Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the way to meet another MLR member today to get some parts when my gearbox let go :( .....just driving along fairly steady when i heard clunk.....thought it was just a stone or something...then after about a mile the gearbox started to sound noisy so slowed right down and pulled over....looked under car and gearbox oil ****ing out! :(... home by the AA....hit the Stella!!!...i will invetigate further when i sober up :cry: ...damn cars!

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
my commiserations mate. horrible feeling when summat lets go.

glad it didn't happen at speed and lock up.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
gutted for you m8 thats a horrible sight

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's terrible news mate! These early evo gearboxes don't age well (especially when driven hard), I reckon mine is on the way out too, I've got all sorts of horrible noises coming from it, I changed the oil yesterday to try and give it some more life, but I know it's just a matter of time till it pops.

·
Registered
249 Posts
These early evo gearboxes don't age well (especially when driven hard)
Ahh don't say that, mines just started getting notchy and sometimes dosn't want to go in gear :cry: . More expense?

Is there any way of driving them other than hard? :D

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes its not a pretty site!

I was only on stock boost when it went so dont think power is the problem, even @ 1.5bar its only approx 350hp at the minute, and and these boxes will take 500hp in good nick im told (for how long though im not sure :eek:) ..... i wasnt even really on the power when it went, i put it down to wear and tear.... or maybe when the box was apart in NZ something wasnt quite put back in right is a possibilty but its done now :(

I am looking at a few options ...and one of them is ive heard a rumour brand new boxes can me bought in japan to special order !!! so if the price isnt stupid thats what i will go for, otherwise its either gamble again with another 2nd hand box.....or rebuild my original box... which is gona cost a few quid!...or budget solution is strip this box and try and make 1 good one from the 2 i have now!!!!...but then i may end up in the same position in a few months time....hmmmm

Ian

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
thetyrant said:
I am looking at a few options ...and one of them is ive heard a rumour brand new boxes can me bought in japan to special order !!! so if the price isnt stupid thats what i will go for,
Hmmm, interesting. If you find out the cost, let me know and we can half in on the shipping maybe? I might even cash in a load of shares and buy a container load as an investment!

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
agrabau : No it wasnt the flywheel, looks more like a gear tooth or something has broken off then the diff has fired it out the bottom!...box has been apart in NZ before i got it but was unable to find out what was done....looks like not as much as i was hoping for :(

Chunky : Prices ive had so far...place in the US (TRE) claim to be able to build one but i need to send my diff over to ensure correct final drive etc, also question mark on gear ratios im checking on now...cost approx £1400-1600 depending on shipping.

New unit from japan through a contact i have in NZ... silly money at well over 2k.....another contact in NZ can do a complete rebuilt box shipped to port for £1500 which is so far best option...still searching though :)

Ian

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ian, I can source a box here in the US for $500USD or so but I don't know how much shipping will cost. When people order crated motors from Japan they sometimes come with the RS transmission which are useless on US cars as they have a 3.9XX final drive.

Let me know if I can help.

Alex Grabau

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
$500 is a great price...
think you might have a 'few' customers at that level Alex, if you can get good shipping rates...

one point though...
the gear ratios are exactly the same in the jdm evo1-3 RS & GSR gearbox
- unless a non-oem gear-set has been fitted

1 - 20 of 36 Posts