Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've managed to get some money together and it is enough to allow me to swap the rusty bilstein suspension and also allow me to change the front brembo brakes on my IX FQ 360

Over the past year I have said that I want Ohlins DFV'S and The Alcon advantage extreme kit.

I think the Ohlins is a wise choice but not overly sure on the Alcons.

Opinions?

Registered
Why have doubt in the alcons??
Their awsomeness :smthumbup

I had brembos with the PF upgrade, disks and pads
Then big ksport kit with xp's
Now the alcons and Xp's

Been a very noticeable difference in stopping power everytime and the latter stopping 600+ ;)

Reactions: CRABBY21

Registered
If you are interested in the DFV, you could also give some consideration to the new MeisterR GT1 coilovers also.

While we aren't as well known as the Ohlins DFV, the GT1 coilovers are every bit as technically advanced, will provide great performance both for road and track use, and is a little cheaper. :)

The MeisterR GT1 are fully engineered, CNC machined, and hand build in the UK.
We design the GT1 piston from scratch to provide the wanted damping characteristic.
They will be comfortable on the motorway, responsive on the fast road twisty, and competitive on the track.

Even the oil we used are from Millers to ensure fade free performance no matter what you throw at the GT1 coilovers.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a message and we will be happy to provide you more information. :)

Jerrick

Registered
If you are interested in the DFV, you could also give some consideration to the new MeisterR GT1 coilovers also.

While we aren't as well known as the Ohlins DFV, the GT1 coilovers are every bit as technically advanced, will provide great performance both for road and track use, and is a little cheaper. :)

The MeisterR GT1 are fully engineered, CNC machined, and hand build in the UK.
We design the GT1 piston from scratch to provide the wanted damping characteristic.
They will be comfortable on the motorway, responsive on the fast road twisty, and competitive on the track.

Even the oil we used are from Millers to ensure fade free performance no matter what you throw at the GT1 coilovers.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a message and we will be happy to provide you more information. :)

Jerrick
what's the droop length on the suspension you are talking about?

Registered
As the coilovers are dual perch design, you can adjust the compression / rebound travel to suit your need / usage / springs rate.

The front damper have 120mm total travel not including bump stop.
The rear damper have 135mm total travel not including bump stop.

With that said, we haven't had any issue / complain regarding customer running out of travel and hitting the bump stop.

Jerrick

Registered
As the coilovers are dual perch design, you can adjust the compression / rebound travel to suit your need / usage / springs rate.

The front damper have 120mm total travel not including bump stop.
The rear damper have 135mm total travel not including bump stop.

With that said, we haven't had any issue / complain regarding customer running out of travel and hitting the bump stop.

Jerrick
would you mind answering my question now? :lol:

how much droop?

custom caged 9gt
I have some Nitron 3way for sale in as new condition and recently serviced. Pm me if your interested
Brad:smthumbup

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info / feedback so far.

After doing a bit more research I think the Ohlins and Alcons will be the way forward. I seems that there are now bad feedback wo regards to either bits of kit(well maybe only the cost) but I suppose at the end of the day you only get what you pay for

Just got to get on to APT now and get it arranged.

Premium Member
With Ohlins and Alcons you're obviously going to be racing it or partaking in some serious track day action? I have some Intrax coil overs that are very very good that in selling if you're interested.

Registered
I've managed to get some money together and it is enough to allow me to swap the rusty bilstein suspension and also allow me to change the front brembo brakes on my IX FQ 360

Over the past year I have said that I want Ohlins DFV'S and The Alcon advantage extreme kit.

I think the Ohlins is a wise choice but not overly sure on the Alcons.

Opinions?
I've got Ohlins and Alcons you won,t be disappointed :smthumbup

Registered
Thanks for the info / feedback so far.

After doing a bit more research I think the Ohlins and Alcons will be the way forward. I seems that there are now bad feedback wo regards to either bits of kit(well maybe only the cost) but I suppose at the end of the day you only get what you pay for

Just got to get on to APT now and get it arranged.
The Ohlins DFV is a good suspension, it is why we it is one of the aim we have when we were developing the MeisterR GT1 coilovers.
Like you said, the down side is that they are pretty expensive.
But for the high-end single way adjustable coilovers, Ohlins DFV is one of the few suspension that are design correctly for a fast road / track day suspensions.
There was a few cases where Ohlins got it wrong, namely with the Mazda MX5.
But I don't think you will be "disappointed" with the DFV coilovers.

would you mind answering my question now? :lol:

how much droop?
Right Kenny, this question is harder to answer because the droop travel is adjustable on the GT1 coilovers via the spring pre-load.

But if you are using a standard weight EVO9, using the standard front springs (7kg/mm), and using the standard 2mm pre-load setting.
You will expect the car to droop around 60mm.

Also, when you say droop travel, do you mean compression travel or rebound travel from static ride height position?
I seen this term "Droop Travel" use by different people with different meaning, so i just want to make sure I am answering the correct questions.

Jerrick

Zero Fighter
I have some Nitron 3way for sale in as new condition and recently serviced. Pm me if your interested
Brad:smthumbup
I'd be considering these if I was in market

To OP,

Why only consider ohlins ? Have a look at KW too amongst few

Registered
To be very untechnical here....Droop...the amount of travel downwards when you jack the car up.

The reason I ask is sometimes droop can be too short for some purposes...like 45mm. Not a problem for the track but when you go over a fast B road the car becomes very skippy over 60mph even though the suspension is comfortable.

Premium Member
Fitting alcons and proflex's to my 8.

As said there are more than just ohlins, nitron 1 ways or KW. Would depend what you want to use the car for.

Transmission Dynamics
With Ohlins and Alcons you're obviously going to be racing it or partaking in some serious track day action? I have some Intrax coil overs that are very very good that in selling if you're interested.
Why would you need to partake in racing or track action to fit Ohlins DFV.

This suspension is designed for the road, with maybe a bit of track work now and again. I have these fitted to my BMW touring, and it goes nowhere near a race track, and they absolutely transformed the car, it's now a joy to drive.

For road use, Ohlins would be my choice everytime, they are way ahead of everything else in this price range for the road environment.

Fitting Alcon's is not only all about out and out power, it's also about pedal feel, progression and control. This makes it a much better and safer brake set-up for the road, that will also cope with any trackdays that you may partake in.

Registered
Is bottom an acronym for "both on mine"? If so, I've got bottom too and they're an awesome combination :)

Registered
To be honest, one of the first question we should of ask is WHAT the OP using the car for.
Without knowing that, we are basically just naming brands unless the suspension can be custom build to his purposes when he order.

To be very untechnical here....Droop...the amount of travel downwards when you jack the car up.

The reason I ask is sometimes droop can be too short for some purposes...like 45mm. Not a problem for the track but when you go over a fast B road the car becomes very skippy over 60mph even though the suspension is comfortable.
Right, understand and that is the technical definition of droop.

The problem I have had is some people just use the word droop / compression / downward travel interchangeably.
So what you are asking is rebound travel from static, where I have others that think droop travel is compression travel, that is why I thought I ask to clear it up first.

Normally droop travel wouldn't be a problem if the wheel frequency is no higher than the 2.0Hz area.
It is when you start using crazy high springs rate and decide to run the car on the road that you get issue with droop travel.

In most cases, if I am running very high springs rate for race car, I will try to incorporate a helper springs to help give some more droop travel.
Unless you are trying to restrict rebound travel for a specific reason (such as on the front of a FR car to keep the front end from unloaded under throttle with long fast corner).

Either way, like you said, droop travel is necessary on a road car.

Jerrick

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be honest, one of the first question we should of ask is WHAT the OP using the car for.
Without knowing that, we are basically just naming brands unless the suspension can be custom build to his purposes when he order.
I am intending on using the car mainly on roads but the majority of the roads that I will be driving are the twisty B roads of Norfolk.
I am also looking on using the car for trackdays (how many per year I am unsure off) so from what I can gather the ohlins had everything to offer for this type of driving

When I took my car to snetterton last year (with the standard brembo brakes and bilstein suspension) it didn't feel good through the corners at all.
I had a chat with a couple of guys back then and ohlins and Alcons were mentioned above everything else hence why they have always been top of the list.

I know people have been using the Nitrons and KW suspension but I've yet to see any views of these.

All feedback is good though guys. Gives me an opportunity to take a bit more time before I make the decision.:smthumbup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts