Lancer Register Forum banner

Notebook Deals

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  John Mc 
#1 ·
I'm on the look out for a new notebook for someone and wondering if anyone knows of any good deals at the moment.

There's a budget of £600 exc VAT and it doesn't need a particularly powerful processor, but must have a decent screen, hard disk size and memory as well as having WiFi and Bluetooth. Needs to be pretty solidly made too.

Any suggestion anyone?

#3 ·
Re: Re: Notebook Deals

Weebl said:
Dells outlet webshop?
Had a look there and whilst the prices and spec aren't bad I've never been knocked out with their build quality in the past. Mind you they have a different range of notebooks now so perhaps they're better?

Any other alternatives to Dell?

#5 ·
Re: Re: Re: Notebook Deals

DaveG said:
Had a look there and whilst the prices and spec aren't bad I've never been knocked out with their build quality in the past. Mind you they have a different range of notebooks now so perhaps they're better?

Any other alternatives to Dell?
I've had an Inspiron 8600 for the last year, it's been rock solid, just as well built as any HP laptop and with a fantastic screen.

#6 ·
Just had a look at Inspiron 6000's and they come out at £609 with 1.6Ghz Centrino, shared memory graphics, WiFi and Bluetooth. It's only a business machine so the graphics won't make much difference.

Not bad. Thought I'd struggle to get a Centrino for £600.

Has anyone used an Inspiron 6000? Are they built to last?

#7 ·
DaveG said:
Just had a look at Inspiron 6000's and they come out at £609 with 1.6Ghz Centrino, shared memory graphics, WiFi and Bluetooth. It's only a business machine so the graphics won't make much difference.

Not bad. Thought I'd struggle to get a Centrino for £600.

Has anyone used an Inspiron 6000? Are they built to last?
Dave, you are going through the outlet and not the normal retail site?

#9 ·
Guys,

I work for a Value Added Retailer for IT Equipment. Might be a possibility for me to get them for you at cost. Obviously wont be a Dell machine but an equivalent.

Let me know if u want me to have a look. I can give u prices ex vat.

Dan The Man

#12 ·
Parallel's are still around but serial's are a thing of the past. But u can buy a USB to Serial Adapter.

I will look at Prices First thing tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere near £600 ex vat.

Anyone interested Please PM me.

Ta

#14 ·
I could also be interested - BUT :(

Must have a real Com port and,

have drivers etc to run on win98

YES, I know its a challenge :p , too much M'Sport software is still in the dark ages and works best using DOS :moon:

This could/is a premium market ??

Grant

#15 ·
Com ports are becoming a nightmare.
I spent more money on my laptop because I needed a com port and all of the lower priced models didn't have one. Not all software will work with USB com ports :(

#16 ·
chockymonster said:
Com ports are becoming a nightmare.
I spent more money on my laptop because I needed a com port and all of the lower priced models didn't have one. Not all software will work with USB com ports :(
TRUE

not having a com port means i will have to keep using my old lap top for gems ecus. motec uses parallel so we are atleast safe that way.

Dan
i usually pay by switch :D ;)

#17 ·
Guys I am looking into this. So bare with me.

I think the serial port option is going to be a problem, but I wont say never yet.

Switch will be fine if I give u the company bank details and u can transfer funds assuming I find the right one :D

Dan

#18 ·
Right I have found a couple of laptops at decent prices but none of them have either COM or Parallel Ports nor Bluetooth.

Probably could buy USB to whatever u need device if that is possible

I am still looking into it but it aint looking good.

Let me know if u are interested or not and what u want in the laptop? So I can individualise then to your own needs. Looking for something with a com port now!!! Needle in a haystack comes to mind.

#21 ·
I picked up a cracking deal from the Dell outlet - with help from Weebl ;)

Inspiron 5160, p4 3.2 Ghz, 1024mb ram, dvd/writer, loads of other stuff I dont understand all for £633 + vat.

I priced that spec and it came out at over £1100 + vat...

That'll dink dank do for me! :cool:

#25 ·
Is a COM port the same as a 9 pin serial port?

If it is then the Dell Inspiron 510m laptop has both a serial and parallel port for the people needing a new laptop for mapping.

See here:- http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...kdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~page=4&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

You can get some seriously good deals on Dell's outlet store if you look at the right time. If you want to know more just ask away ;)

Cheers

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.