Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently traded the VII in for an MR 320, the VII having the 5 speed box and the MR having the 6.

I noticed on the test drive that the two have very different feeling shifts, the VII's five speed box was very direct and the gear stick itself never moved when applying power.
The MR on the other hand is totally different when I apply power to pull away in first I notice that the gear stick moves backwards slightly much like an Imprezza and then when I go to change between first and second it is notchy as hell, is this normal for the 6 speed box?

The car has done 20k and is still under warranty.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think most of the six speeds do it mate.Mine even had a new box fitted and the new one is only slightly better!.Should feel better at higher revs but around town i find going to the middle of the box and then to 2nd helps or you could double the clutch.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply mate, does you gear stick move when pulling away then? Mine is really noticeable going from first to second, I get a real crunchy feel with it almost as if the gear is not engaging properly

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not sure about the movement, i,ll take a look in the morning.The 2nd gear thing is as you describe but i,ve just changed my gearbox oil for the Silkolene fully synth and it has improved although it is now really stiff into 2nd when cold but not totally cured of the clonk.As i said mine is much better when going to the middle of the box after 1st and then to 2nd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.