Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the look out for a new notebook for someone and wondering if anyone knows of any good deals at the moment.

There's a budget of £600 exc VAT and it doesn't need a particularly powerful processor, but must have a decent screen, hard disk size and memory as well as having WiFi and Bluetooth. Needs to be pretty solidly made too.

Any suggestion anyone?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Notebook Deals

Weebl said:
Dells outlet webshop?
Had a look there and whilst the prices and spec aren't bad I've never been knocked out with their build quality in the past. Mind you they have a different range of notebooks now so perhaps they're better?

Any other alternatives to Dell?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
actually looking for the same thing on the same budget so what ever you found let me know ;) maybe we can have a group buy of intel centrino laptops :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Notebook Deals

DaveG said:
Had a look there and whilst the prices and spec aren't bad I've never been knocked out with their build quality in the past. Mind you they have a different range of notebooks now so perhaps they're better?

Any other alternatives to Dell?
I've had an Inspiron 8600 for the last year, it's been rock solid, just as well built as any HP laptop and with a fantastic screen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had a look at Inspiron 6000's and they come out at £609 with 1.6Ghz Centrino, shared memory graphics, WiFi and Bluetooth. It's only a business machine so the graphics won't make much difference.

Not bad. Thought I'd struggle to get a Centrino for £600.

Has anyone used an Inspiron 6000? Are they built to last?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,716 Posts
DaveG said:
Just had a look at Inspiron 6000's and they come out at £609 with 1.6Ghz Centrino, shared memory graphics, WiFi and Bluetooth. It's only a business machine so the graphics won't make much difference.

Not bad. Thought I'd struggle to get a Centrino for £600.

Has anyone used an Inspiron 6000? Are they built to last?
Dave, you are going through the outlet and not the normal retail site?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weebl said:
Dave, you are going through the outlet and not the normal retail site?
Lee, it's the retail site. Do you have the address for the outlet one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Guys,

I work for a Value Added Retailer for IT Equipment. Might be a possibility for me to get them for you at cost. Obviously wont be a Dell machine but an equivalent.

Let me know if u want me to have a look. I can give u prices ex vat.

Dan The Man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
Weebl said:
why not post the link over here :confused:

Dan

i will be interested, how fast can you supply ? i am looking for something with a serial and a parallel port or are these something of the past now ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Parallel's are still around but serial's are a thing of the past. But u can buy a USB to Serial Adapter.

I will look at Prices First thing tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere near £600 ex vat.

Anyone interested Please PM me.

Ta
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
I can supply next day assuming you can provide funds etc. Otherwise if you are buying for a company you could send a Purchase Order over and we can invoice u.

Will keep u posted
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,916 Posts
I could also be interested - BUT :(

Must have a real Com port and,

have drivers etc to run on win98

YES, I know its a challenge :p , too much M'Sport software is still in the dark ages and works best using DOS :moon:

This could/is a premium market ??

Grant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
Com ports are becoming a nightmare.
I spent more money on my laptop because I needed a com port and all of the lower priced models didn't have one. Not all software will work with USB com ports :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
chockymonster said:
Com ports are becoming a nightmare.
I spent more money on my laptop because I needed a com port and all of the lower priced models didn't have one. Not all software will work with USB com ports :(
TRUE

not having a com port means i will have to keep using my old lap top for gems ecus. motec uses parallel so we are atleast safe that way.

Dan
i usually pay by switch :D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Guys I am looking into this. So bare with me.

I think the serial port option is going to be a problem, but I wont say never yet.

Switch will be fine if I give u the company bank details and u can transfer funds assuming I find the right one :D

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Right I have found a couple of laptops at decent prices but none of them have either COM or Parallel Ports nor Bluetooth.

Probably could buy USB to whatever u need device if that is possible

I am still looking into it but it aint looking good.

Let me know if u are interested or not and what u want in the laptop? So I can individualise then to your own needs. Looking for something with a com port now!!! Needle in a haystack comes to mind.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top