Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My evo 6 has ohlins coilovers installed and I have the issue if I have 3 people (only my children) in the back the tyres rub on the mudflaps and arch liner. I just went to adjust the coliver up but noticed that the distance between the locking collars are 105 mm which is the maximum. The car has 225 40 18 tyres on it just wondered if anyone else with ohlins has the same issue. The manual says 90 mm +- 15mm so it's already at its max I think unless i am miss understanding the manual. Is there anyway of moving the rear further up.

Cheers

Thanks

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Is it definitely rubbing the arch liner? I had rubbing noises on my 8 with my bilsteins not the same I know but it was just the mudflap bracket had bent going Over a speed bump and was touching the tyre. I have 18's with a 245/40/18. Maybe doesn't help but just my experience.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I took the wheel off and it's rubbed the mud flap and the corner of the wheel arch liner that sticks out a little more than the rest. It's fine with 2 in the back but 3 it rubs. Quite annoying at its my day to day family car.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does increasing the spring preload mean there will be less suspension travel and therefore less chance of rubbing when people in the rear of the car. Can't quite get my head around it.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I am by no means an expert but trying to help so looked at the adjustment instructions for the ohlins and it sounds like you need to increase the preload on the springs. Then adjust your ride height from there so you're within that 90mm +/- 15mm window.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh OK so I may try increasing the preload on the spring and see If that helps. But that would mean I would have to lower the strut a little in order to keep at the 105mm between the top and lower locking nut. I did wonder whether I could keep the strut length the same but just increase the preload

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Oh OK so I may try increasing the preload on the spring and see If that helps. But that would mean I would have to lower the strut a little in order to keep at the 105mm between the top and lower locking nut. I did wonder whether I could keep the strut length the same but just increase the preload
just increase the preload... dont touch the height adjust...

thing is.. height adjuster needs to keep some length of threads in, so you can not go as high as you like.. When you add more people in the back the car will sit lower and you need more preload and/or stiffer spring..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brilliant will try increasing preload on the spring and hope that helps. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I have the same issue (maybe) with my 6. I have Ohlins, the 7/8/9 kit on it, and the rear sits low compared to the front. Hoping when it's in for its belts next month that it can be raised up at the back.

And yet, on the pic, the sills look level!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I don't mind the car sitting higher at the rear it looks too low anyway in comparison to the front. It's similar to adamlstr pic but lower and that's at full strut length. Hopefully the preload will sort it. Apart from that think the ohlins are amazing in comparison to my old oem suspension. So hopefully the increased preload will not change how it drives too much

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to ask what sort of increase should I try. Is 5mm increase spring preload too much. Or should I be trying just a couple of mm.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
5mm will lift the rear more than 5 mm.. but I would try 5mm for start...

the correct method would be to load the car and then measure the damper travel and see where you are with bump/rebound travel... that would give you indication on the preload nedeed and spring stifness nedeed...

however... try and see..

one thing that I would do in your case also is to unwind the spring platforms completely and then push the rear suspension up to the bumpstop (on the lft of course).. then you can see where it rubs..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts