thats the main reason people do track days they can prove something to themselves without the cost of competition.Have you never told your friends how well you believed you you performed on a track day.By the way what race series have you done? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well said Simon. 'racing' at trackdays is dangerous, and whilst I dont really have a problem with people counting how many cars they passed (I dont do it myself, seems a little pointless), some people do tend to put a little too much weight into the fact that they passed x number of cars, some of them they were probably genuinely faster than, but some undoubtably were just cooling down or warming up or just generally driving not at 100% deliberately for whatever reason.

Which is why until you've raced someone in a race series or event, saying that you were faster than someone is about as pointless as the boy racer in his nova saying he is faster than the bloke in the M3 because he beat him off the lights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simon,what ####ing planet are you on,if you want to talk about Tuesday night ,Im suprised you can remember anything after your fourth Becks,

As far as tuners scoring points are concerned,RC were always going to be there Ralliart decided to come at the last minute and we all no why Simon dont we?God your such a ####ing hypocrite and after seeing you perform on Tuesday nite also a little bit sad,

Oulton Park was a great day and all we have had from you is constant whinging get a life ,buy a dog,or something ,no on second thoughts dont do that I like dogs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts