Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i have just fitted an oil pressure gauge on the EVO7. at idle it seem to be very low around 1bar it rises up with the revs to around 6 bar |PLS|

anything above 1500rpm will produce 2bar
2000rpm -2500rpm produces 3.2-3.5 bar
2500rpm-3000 4bar
and so on to 6-7bar

is that normal?

it is an evo 7 with semisynthetic oil 2000miles on the clock

thanks for the help

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sam

I cannot answer your question but after what happened to Anthony, I want to fit an oil pressure gauge. Which one did you fit and what sender does it use. Where is it fitted? Please tell me as much as possible and thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI SIMON

i have fitted the HKS mechanical gauge, quality gauge really 80-90£ i think so it is not that expensive either. i really could not be bothered waiting for anything else :)

the gauge according to the instruction should be fitted onto the oil pressure swith, however that is impossible because a lot of part would have need it to come off before you can even reach the switch and i mean big parts!!!!!!!

so got an adaptor and fitted it on one of the 2 extra blank nuts located on the oil pump. you have to remove the oil filter and a big bolt that is used to bolt some of the oil cooler. you won't actually miss them as they have an alan key hole. unscrew one of them and fit your line there. i suppose the second one will be for you to fit an oil temp gauge if you need to.

it is quite interesting though how low my oil pressure is at idle, it is probably due to the crap oil the dealer uses !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers evo boy, so is that the norm with the evo engine?

simon the adaptor i got from pipe more, jus a pipe company just asked them for an elbow the will fit the gauge plug on one end and i could screw it on pump on the other side.
i basically took the spare nut that i unscrewed with me and the oil gauge plug and went to pipe more and asked them for something that same size of one that will fit the other :)

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sam,

Thats the service spec 4 oil pressure .
I have been told by a number of people in car manufacturing that 1 of the reasons that they don't install oil pressure , and , in the case of Citroen , water temp gauges is that customers start 2 worry needlessly about the readings so they get pointless customer service calls.
Merc r an exception ( and there r probably others) they do fit oil pressure gauges as standard 2 all their cars , they even have a section on oil pressure in the owners handbook on wot is normal and not , like they say u may notice the oil pressure light flickering at tickover in very hot climates or after climbing long gradients when towing , but as long as the light goes out and the oil pressure gauge reads normal above wotever RPM this is ok Grief , alot of people wud get confused if they had 2 work that out ;)

There is 1 gauge I wish car manufacturers wud fit as standard , an oil LEVEL gauge , Citroen do and I find this indespensable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference when go on to synthetic oil at 4500 miles. I will post my readings once I have fitted on.

BTW, where did you mount the gauges you have fitted and what mount did you use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi evo boy thanks of the info the reason i asked is i did not really know what it was, and not that i was worried. i know from my subaru the when i changed my oil to motul full synthetic i gained an extra bar at idle.

simon
i will take couple of pics to show at some point.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fitted a defi oil pressure gauge by removing the original low pressure warning sender. You DO NOT need to remove any parts, but it is hidden under intake manifold (behind cylinder 4) and requires a lot of patience plus fiddling about!

At idle (after warm up) I get 1.2 bar. 3000 rpm it goes to 4.8 bars. My peak reading is 6.8 bars.

I'm currently using Castrol 10W-60 RS fully synthnetic oil and 15,000 KMs (9400 miles) on the clock.

Hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers EVO6TM

patience what is that? not one of my good qualities :)

it seem to be working fine where it is and it was very easy and straight forward to fit. it is just when i looked under the car for the pressure sender it looked so deep behind that shiny yellow metal (copper?) plate. and then there was to other bolts just stairing at me ;)

seem to be similar to what i am getting maybe 0.2 bar higher at idle could be due to the castrol oil.

sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.