Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed an odd sound coming from the steering wheel (I think) when I turn in either direction, at first it sounded like a high frequency rattle, but on listening closer (and driving slower) it sounds like air escaping, the sound doesn't happen throughout the turn just at certain points, is this normal? havning never owned an Evo b4 I'm unsure, there is no other visible or audible effects.

Thanks
Clueless newbie
Def

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probably the power steering is about to explode! There was a bad batch of power steering racks that didn't have the fluid recirculating holes drilled in the ends of the shafts and the pressure builds up until eventually the rack explodes throwing peanuts everywhere (rack and peanut steering you see).

In case you hadn't realised that was not entirely the truth http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

It may well be the power steering that you can hear though, the fluid being pumped about makes a noise especially if there is air trapped in it. You can bleed the air by turning onto full lock (with the engine running) and waiting 20 seconds, turn onto the opposite lock and wait again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too late, I've already called the bomb squad.

If they say its safe I'll give the bleeding a try

Thanks hh6

Def

1 - 4 of 4 Posts