Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched a round of the Asia-Pacific rally championship on Sky Sports 2. One entrant (finished 2nd overall) was the Proton works entry driving a Proton PERT. Now this car was an Evo 6 prepped by Ralliart but entered as a Proton, does anyone know what the arrangement is. If my mates find out I’m driving a Proton I’m finished.

http://www.sr-motorsport.com/srmdox/2001_thailand/index.html

Have a look on the website, pictures show the same type of car one as a Proton and one as a Mitsi!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HE HE HE

All you guys with 6's. Stand in line while the 3 diamonds are changed for a Proton badge :D

Must mean that the 7 is the only real Evo now ;)

flame suit on :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dean R,
This is nothing new and has been going on for years, started way back with the E3 or E2 possibly even earlier (Galant?). Back then the E3 was rebadged as the Proton Wira/Persona and then with the Evo 5 it became the Proton PERT (short for Petronas EON Rallying Team). Basically Proton buy the rights from Mitsubishi of the old models and then run them as thier own, bloody clever bit of advertising really and saves all the development costs. You don't often see them because they mainly run in the FIA Asian-Pacific championship but I think I remember seeing one at the Goodwood Festival of speed about 5/6 years ago (E4/Proton Wira).

Had you never wondered why the UK Proton Persona (funnily enough just renamed the Wira) looked like an old Lancer/Carisma? Proton bought the old tooling the same as they did with the old Astra and Cavalier.

By the way what is even more frightening is that the Evo 6 is sold as the Carisma GT on the continent, now go and tell your mates you are driving a Carisma!

Simon,
Don't worry no doubt there will soon be a group N E7 PERT out ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing wrong with Proton's.

The Satria 1.8 16v GTi was on my shortlist of cars when I was buying last year.

All this badge snobbery bullshit really ####es me off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HH6:

Proton bought the old tooling the same as they did with the old Astra and Cavalier.

HH6 in slight inaccuracy shock!

It was Daewoo that got GM's hand-me-downs :) Alright, I'll go and get my pedant's hat from the back of the cupboard....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Brown paper bag,

Interesting to imagine you think I am a badge snob. I certainly didn't buy a Mitsubishi because I perceived it as a 'premier badge'. Like it or not the likes of BMW AUDI MERCEDES JAGUAR etc are looked upon as high end marques, whereas Proton Kia Deawoo are considered somewhat less worthy. I personally have no brand loyalty, I always buy the 'most bang for the buck' and this has meant that I have owned cars from an array of different manufacturers. I would love Hyundai to build me a WRC rep of a similar standard to my evo but they never will.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoops my mistake...

If my mates find out I’m driving a Proton I’m finished

Maybe time to get some new mates then?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point about 'badge snobbery' dean R, it's not really badge snobbery just crap car snobbery! Proton now make the Safria GTi which is quite good and they do own Lotus. The new Hyundia Coupe looks miles better than the ugly old ones although it's headlights need dropping down about 3 inches, still full marks and they should sell quite a few.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
30 years ago no-one would have aspired to own a Mitsubishi, now look at 'em!

Give the Koreans and Malaysians time, we'll probably all be after one of them soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts