Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this seems a silly question, but is the oil filter for an Evo 7 same as for a 4/5/6?

There are no official Evo dealers here where I live, so I can't just ask. I brought the E7 to the Mitsi dealer (was looking for some floormats at the time,) and half of the dealership emptied out onto the lot, with the sales and technical people gawking at the car, as they had never seen one for real, apart from pictures and brochures!

Took the car to my garage for a quick peek at the filter part#, but I was in a rush, and didn't want to have to take down the aerodynamic undertry at the time.

If anyone knows for sure that the filter is the same, then I can go ahead and order one w/o worries that it won't fit.

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Original Post:
Sorry if this seems a silly question, but is the oil filter for an Evo 7 same as for a 4/5/6?
See the thread entitled 'New 7 - Oil changes' started by me on the 4th.

You need Oil Filter MD356000 - dunno if it's the same as a 4/5/6, but when I rang the dealer the guy knew straight away that they had the part as soon as I said the number so I presume it's common to some other models. I was expecting to pay £13.40 |PLS| VAT but Welsh ones are £9.67 |PLS| VAT.
Took the car to my garage for a quick peek at the filter part#, but I was in a rush, and didn't want to have to take down the aerodynamic undertry at the time.
Ah, I fell for that one too. I hunted round for the filter for a while, removed the undertray, then realised I could probably have drained the oil and changed the filter without removing the undertray. It's probably easier if you remove the right hand wheel.

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
hes, dr bob is quite correct the md356000 is the one you need for an E7. I asked them to fit this to my e6 on my last service but they wouldn't as thier parts database (which they showed me) lists it as being for the 7 only.

The 356000 apparently contains an antidrain valve that stops the oil flowing back out of the head and into the sump when the engines off. This means you may get tappet rattle with the other type filter, which surprisingly I now have. Whoever maintain the parts database is obvoiulsy a fukwit.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Well get them to show you the screen because the official Mitsubishi parts database that connects with Japan (JCaps) that Tony showed me clearly states that the MD356000 and the MD322508 can be fitted to the E5 and amp; 6. The only difference is that it says MD322508 is 'Europe use only' but doesn't state that MD356000 should not be used.

By the way I am not sure on the exact difference between the two, the design of the inside is slightly different and I am not sure about the anti-drain valve, it looks like they both have one to me but I will check at the weekend (I still have my old one). Personally I am not certain if an anti-drain valve would be needed as the filter sits upside down at about sump level so it should retain the oil anyway (unless it syphons out).
I was putting it off but I will check it out at the weekend ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
hh, they did show me the screen and it stated For Evolution 7 only . This was middle of Dec at Vincents Yeovil (Ralliart approved).

It's a bit scary that Mitsi can't get there act together on this. I wish i knew which one they had taken off as the tappet rattle has only occured since the service.

the oil will drain out of cyl head quite happily without non return valve due to hydraulic head of oil in oil galleries going up to the cyl head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts