Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been reading the 'Noisy Lifters' thread and an interesting point was made by Steve (Rosco) via RC Developments.

It seems part of the cause of the dreaded tappet rattle (at least on the E4-7) could be down to the fitting of the incorrect oil filter. I have heard this was a solution on the older Evo's (1-3) but I thought there was only one type of OE filter you could fit on the later Evo's. Steve said that RC state that the correct Oil Filter to fit on the E4-7 is the MD356000 and is listed on the Co-ordsport site as 'E4-7 VR4 Legnum' (@£12.84). I have just been checking through my service records and my local Mitsubishi dealer plus 2 other Mitsubishi dealers have been fitting MD322508 (charged @£6.82) at every service for the last 18 months on my E6. Its listed on the Co-ordsport site as 'Oil filter E1-7 DE2A Legnum' (@£14.08).

A few specific technical questions spring to mind:
What is the correct filter to use? (Personally I trust RC over Mitsubishi on this one)
What is the difference between the two filters (if any)?

and a general question to everyone:
What filters have you people had fitted to your car, by whom and have you had any tappet rattle? (check your service records for the filter number and reply below)
This equally applies to the earlier Evo's so let us know the correct number filter please.

It is not a major issue but I am just wondering why there are 2 filters being used on the same cars.

I will start the ball rolling.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
E6 GSR
MD322508
Mitsubishi dealer since 4/4/00
Tappets just started to rattle longer than start up period (needs oil change though).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Except when I had the first oil change service done at the supplying importer , where they fitted a bloody PATTERN Fram but listed on the invoice a Genuine Mitsubishi filter , I have used MD356000 exclusively .Tappets r silent ,using 10w30 engine oil BTW.

On the MD356000 filter there is supposed 2 b an anti-drain back valve , I'll disect the next filter I remove and investigate. Grief H , I wish u wud desist starting this type of thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy at Ralliart ,told be 356000 is the correct filter,my dealer argued that the 322508 was the correct filter and I allowed him to fit it.RC told me the correct filter was the 356000 and changed it.

I therefore believe it must be the 356000,the Evo when it leaves Japan is fitted with the 356000 our dealers then fit the 322508 because apparently it is easier to aquire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that explains it, cancel the survey!
Cheers Waz.

Now how did I know Mitsubishi were going to be wrong?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what is the correct filter for the earlier evo's (E1-3's)???

Because I have been sadly going with the Mitsubishi is right theory http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > sob sob

Please someone....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mouton,
If it was a by-pass filter system then you would be right but it is a full-flow type (most engines use the full-flow system nowadays) where the oil is collected by the pump, passed through the filter and then out to the bearings. Having an anti-drain valve in the filter means when you switch off the oil is stopped from draining out of the filter and sits in there ready to go to the bearings almost straight away on start up (doesn't need to be sucked up by the pump first). It prevents possible wear on start-up and gets the oil circulating quicker. The fact that the filter sits upside down may mean that the an anti-drain valve won't be necessary.

I am not saying that the filter Mitsubishi fit (MD322508) doesn't have an anti-drain valve or is useless but there must be a reason why the MD356000 is considered a better filter.

E3xta,
Don't worry your engine ain't going to fall to bits or anything and in fact if you haven't got a noisey tappet problem then stick with the Mitsubishi item.
I do believe that there is a Champion filter that people have recommended for the E1-3 I will see if I can find out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on my E4 GSR, it was fitted with MMC recommended oil filter and the part no. is MD136466. bought a dozen of it since we replace them every 5-10K kms... this is the same part quoted by our local Ralliart dealer. hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has it all!

http://www6.nyan.ne.jp/~apexi/indexa0/product2/oil_aero/ufo-car-type-mitsubishi.shtml

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked with my local Ralliart dealer (Yeovil) as my car is having a 9000 mile service next week. They were going to fit the MD322508, however they are happy to fit the MD356000 and are ordering one for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having delved further into oil filters I have the following information:-
There are three filters listed for evo 6 as original equipment as follows,
MD 136466 For evo 5
MD 322508 For evo 6 ( european spec)
MD 356000 For Tommi Mak and Evo 7

356000 is fine for grey imports and evo 7

Hope this helps.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked on my shelf as I stock some and it's the MD356000. When I've got the car serviced at our Rally prep after fitting the sports ecu they used the same oil filter. And, on my car no noisy tappets despite using the Mobil 5W-50 oil.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyones input.

What the real question should be now is why is MD356000 regarded as the 'correct' filter to use or in other words what is so damn special about it? (Evoboy suggests an anti-drain valve)

I have emailed Ralliart and see what they say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fitted a MD322508 last time I changed the oil and use Castrol 10/60W and have noisy tappets, is there a link between the two perhaps, anyway I will fit a MD356000 next week and see if there is a change in tappet noise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the skinflints who so our own servicing among us I can recommend Halford's own filter (HOF226 for the 4G93, dunno about the 4G63).

Ever since I've started using this filter:

The car has almost no tappet noise, even 4000 miles after an oil change when they used to start getting noisy again.

I've noticed that the oil takes a lot longer to get black after a change - I can only assume this is a 'good thing'.

Remember this is on a 8 year old engine that has done 80-90,000 miles (with the original tappets) that used to make a hell of a racket. I need to peer past my boost guage to check so I never know exactly how many miles I've done!

I'm now onto my third Halford's filter and will certainly not be going back to Mitsubishi for any more parts!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To repeat earlier message
MD322508 for european/uk spec cars
MD356000 for any grey imports

I dont know why they are different but this is from official specs for evos from japan.

regards

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At one time I found that an E3 filter had been fitted to my E4,it hung approx 2 inchs longer .Wonder it didn't get ripped off over sleeping policemen.
Missus liked the extra couple of inchs though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello all.
I must make a correction to my previous post when i said euro spec I meant european use this is from jap mitsubishi parts system. I still dont know why they are different though.

Tony

1 - 20 of 32 Posts