Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been adivsed to use fuel which is used for model plans at an octane booster. Ive got some which is rated at 16%, but 16% what. This then leads to the next question of how much do I put in before the engine blows, or infact nothing happens.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The percentage is for the Nitro Methane content (honest). This stuff is highly potent and can also be highly explosive - drink it and you go blind sort off stuff. Luckily for model enthusiasts it's mixed into a castor oil/methanol/nitro methane cocktail (about 15% castor oil/75% methanol/10% Nitro Methane ).

I have already used some of this stuff in a company car (1400 Orion) I used to have (I wouldn't stick it in my own that's for sure) I mixed about 2500ml of 5% Nitro Methane model fuel in with about 5 gallons of 4 star. The car went about 20% quicker when you booted it and the smell following was as if the car was running on dope. 4 months later the head was off with a burnt out valve http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

I'm sure your car will go much quicker with this stuff in it - but DON'T DO IT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evoboy!

LOL Now that's a good idea, I was so frustrated in Corsica in June with that 206, will know what to do now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get your girlfriend to #### in the tank its worth an extra 10bhp and dont forget to remove the plastic grommet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can your car OD on Octane Booster ?

Let's say you have to fill up with normal UL, obviously you would put some OB in there. Just one bottle or two to be sure ?

If you fill up with SUL and you put in OD, that is supposed to take it to 99 Octane ? What if you put in 2 bottles ? (will damage occur, what happens? Is it good for track days?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have used octane boosters in my car and used half a bottle for a full tank of SUL. I was told that adding any xtra wouldnt make a difference to performance. The octane boosters certainly improved the power but after about 5 times it fouled my spark plugs. i was told that octane boosters boost octane in a certain way that it stuffs up the spark plugs (and maybe other parts of the car). i think its much better jus getting a higher octane fuel (like AVGAS - but need to be decatted) only on special occasions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just in case anyone thinks using octane booster is as straight forward as chucking a half a tin in the tank after a fill up read this. I have been in contact with Silkoline about how much to add to raise 95 ron to 97. This is the e mail thread (Silkoline employees e-mails and full names removed):-

Mark,
It would appear that the 2.5% I advised is the minimum you need to be on the
safe side for your racing engine. As John says it depends on the fuel blend
that you start from ( not just the octane rating!). If you want an
explanation of the reference to the CFR octane test engine and the way they
determine octane ratings, it would be better if you called me (0870 746
####), although the procedure is quite simple the explanation is not as easy
to put on paper in a few minutes.
May be you should be on 3% for the race engine.
Regards

Tom W#####
----- Original Message -----
From: R#####, John and amp;lt;John.R#####@fuchs-oil.com and amp;gt;
To: 'Tom W#####' and amp;lt;##@x-cite2000.freeserve.co.uk and amp;gt;
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 10:30 AM
Subject: RE: Pro - Boost

Tom:- Not really! Try to explain that octane improvement is not an exact
science due to differences in fuel response, so I haven't got any exact
graphs or formulae, and neither has anybody else! (It is even questionable
if the 70-year-old CFR octane test engine, running at 900RPM, is
particularly relevant to modern engines.) JR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 9:49 AM
To: John R#####
Subject: Fw: Pro - Boost

John,
Can you add anything to the saga below. Sorry to hit you this
straight after your holidays.
Regards
Tom W#####
From: m.singer and amp;lt;mailto:[email protected] and amp;gt;
To: Silkoleneoil and amp;lt;mailto:##@silkoleneoil.com and amp;gt;
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: Pro - Boost

Thanks Tom,

Your info does make sense. I'll obviously try to keep on the SUL but
if I need to upgrade 95 RON to 97 I'll mix at 2.5% just to stay safe. I
would hope that my engine tuner had left a slight safety margin on the
ignition but I'm not wanting to take any risk and they don't like giving any
tuning info away.

I'll look forward for an update when the Pro Boost Designer is back
of holiday. I expect there is some mathematical formula or algorithmic scale
to refer to.

Regards,

Mark

From: Silkoleneoil and amp;lt;mailto:##@silkoleneoil.com and amp;gt;
To: m.singer and amp;lt;mailto:[email protected] and amp;gt;
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:08 PM

OK Mark,
The person I needed to talk to (the guy who designed Pro
Boost) is on holiday for the next 2 weeks, so for the time being you will
have to put up with what I have experienced over the past few years that I
have been using it.
Generally the basic rule of thumb is that a mixture of 1%
Pro Boost will lift the octane rating by 1 RON, however like life things are
not always that simple, and infact that is the same with all octane
boosters. The data on the container is a pretty good guide, but if you are
running a serious competition engine then you need to ER on the safe side,
you see like all boosters the more you add the less the effect it has on the
octane rating.
e.g. 1% will take you from 95 RON to 96 RON but 2% would
take you from 95 RON to just below 97 RON so if the timing on your engine is
critical I would use 2½% to be on the safe side. (does that make sense?)

Regards
Tom W#####

From: m.singer and amp;lt;mailto:[email protected] and amp;gt;
To: Silkoleneoil and amp;lt;mailto:##@silkoleneoil.com and amp;gt;
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 4:34 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the fast response.

I'm using it for 'emergency purposes' for both a
competition kart and an early Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

If I need to get more fuel at the karting circuit I
can only get normal 95 RON so need to raise the octane rating as the karts
ignition is set for 97.

Similar story with the car, I know locally where I
can get SUL from but when I travel I need piece of mind so carry a full tin
of octane booster for that also.

Regards,

Mark

and amp;lt;mailto:##@silkoleneoil.com and amp;gt;
To: m.singer and amp;lt;mailto:[email protected] and amp;gt;

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:35 AM

Mark,
As you are using it for competition purposes
I am asking our R and amp;D people for their recommendations and will get back to
you asap.
One question though, why don't you use Super
unleaded petrol which is already 97RON? or are you asking for emergency
purposes?
Regards
Tom W#####

and amp;lt;mailto:[email protected] and amp;gt;
To: [email protected]
and amp;lt;mailto:[email protected] and amp;gt;
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 10:20 PM
Subject: Pro - Boost

The Pro Boost tin states how much additive
to add for '1% to 3%' but I'm not sure what this is telling me. I think it
is telling me how much to add for a 1% to 3%improvement over the fuels RON.
ie 1% on 95RON would take it to just below 96RON - Is this correct?
I have a race kart engine and need to know
how much Pro Boost to use to raise 95 RON fuel to 97 RON as this is what the
ignition has been set on. I'm going to use the 2% recommendation but would
like clarification this is correct.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started to write a 'short' explanation of Detonation, Octane rating, Knock Sensors and Octane Boosters but after 2 pages I gave up!
Surfice to say it is quite a complex subject and even explaining it simply takes ages.
Anyway to cut to the chase:
21st Century Performance tested a variety of different Octane Boosters and found only one produced just noticeable gains over the standard base fuel. Some had slight gains at the last few 100 rpm's of the rev range (i.e. at high revs) and some actually REDUCED performance. They were all tested on a high performance force induction engine fitted with a knock sensor and mappable ECU.
For all those people who use Octane Booster regularily then instead I would consider Water Injection to reduce detonation. Not only would the results be more reliable than trying to guess the Octane Booster mixture but it would pay for itself within a year or two compared to keep buying Octane Booster (obviously that depends on your mileage though).

By the way back when F1 engines were turbocharged and limited to 1.5 litres Honda found the best fuel mix was 84% toulene and 16% n-heptane which allowed the greatest ignition advance given the 102 RON limitation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of this, does anyone actually have an octane booster they recommend? I too would like to be able to up 95ron when travelling if I can't find SUL.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Toulene is commonly used as an Octane Booster (10% mix). Acetone is also sometimes used but they both have their drawbacks. Acetone is one of the main ingredients of...PAINT STRIPPER! Both Acetone and Toulene are not very kind to rubber components such as fuel hoses. Toulene also has a high carbon content which can lead to sooty spark plugs (as Empra_EvoVI seems to have found out) and probably can also effect the lambda sensor and CAT to some degree.

The Octane Booster that performed the best in the 21st Century Performance tests contained the following:
heavy aliphatic solvent naptha
medium aliphatic solvent naptha
methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl
heavy aromatic naptha
xylene

Another off the self Octane Booster that performed well also contained xylene and toulene.
Find an Octane Booster containing xylene and/or toulene and it should perform reasonably well.

The official Ralliart line is if you are stuck then fill the tank with 95RON UL, drive carefully until you get a chance to fill up with 97RON SUL again. They do not suggest you use Octane Boosters. Having said that I have an emergency Octane Booster bottle in my glove box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wynn's, I didn't mention it because I don't know whether its any good or not. I also have a bottle of 'Nitrous Formula Octane Booster - Race Formula' that I got as a freebie. Neither has a list of ingredients so who knows! I have never used them so I can say whether they are any good or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest and using my GCSE and A level chemisty i carnt really see how a small bottle of paint stripper is going to do much good. A day on the track seemed to do more than any of the octane boosters ive tried has ever done. The stuff which they use for model planes using nitromethane which apparantly gives a bigger explosion due to it helping oxygen burn better, not buy increasing the octane, it however contained lost of methanol, same stuff they use in dragsters.
I think compaines now use the term Octane Booster for anything, even though it wont increase the actual octane of the petrol.

I also think (Brain it working todayhttp://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) HH6 is right about the water injection, the best thing for my car would be a bigger intercooler (aftercooler, whatever[img]http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >, at the mo its tiny, but to change would mean new bumper, plus insurance would want to know big style, no way could parm them off by saying it was like that when I bought it.

RS pilot, did you use this stuff every fill for 4 months or was it just the one off.

Cheers
Al

PS Do you think a jet engine on the back would help[img]http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah SilverRS is right and I forgot to add that Nitro Methane is not an Octane Booster in the same way that Nitrous Oxide isn't.
I also did A-level Chemistry for which I got a grade 'n' which I think meant 'know-it-all'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SilverRS II,

I just used the model fuel one time. It was about to get chucked out during a garage clear out when I had the strange thought of chucking it in the company car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blade

I have used Millers CVL [ 3 ron / 1 bottle per 20 ltrs ] over the last 18mths with no problems , I only use it as a precaution against DET plus it has an added bonus of being a valve lubricant.

Note - this is not for cars with CATS fitted [ Millers do an octane |PLS| which is only 1.5 ron increase for cats ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding toluene, High octane fuel will have alot of this and other ring based hydrocarbons (Benzene, ethyl benzene). The reason being is that due to the ring structure they burn slower and hence have a higher octane than a straight structure (like n-octane). So don't worry too much about its effect on an engine.

Nitro Methane works by supplying part of the oxygen required for combustion itself, as the Nitro bit contains 1 nitrogen and 3 oxygen molecules. The only limitation on the amount of power you can get from a Nitro fuel is therefore the amount of fuel you can get into the engine and whether or not the engine holds together. Indeed the ultimate Nitro fuel is tri (as in 3 nitro bits) nitro toluene which is better known as TNT. However as I dont have an asbestos arse this is not something I have tried.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts