Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions people . I have 360 mr hks bla Bla lol but should I a remap existing ecu , tweak it or would u advise buying another ecu and keeping mine so I could always go back to original . Or just leave it . There must be benefits from tweaking map slightly ie air fuel etc but as these cars are becoming somewhat of are rarity should I just leave it . Benefits of different ecu please guys . And what one . Bob and lee can map existing but I'm really unsure

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well the standard ECU will be fine unless you are going for big power?

Generally you only need to map if for instance you are running different fuel or have made a modification etc. The standard map on the car is rather good for the standard.

And you can just return your map to normal if for what ever reason you don't like the new map. No need to buy another ECU

Reactions: Realbadman

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Couple of questions people . I have 360 mr hks bla Bla lol but should I a remap existing ecu , tweak it or would u advise buying another ecu and keeping mine so I could always go back to original . Or just leave it . There must be benefits from tweaking map slightly ie air fuel etc but as these cars are becoming somewhat of are rarity should I just leave it . Benefits of different ecu please guys . And what one . Bob and lee can map existing but I'm really unsure
You dont mention whats been done, and is planned for your car, whats your end goal?

Stu

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
the standard ecu is also fine for big power? as many on here have proven already ...

but, choose your mapper/company first - talk to them :)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I had my IX MR 360 mapped after Stage 1 mods.
There was little gain over the stock figures but it was much smoother, and more eager to rev especially from mid-range.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Fraser good to see u today what’s yours running now and who mapped . Any regrets , issues etc bro

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any other comments are great chaps . Mines still standard pulling sweet . Only a de cat pipe and cone sports filter ( so not really standard ) will it de value car or make it better . She’s 10 years old and loved and looked after not used to much always warm before a blast . Not about money more damage on engine if I increase fun factor

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Why not buy a used stock ECU and have that mapped, put yours in a box for future.

I have my original 9 ECU kicking about, only issue is that it isn't in a casing as most replacement PNP use the original casing. Shouldn't be too hard to find an original ECU given how many go aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
For the small increase in power on the IX MR is stage one really worth it?
It's not just the numbers that matter. An improvement in drivability should be the main gain, some extra power will be a bonus :smthumbup

Moving one stage on, I'm not sure on the pro/ con argument for going SD Vs. MAF at stage 1 as I would anticipate it being very easy on the 9 due to already having inlet (manifold) temp and map sensors. In which case is should just be an adaptor plate to bypass the MAF, load a modified rom and map it!?

Be interested to know the consensus.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
In my old 5 I went from a ralliart ecu with corresponding boost, so about 350hp, to a remap and boost increase to 400, and for me it transformed the car. 400 in a 5 was for me the sweet spot bang for buck. I never felt sufficient need for more power to justify the further cost involved. So in my opinion, if done well, a remap at stage 1 is well worth doing

Stu

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,835 Posts
It's not just the numbers that matter. An improvement in drivability should be the main gain, some extra power will be a bonus :smthumbup

Moving one stage on, I'm not sure on the pro/ con argument for going SD Vs. MAF at stage 1 as I would anticipate it being very easy on the 9 due to already having inlet (manifold) temp and map sensors. In which case is should just be an adaptor plate to bypass the MAF, load a modified rom and map it!?

You talk about "more drivability" on a remap (not really) but then say you're not sure about going for SD when one of the benefits of SD is better throttle response. So one wonders what you consider drivability to be and what gains in that you think a remap is going to give that's worth £400.

To the OP, you might as well remap it, more power is always better but are you going to notice 40BHP? Is it going to "transform" the car? Not really, and no, but it's still worth doing.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts

What do you mean about an adaptor plate? Mine's on SD, I don't have any of that. The maf isn't an obstruction until way beyond the power we're talking about here, so no need to physically bypass it, just map it out.

I've been very happy with 380 brake and 360 ft/lbs, as far as I'm concerned that's the sweet spot for an Evo that spends most of the time on the road. They aren't numbers that tend to compromise reliability, but still makes for a quick car. I've tried it with more recently, I felt it was better with less.

I'd recommend going SD based on my experiences, but do your homework on who you let loose converting it, not everyone comes away happy.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
When running 400/400 on my 8 I was on MAF and the car was smooth and responsive (improved drivability, not more drivability) and no starting/ idling issues. SD wasn't a direct option like it is with the 9, I'm interested to know the opinion from those that have done it.

I don't know if the same is always true with SD. With a couple of Evo's I've been in/ driven it wasn't, maybe it was down to the map(per), if it's not a byproduct of going SD on stock ECU- I don't know. Hence I would be interested to know if there is much benefit in going SD on a stock ECU at 400.

·
Profound thinker
6,343 Posts
What's your budget, Gavalar?

Reason I ask is that I tinkered with my Evo 9 standard ECU having it mapped several times (all MAF). The maps felt good at the time. I latterly invested in a Link G4+ PNP ECU. The difference in smoothness and response was eye widening. Well recommended, easily justifying the extra expense. That said, it does depend entirely on how much you can afford and are prepared to spend.

Yours Aye

Mark H

1 - 20 of 54 Posts