Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the recommended oil is for this service??

Want to supply my own oil for the upcoming service but local dealer is saying they use Castrol RS 0W-30.

I can't find this as a valid grade anywhere - I CAN find 0W-40 which is what they used to use on the VII but they are adamant that they now use 0W-30.

I can find Castrol SLX 0W-30 which is fully synthetic.

My local factors - Camaberley Auto Factors also don't recognise RS 0W-30...

Will call Black Knight's lot a bit later on to see what they say........but in the meantime if anyone knows, please let ME know!

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If they haven't changed the oil they use then Brighton Mitsubishi use Castrol RS 0W-40.

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mark,

Yeah that's what I thought and it's what I used to use on the VII I had previously.

This is actually Guildford Mitsi saying that it changed and now they use Castrol RS 0W-30 - they even went and checked when I asked for confirmation :confused:

Just spoke to Camberley Auto Factors again and the only 0W-30 they do is Comma (Esso) at £41 for 5 litres...

Aparently there is Castrol SLX 0W-30 but that's for long life use, e.g. VWs and Audis.

Now VERY confused!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Mark,

Yeah that's what I thought and it's what I used to use on the VII I had previously.

This is actually Guildford Mitsi saying that it changed and now they use Castrol RS 0W-30 - they even went and checked when I asked for confirmation :confused:

Just spoke to Camberley Auto Factors again and the only 0W-30 they do is Comma (Esso) at £41 for 5 litres...

Aparently there is Castrol SLX 0W-30 but that's for long life use, e.g. VWs and Audis.

Now VERY confused!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Guildford Mitsubishi is in the same chain as Brighton, so that means they must have changed aswell.

I have always used castrol RS 0W-40 in mine and will continue to do so. Unless of course someone convinces me otherwise.

Try contacting oilman and see what he has to say.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bleesh
the oil you refer to is Castrol 0W30 SLX, it has been used in my car by Rodgers of plymouth, it is listed on the invoice as such. Oilman has recommended 5W40 Motul 300V of which I have purchased 22 litres off him at a great price. I don't think you can go wrong if you use this. Do a search on his posts and PM him for advice.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Mark and Glen,

Did contact Brighton direct (I knew Guildford and Brighton are part of the same group :) ) and they also confirm that they use Castrol RS 0W-30, specifically developed for Mitsubishi for the Evo VII.

At present it is trade only, which means I end up paying thru the nose for it, rather than supplying my own at about half the price.....

Spoke to local motor factor about the SLX 0W-30 and they said they would NOT put it in any performance car, let alone an Evo!

I'll PM Oilman as suggested as well :)

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Thats funny , because my dealer has just serviced my Evo II and according to the invoice I am now the proud user of Castrol SLX 0-30 oil as well! @ £9.88 per litre plus VAT...

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
0-30 is the oil recomended by the factory worldwide as the lowest grade you can use. Not all oils are available all over the world.
This is not available in the UK in bulk. so we use RS 0-40 as advised by Castrol
The castrol slx is for diesel engines and should not be put in the Evo.

Tony

·
Registered
13 Posts
Surprising then that the castrol.co.uk site quotes 'FORMULA SLX 0W-30' as the recommend oil for an Evo VIII when using it's which oil to use tool?

Neil

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well spotted.
This was changed late last year when the factory announced that the prefered oil was 10/30 (not 0/30 as i posted before) which is not available in the uk.
The Castrol rep says as we have had no problem with the 0/40 (which we have been using for 4 years) to carry on.

0/30 is fine for standard road cars but for hard use or tracks you should have a thicker oil.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Slightly Hijacking this thread but..... what is the minimal amount of work a main dealer can do to your car and yet still retain the warranty? - ie i have no interest in paying labour rates for change of plugs / pads - i am happy though to buy the right consumables from the main dealer.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
In theory none, so long as you can prove the schedules and correct parts have been used.

BUT nobody has tested this yet as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Black Knight said:
In theory none, so long as you can prove the schedules and correct parts have been used.

BUT nobody has tested this yet as far as I know.
The theory should work .....

Get the active yaw & diff done by dealer - invoice dated with milage.
Buy the remaining required service parts at the same time at the dealer - invoice dated - matches milage.
Buy correct oil - same date - verifies milage

Did this with my Evo IV and for trade in wasn't a problem with extreme (never had a warranty with that car though!). I'm not for skimping with these things but i do trust my own competence level a great deal with these things rather than have a possible trainee undo my easy to get at sump plug!

I'm away to dig about tonight on that one for the future with Station Garage in Torphins - the 13.5K is booked for tommorrow!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Black Knight said:
The work would need to be done by an registered and competent garage. (no jokes please)
Jobs for the boys! Now thats a joke - a bit like you can only use your no claims bonus on one car - the other you have start collecting again! :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts