Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While all my piping was off today i decided to check for play in the turbo shaft - thankfully not an ounce of movement in any direction

However, what did supprise me was the amount of "crud" and the amount of oil around the inlet.

Maybe completely normal but most pictures you see of turbos are completely clean

Picture taken though the BOV inlet

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
something wrong with breather ian? you running catch can etc?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
something wrong with breather ian? you running catch can etc?
Have one on the way ;), i'd decided on that before i checked though so a bit of luck

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
well get er cleaned, get the breather sorted, and check back soon :D

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
is it particularly desirable tho gray> surely this crap gums stuff up?

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
It's designed for emission control, most vehicles have breather recircs back to the inlet manifold to be burned rather than just venting.
If you want to keep it clean, then fit a catch can and vent to atmosphere.

is it particularly desirable tho gray> surely this crap gums stuff up?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It does gum stuff up, and also draws oil mist into the engine under boost (unlike the other circuit which is more oily but PCV controlled to keep it disabled under boost). Oil mist reduces your octane. However, despite the look of the pipes, I think it has little effect since you can't magically run much more timing if you VTA. Additionally, if you VTA you lose the vacuum draw through the rocker cover, this could result in sludging, condensation and acidic products of combustion corrosion, which are potentially worse problem.

So I've stuck with the stock system for my road car that has cold starts, sometimes short trips etc. If I wanted to do something about it I would fit a filter in the line between the rocker cover and the inlet, but it would be another maintenance item.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts