Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have just put original OZ wheels back on my II. They have an offset of 46.
I had been having major understeer on roundabouts and the like in the wet and the 17 inchers I just took off had an offset of 38. Does anyone know if this much difference could have affected handling in this way?

(Haven't had the chance to try it out in the same conditions yet. Today would have been good but that pesky thing called work has gotten in the way again!)

cheers
Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, the offset will affect how much the wheels 'stick out'. If I remember this right...?

Do you have any strut braces on the car, I found that fitting a front and rear to my E1 dramatically reduced the amount of understeer I was getting. I'd have a guess that the front strut mountings are fairly flexible and were allowing the tyre to de-camber when loaded.

Have you checked those anti-roll bar mounts yet ? They will also affect it, especially if the rear ones are quite worn.

TonyC
International man of mystery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tony,

Nope the car hasn't been for its service and the accompanying roll bar bush replacements yet. Sometime this month.
The 17 inch wheels with the smaller offset did indeed stick out noticeably more than the standard wheels.

No strut braces yet. They are on the wish list but it could be a while!

The car has been dropped considerably, and ride is pretty stiff. Maybe this could also be part of the problem. It handles fine in the dry though.

cheers
Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yes, you can really knacker the wet weather handling by making it too stiff.
I did the same thing with my mod'd MG race car. I spent ages messing around with the rear suspension and I got a car that griped like crazy in the dry. I thought it was fantastic, then I got a wet race (at Anglesey of all places) and the car was horrible. Although the marshall's enjoyed 'the most sideways car they have ever seen'. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

The stur braces and anti-roll bar bushes will make a big difference though - speaking from recent experience.

TonyC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts