Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was also told the thinner Mobil 1 was not the right oil
for my EV. I always used it in other cars.

I have choosen to use Casrtol RS 10/60.

Now to get the AYC refreshed.
Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is exactly the same info that I received from coordsport. Mobil-1 is too thin. The best oils to use is (as you already know) Castrol RS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just had the first 4500 service on my E6 and they put shell Helix Plus 10w/40 in - said they use that in their rally cars.

Should I be afraid?????

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nevermind what oil whoever uses in their rally car. I want to know what grade of oil Mitsubishi advise to use in the owners manual (for those of you that got one. I don't want to know the brand. I want to know the grade, like 10W30, 15W40 or whatever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I had my oil changed on my E6, Mitsubishi Gatwick said 10w40 semi-synthetic and Mitsubishi Newquay said 10w40 fully synthetic. The Newquay guy seemed pretty convinced about the info he was given by Mitsubishi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My EVI has just had it's first service.

According to the Ralliart service schedule that my local Mitsubishi dealer worked from, the oil is to be semi synthetic until the 4,500 mile service when it should be changed to fully synthetic.

I do not recall the oil grades recommended though.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't read japanese but have a japanese owners manual. However I have looked at everything that seems to relate to oil and cannot see 10/60w mentioned anywhere. Lots of mentions of 5/30w though.

Also japanese unleaded is always rated at 100RON. I have assumed that the japs standerd is the same as the european until yesterday when I was advised it wasn't and that ordinary european 95RON unleaded is OK. Is the japanese octane rating the same as in europe?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No! 100 RON is very different to 95 RON. You need to run your EVO on Super Unleaded (97 RON) to avoid long term damage.

It also gets better performance. Costs you though - 5 to 10p a litre more.

See other threads on this site for more info

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE:OIL CHANGE/Fuel type

Is it not the case that the reason that you get better performance from superunleaded the fact that the relevant sensor detects the risk of knock and adjusts things accordingly thus avoiding the risk of damage to engine, etc ? At least it is according to the dealer who services mine (maybe he's wrong ?)

What will we do when superunleaded is no longer available ? it's already hard enough, if not impossible to find !!

Does anyone know of a good brand and source of octane booster if such a thing exists ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Summertime last year I asked Ralliart UK about super unleaded being discontinued. Their Technical guy (I'd know his name if I saw it! Sid?) said that a modified ecu was being developed. This would be available at extra cost, but you would save money on petrol in the long run to pay for it .

Haven't enquired since.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was up at Dudley the other week, and Colin (ring any bells Indy?) said that they were developing an ECU to allow running on 95RON that would, wait for it, both boost power and increase fuel economy by 5mpg! (And, before any smart-ass asks, it wasn't April 1st).

Reckoned it would cost about £1200-1500 but wasn't sure when it would be ready.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and amp; ask more.

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Al,

Sid / Colin, sound the same really?! Pretty much what I was told. Just have to wait and see....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the above is corect, how do you guys with UK supplied Evo6's feel about having to fork-out for a new ECU to cater for absence of superunleaded ??

Surely octane booster (if indeed such a thing exists) would be a cheaper option, especially if all of us plonkers with cars that you cant buy fuel for (or soon wont be able to buy fuel for) club together and buy in bulk

any comments ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have used Silkolene Proboost which cost about 7 quid a tin. Half a tin is enough for 50 litres and will raise superunleaded octane rating back to 98 Ron. A whole tin will give you 99 Ron.

I used this on my Impreza, and will be using it again shortly on my EVO when it is run in. It is always difficult to judge but it certainly appeared to increase the cars urge, and for certain I could return a fuel economy figure of about 31 mpg crusing for the most part on the motorway at about 85 mph. This was an increase of about 4/5 mpg. However when driving hard the fuel economy was as bad as ever. I am getting about 22 mpg from the EVO running it in, so I am interested to see how Proboost might effect things.

The other point is that if you carry a can in the boot and you can't find SUL anywhere (which happens sometimes) you can fill up with 95 Ron plus a tin and have your 97 Ron. The downside is that it is a pain measuring it into a container at the pumps. I used to use a plastic measuring jug, but this was quite hard to pour down the petrol hole. I notice the EVO's petrol cap is seated even deeper into the body so a suitable pouring receptical will be required.

The only source I readily know of is Pete Croney at Scoobysport 01268 590085.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are we any closer to discovering what grade of engine oil is recommended in the Evo owners manual? I can't see 10/60w listed anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure what each 10w60 etc. covers, but I have formed the following opinion:

- Have checked through my Jap Evo6 manual and the only reference I can pick up is 10w30.
- BOTH Mitsubishi garages have recommended 10w40. One said semi-synthetic, the other fully-synthetic.
- The Evo tech who recommended fully was in NO doubt whatsover.

Unless someone out there can convince me otherwise, I will be using fully synthetic 10w40.

I have yet to check with Mitsi (who prefered Duckhams, I think), but Castrol Magnatec will be my choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mobil1 can be got in 15W/50 ( for motorsport use ) unlike the 0w/40 stuff sold at garages. I used to get it from Demon Tweeks, but now I can get it from Halfords! I have used this on my evo6 and Impreza WRX's as well with no problems.
Mitsubishi/Ralliart , however, condone the use of the Castrol RS 10W/60.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mobil1 can be got in 15W/50 ( for motorsport use ) unlike the 0w/40 stuff sold at garages. I used to get it from Demon Tweeks, but now I can get it from Halfords! I have used this on my evo6 and Impreza WRX's as well with no problems.
Mitsubishi/Ralliart , however, condone the use of the Castrol RS 10W/60.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have asked this question on the evolist, but I think there is a problem with that site this pm.

Anyhow, my cars is in for it's 4500 service and I need to know if a fully synthetic Esso oil 5W/40 is sufficient for my car. The local Mitsubishi dealer has asked Ralliart and they, rather unhelpfully stated any synthetic oil is ok.

This contradicts info given out by Co-ordsport from the evolist, they recommended 10w/60!

An urgent response would be appreciated, as I have to call the garage and let them know what oil to use.

Thanks in anticipation.

Frosty

1 - 20 of 23 Posts