Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
After 19k miles I finally need to replace my discs and pads (don't laugh I only ever use the car for driving to work!)

I'm really unsure what to replace them with, I'm not looking for any super performance as I'll not be taking the car on many (if any) track days until later in the year (due to insurance) so I'm after something that will last a while.

I've also not had any problems with the OEM pads and discs at all so I could just go for a stock replacement (?) is there anything else out there that I could go for at a similar price?

Answers on a postcard

Happy New Year
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Have a browse through http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/evobrakes.htm to see some of what is available at what price. As for not taking your car on the track due to insurance, you can get one-off track day insurance from certain companies. You could also try and argue the toss that the track is a private road. If you're woried about safety try an airfield day. With hundreds of yards of run-off and no dangerous driving (they are well supervised) danger is almost nill. Try http://www.bookatrack.com

I've been on two airfield days and never bothered about insurance.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ryan!

Did you get my msg on your mobile?

I can get you CTF discs and Pagid pads (same set up as me) if you like, for GBP 460 for the discs and 140 or 150 for the Pagid RS14s. The discs take 3 weeks, pads should be in stock somewhere here (maybe you can get them in the UK though). Make sure you retain the OEM anti squeal shims!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Aidy,
Yeah I've looked into single day cover and its a rip off, wanted a few hundred pounds per day, that |PLS| the cost of preping the car and the track day itself was a joke hense the fact that I'll not be doing too many, I'd rather spend the cash on getting the car sorted out instead, I'll be along to some track days anyway but not as many as I'd have liked.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Claudius,
Ahah! my phone has been turned off as I'm still on holiday from work, got the msg now thanks, I'd phone you now but its only 11:25 and I bet you are still in bed!

The CTF's and pagid's sound good, logon to MS messenger and we can sort something out. I'll let you know the latest on the gearbox too, don't think I'll need the fax as it'll not make any difference :(

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan

as you use your car as daily communter the Pagid RS 14 are way OTT for you as this is the harshest compound offered by Pagid (friction coefficient 0.58). You won't put enough heat into them and they will eat your dics when operating outside their preferred temp. range.
Go for something less harsh like the RS 4-2 which also will offer better cold bite and will be much kinder to the disc.

Cheers

Mike

PS: If you really want the rS 14 you can have mine for 60 quidd, only used for 800km

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,
Yup sensible advice I'll go check out prices.

Claudius,
I'm guessing that this is just for the front? I need to replace front and rear.....

I do like the CTF's but for the price is there anything else I should be looking at?

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Ryan

I havent heard of other discs that havent warped or fit perfectly. I am not sure, but I think CTF are available for the rear as well. You can buy different compound Pagids, but the RS14s are good, why get others? You know how much they squeal, you have been in my car! Maybe tell Willy what you think! :) You'll be happy to have them on a track!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Why should he use pure racing pads when he needs the car to drive to work? As his brakes will most of the time not that hot the pads don't operate in the heat range they're made for so this will eat his discs. Why do you think different grades of pads are available? Because of different needs. The Pagid RS 14 is a pure racing pad. It's only used in tarmac rallying and standard fit on some high powered Caterhams. When I spoke to Pagids themselves even they strongly advised not to use them on the road. It has a bad modulation but if you fancy doing almost at every application emergency stops then go for it.
The Pagid RS 4-2 will be far enough even for normal track use and will have better cold bite. Good to have in English weather as not everyone lives at such a convient place and drives hills up and down.
BTW André made good experience with the Godspeed discs. They're not too expensive and should be good for the intended use.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
That's not exactly what I heard from Andre.

You should fit softer compound pads, much better for your winter conditions! They will keep your wheels clean as well...

Fück, I wonder why I bother saying the same stuff over and over again.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Claudius

what shall I say when I see your posts!

Have ever though about different people having different requierements?

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
dumdidum,
Too be honest Claudius I didn't hear them squeal at all, there were nice and hot though :D

I know what you are saying about the pads Claudius but I will really rarely get them up to temp, I mainly drive on the Motorway (we don't have the nice roads that you do :( ), seems a bit of a waste for me to buy softer compound pads when I'll not really get chance to use em.

R

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
In my opinion,i would go for standard pads.If you never go on track then why bother having brakes that only work well when very hot?
The Pagid pads etcetc,tend to wear the disks very quickly,and will often be very noisy during use.

Just my opinion.

Duncan

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
ok how about any pads that don't give much (or any) brake dust, I hate cleaning the alloys!

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Ryan,

If you need to get hold of Pagid pads in the UK, give Gill Freeth at Performance Braking a bell.

Contact details are:

Phone: 01600 713117
E-Mail: sales @performance-braking.co.uk

She was kind enough to supply me with some Pagid RS4-2 at factory prices.

Re: Rs4-2 vs. RS14

I run Pagid RS4-2 on the front of my M3 and they're fine, even in cold UK weather. They squeal a little
when new but that almost disappears as they wear and their cold performance improves a lot after
a while. I've done 2 trackdays with them so far and they are unfadable. Blade also uses RS4-2s on
his car. Also zero fade in that (even with Ed Moore driving).

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I was so impressed with what you said that I didnt know how to put it. I disagreed with this part:
I've done 2 trackdays with them so far and they are unfadable. Blade also uses RS4-2s on

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Original Post:
I was so impressed with what you said that I didnt know how to put it. I disagreed with this part:
I've done 2 trackdays with them so far and they are unfadable. Blade also uses RS4-2s on
You disagree that Blade never got any fade when using RS4-2 on his Evo? Well, it's true. Not sure how else to put it really.

Even with the shite calipers/discs on my M3 they made a huge difference. Honest. I'm still waiting for AP to finish developing the 6-pot kit for my car. I'll have to make do until then (time to save up)

Ian.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts