Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

can you explain what a oil breather tank is, and whether it is a worthwile purchase??

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lee,
During the combustion process, some of the burnt gases will get past the piston rings and blow down into the sump and crankcase and in doing so they pick up some oil on the way.
In order to minimise emissions of these nasty smelly oily gases they are recycled back into the engine to be burnt again. To do this, a breather pipe is fitted (normally comes from the rocker cover) and returns any expelled gases back into the intake system. The oil that is inevitably present in this air is then put into the engine and can reduce power because it's not petrol and doesn't burn as easily. An oil breather tank fits into the breather line and removes the oil from the air before it gets back into the engine therefore giving a marginal increase in power.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy

Great answer but...... therefore giving a marginal increase in power .

But is it worth it? By marginal do you mean 1/ 2 bhp or 1/2 % ? Also. I had always assumed that by catching that oil it was better for the engine regardless of power gain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simon,
You are correct in that it will be better for the engine not to try and burn oil and turn into a turbo diesel :D
As for the amount of increase, I would assume that it depends on how much oil is present in the gases that you are removing. IF you are getting a lot of oil in from the breather pipe then you will be able to substitute this volume with air/petrol and get a better combustion. The amount of oil picked up will no doubt vary depending on engine condition (worn piston rings etc) and so I would have thought that a precise answer could not be given unless you try it out. It will give an improvement but how much, I don't know.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which is the correct routing of breather hoses? Is it,

1. From valve cover to catch can, then back to intake pipe?

- or -

2. From valve cover to catch can, then dump to atmosphere?

Thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the pics of blades car it follows route 1.

but seeing as i didnt even know what it does, dont ask me :)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turbo,
The best route for the breather hose is straight to atmosphere to make sure that fresh air and not gases that have already been burnt once is put into the induction every time. Manufacturers recycle the gases because it is environmentally friendly to do so.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My oil catch tank outlet use to go to atmosphere, but now I plug it back into the intake. Tell you the truth; I don't notice the difference!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard this is only worthwile if you boost high, say 1.5 -1.6 bars as the fumes wont appear until then. Is that true?

Simon

dont forged pistons as used in the Extreme have higher tolerances, ie they will be easier to bypass the piston rings? If so, it might be worthwhile for your engine even more than a std one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Claudius

Yes, forged pistons do need extra clearance when cold to allow for expansion. As I have reported elsewhere, when I am doing lots of short journeys the oil consumsion goes up! I suspect that an oil breather tank might help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought mine because it was pretty and I had a blank cheque available :D

No, seriously, I get very little oil usage - not sure if that is related to this or not. Every bit counts, but I doubt you would notice the benefit much in isolation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL IRL Blade!

Simon, you understood me! ;) If I were you (old, anxious about engine failure and warranty, living in the city etc :D) I would get a breather tank. I doesnt cost much and can only be beneficial. Check the breather tank often so it doesnt fill up!! Just kidding. Try it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, the two main reasons why you don't want oil to mix with the incoming air is that the oil will coat the inside of the intercooler and reduce its efficiency and most importantly the oil reduces knock resistance.

I think the best way to do it is to connect the vent hose and the PCV hose to an internally baffled catch can which is then connected to the intake. This way you get vaccum assisting the crankcase ventilation and leavethe majority of the oil behind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The big problem is (especially for HKS racing suction kit users) the oil tends to coat
the inside of the induction pipe, any crap that manages to get through the HKS filter
then sticks to the oil on the inside of the pipe; building up over time and finally falling
off in a oily/dirty lump into the turbo.....OUCH !

Buy an oil breather/catch tank if you have an HKS induction kit. I can give 10% disc
on the Spec-R tank, it looks the nuts too, especially when aeroquipped.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how much then, and can you fit it??

does it come with them nice braided hoses like on blades car??

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's the effect/danger of putting the breather hose directly from engine to atmosphere without any oil breather kit ?

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You'll just blow the oil mist to atmostphere. There will be no negative affects to the engine, just oil deposits where the end of the breather pipe is routed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spec R oil breather is £150|PLS|10 del |PLS| vat - 10% disc |EQU| £170.38

Ultra easy to fit (unless you have a 3 point strut brace like me - ARSE!) ,
but the hoses are extra , spend money on quality aeroquip hoses, looks
awesome !

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aero spec ss braided lines r not required on a breather system , there is no pressure , vacuum or temperature 2 speak of so it's unjustified expense. We do a much lower price ss braided tube for this sort of application , which is still compatible with those fake hose ends.
Just 2 b clear , the high spec stuff is the way 2 go 4 oil cooler and other oil and fuel lines.
BTW u can buy race rule spec breather catch tanks much cheaper than the Spec URRRGGGHHHH stuff .
Not trying 2 spoil any1's party here , just telling about alternatives :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I quite agree, on my cossie all I had was a piece of rubber hose routed into a plastic pot which was tie wrapped to the inner wing! Cost me nothing but did the job. If the car blows out a lot of oil, which the cossie used to do being a dinasour running 1.7bar;) it's good to have another pipe at the bottom of the pot to drain the oil back into the sump. It's just a simple oil/air seperator.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts