Lancer Register Forum banner

101 - 120 of 309 Posts

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
If money were no object and you could leave the Mak there Rich it'd be great to see how long it would take for the underside to totally rust, 1-2yrs,? More, less ??

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Will you use it all year Rich?? Are you planning on heating garage at all??

Mine was the same, first week it drew mammoth amounts of water out the air and then it levelled off loads.. I haven't put mine on in the summer? Maybe i should?

I got a humidity sensor myself, but yours is the proper version!!
From what i can see the humidity rises into the 60's overnight at times, so i've now got mine running 24/7. As you know the de-humidifier puts out alittle heat, so i hope i'll not be adding a heater to the garage, time will tell. Depends on the internal temperature during winter. I've being doing the garage up (project thread to follow in XXX months time.) so hopefully it will retain enough heat.

I started out with a cheap meter off ebay, but the temperature was reading too high, so i complained and they sent another one out FOC, and that read the same! So i decided to spend money on a decent one. Rave reviews on Amazon so went for it. The big one you can see above reads a couple of degree's lower, but whats interesting is that the humidity is the same on all of them give or take a couple of percent. So that could be pretty accurate.

What is good about the big one, is that it can also be calibrated :naughty: The BBC weather online is updated every hour and they use readings from an old RAF base about half hour's drive from me. So you know i'll be doing at some point :blush:

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Thing is in Japan they're ok?? I know the salts not there but they have winters, and rain and humidity?? Surely if they are kept away from salt thats the main thing??

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
I managed to keep mine about 6 deg in the dead of winter which I thought was good considering outside was -10!!

My garage is insulated in roof but not walls, I do have a shiny new electric insulated roller door too :naughty:

Next job other that walls is to tile the floor ..

I will get one of them meters i was the same as you and got 2 different types and they both read different :wallbang:

From what i can see the humidity rises into the 60's overnight at times, so i've now got mine running 24/7. As you know the de-humidifier puts out alittle heat, so i hope i'll not be adding a heater to the garage, time will tell. Depends on the internal temperature during winter. I've being doing the garage up (project thread to follow in XXX months time.) so hopefully it will retain enough heat.

I started out with a cheap meter off ebay, but the temperature was reading too high, so i complained and they sent another one out FOC, and that read the same! So i decided to spend money on a decent one. Rave reviews on Amazon so went for it. The big one you can see above reads a couple of degree's lower, but whats interesting is that the humidity is the same on all of them give or take a couple of percent. So that could be pretty accurate.

What is good about the big one, is that it can also be calibrated :naughty: The BBC weather online is updated every hour and they use readings from an old RAF base about half hour's drive from me. So you know i'll be doing at some point :blush:

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
One other thing out of interest?

Have you had the ECU mapped for uk fuel or are you leaving it as is?
I havent touched the ECU and no plans to. With keeping the car standard i need all the help i can power wise :lol: (though to be fair, she seem's to be plenty fast enough).

If money were no object and you could leave the Mak there Rich it'd be great to see how long it would take for the underside to totally rust, 1-2yrs,? More, less ??
Good question. I bought a 9,000 mile MX-5 two years ago (dont ask!!!!! :wallbang: ) ...i hardly drove it (pile of crap). Sat in the garage most of the time. Didnt run it over winter at all. Looked under it the following spring and i swear it had 30% more corrosion on than the autumn before :confused: I didnt have a humidity meter and we've since moved house but from seeing the figures in the current garage, i'm in no doubt the car did deteriorate whilst sat nice and dry over winter. Very frustrating after spending so long finding a decent one for it to do that :blah:

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Thing is in Japan they're ok?? I know the salts not there but they have winters, and rain and humidity?? Surely if they are kept away from salt thats the main thing??
The salt is the main thing yes. But humidity will take its toll, and its that which causes metal to rust. Reading up on it, the consensus is that at 55% bare metal will not rust.

I managed to keep mine about 6 deg in the dead of winter which I thought was good considering outside was -10!!

My garage is insulated in roof but not walls, I do have a shiny new electric insulated roller door too :naughty:

Sounds like your a step in front of me, same plan of attack though :D

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts
I run it 24/7 in the winter as I used to get a lot of condensation dripping off the roof when the temperature starts to get cold. The car is garaged from October / November through to. April / May. I don't run it 24/7 in summer as the garage door is opened/closed far more regularly as I'm getting the car or bike out so the humidity would jump back up everytime the door is opened and fresh air goes in .

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Insulating the roof and door helped loads, in the winter I do mine through the night and its off in the day. I still remain under 60% humidity in the day if the door remains closed :smthumbup

I run it 24/7 in the winter as I used to get a lot of condensation dripping off the roof when the temperature starts to get cold. The car is garaged from October / November through to. April / May. I don't run it 24/7 in summer as the garage door is opened/closed far more regularly as I'm getting the car or bike out so the humidity would jump back up everytime the door is opened and fresh air goes in .

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts

I've gone for a Horrmann insulated roller door and painted the floor with Wickes liquid damp proof membrane then fitted pvc interlocking floor tiles. I've been thinking about insulating the roof somehow.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Roof is a must as heat rises etc...

How are the tiles with the car on them?? Was the paint expensive??

I've gone for a Horrmann insulated roller door and painted the floor with Wicked liquid damp proof membrane then fitted pvc interlocking floor tiles. I've been thinking about insulating the roof somehow.

·
Anthony
3,741 Posts
They are ok here if garaged. The humidity here is really very high, and it rains a lot (although not as much as the UK). But rust is not a problem at all unless cars are literally left out side and even then it takes years. I have been here since 1992 and in total about 12 years, I have seen ONE car being driven with rust holes in it (a Datsun 1200 ute in my neighborhood).
The one area you do need to watch it here is the interior fabric when humidity is really off the scale like in summer. In the home also, especially if you live near a lot of greenery, you really need to keep on top of the mould and mildew.

Some of the things seen / discussed here might be just as much rising damp as well as actual humidity in the air.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Hey Anthony, I was hoping you might chime in :lol:

Have you treated the box sections in yours? And do you use a dehumidifier?

I agree with you tho I think it's rising damp and poor insulation that's a bigger concern. I'm very lucky as I've gone mental with my garage to the point where you can live in it :)

They are ok here if garaged. The humidity here is really very high, and it rains a lot (although not as much as the UK). But rust is not a problem at all unless cars are literally left out side and even then it takes years. I have been here since 1992 and in total about 12 years, I have seen ONE car being driven with rust holes in it (a Datsun 1200 ute in my neighborhood).
The one area you do need to watch it here is the interior fabric when humidity is really off the scale like in summer. In the home also, especially if you live near a lot of greenery, you really need to keep on top of the mould and mildew.

Some of the things seen / discussed here might be just as much rising damp as well as actual humidity in the air.

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
Seems all a bit too anal for me fellas, I'm going to look after mine but I'm buggered if I'm going to spend hundreds on de humidifiers etc, I'll drive it and keep it all clean on the underside with regular cleans etc and just keep my eye on it, I've never noticed my garage with any moisture etc over the yrs anyway, so time will tell I guess ;)

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
As long as you keep it dry , no salt and don't put it in the garage wet I'm sure it will be totally fine. End of the day it's 17 years old now and it's fine and I doubt for the last 17 years it's been in a dehumidified garage. I would seriously consider box sections tho , that's my only advice. The rest of the underside you can keep an eye on.

101 - 120 of 309 Posts