Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well thing's couldn't get any worse with the EVO really, I picked the car up less than 8 weeks ago from a forum member thinking this was the best option over a private purchase, how wrong I was?

First of all on the drive home I had loads of boost and running problems, I managed to limp the car home and eventually traced the fault to the thermostat so not a big fix but annoying none the less.
Car didn't play up until driven for at least 15 mins so was fine on the test drive.

A couple of days after I got the car home I started getting a low grinding noise through the cabin, a wheel bearing I thought?, as if I'd be that lucky!
Turns out a few weeks later to be a drive shaft bearing gone so a fairly expensive repair.
Never mind I thought and booked it in to be done only to get another couple of weeks down the road and get a rattling noise in mid rev range followed by oil pressure light on the way home one day.

I've now had this looked at and am told it's the big end bearing shot!

Could it get any worse you might ask?, well apparently it can as whilst being parked on my shared driveway today someone has now driven into the door denting and scratching it and driving off without telling anyone!...:wallbang:

My advice to anyone buying an EVO?, take it on the test drive of it's life before parting with any money and ideally get one from an importer with a few months warranty for a bit of peace of mind.
The buyers guide on here is great but can still leave you buying a car with a **** load of problems.

As for buying cars off forum members well the jury's still out for me, I would usually be all for it as I've had some great and trouble free cars in the past off forum members but this one has left a seriously bitter taste..:mad:

I'm seriously thinking about just breaking the bloody thing now and cutting my losses as an engine change is going to run into thousands.

And to think I let my gorgeous GTO go to buy this piece of ****, what was I thinking!

Not really any point to this thread by the way just venting...:frust:

Feel free to tell me how stupid I've been...:wallbang::lol:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It can happen with any car mate. I also bought mine from a forum member and I have had to spend in the region of £3500 keeping it on the road in one year, but the problems I've had are really to do with the car being 10 years old, not with the previous owner. I still maintain that if you buy a car from a long established member on here, you have a better chance of having fewer problems.

I can definetly see your frustration though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate, not really trying to point the finger just extremeny frustrated and unlucky it seems...:shake:

It's what you get for having expensive toys I guess:mitsi:

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
*waits for the pitchfork brigade to turn up :rolleyes: *

Edit: Let's play thread-Bingo...my chosen phrases are;

"Name and Shame"
"You should pay him a visit"
"If that was me I'd pay him a visit"
"Can't the mods do something to stop this from happening?"

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

"Name and Shame"
LMFAO!!!

I'll go for "Name and shame" :lol::lol:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No need for any of that it's not a witch hunt, I can't say for sure if I was misslead or if it was just my own stupid fault for not checking the car out more thoroughly, either way its done now so I just have to deal with it and move on.

Purely just warning future buyers to be very careful when buying and not to think just because their armed with the buyers guide that their going to get a sound car although it will increase the chances..:smthumbup

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Gutted for you mate! Seems like you bought the car and just the wrong time and the seller sold it at just the right time.

Had the seller kept it for another month or so then no doubt they would be the one footing the bill for the driveshaft bearing & big end, etc.

Well gutted for you mate. As for the tw*t who reversed into the door and left I REALLY hate c**ts like that!

Should at least have the decency to admit their mistake and pay for damages.

Looks like you've been very unlucky here. :(

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
id like to think that when your a member or an active member that you like taking care of your pride and joys....

but sometimes things do go wrong.... (in my last evo, the clutch went within 3 months of ownership and i dont launch before anyone starts)

just pot luck...

my mate picked up a nice evo8 fq300 and the headgasket went...

just luck of the draw i think when you buy a car....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

"Name and Shame"
:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: "Burn the Witch"

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know if someone wants to donate a 5,6,7 or 8 engine on the cheap it would go a long way to easing my pain..:lol:

·
Premium Member
11,656 Posts
Gutted for you fella. If i see something come up on the cheap i will let you know. It will be worth contacting all the traders who deal in engines to see if they have a good cheap engine for you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gutted for you fella. If i see something come up on the cheap i will let you know. It will be worth contacting all the traders who deal in engines to see if they have a good cheap engine for you.
If only I'd been on here long enough to know who they are...:lol:

I'll have a search..:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
It's unlucky but I'm not exaclty suprised..

To be honest I wouldn't buy an evo 4 anymore, they are too long in the tooth now. Unless you can find one with genuine low mileage that's been pampered or one with loads replaced (inc engine changed for a later one)

Chances are you'll have (at some point) crankwalk, AYC problems, rust problems..

I had one years ago which I paid £10k for (that long ago) and it cost me a lot in getting it to a better standard.. I'd imagine these days most will be serious money pits if on the original lump and ayc

·
North Scotland R.O
13,410 Posts

"Name and Shame"
I have a phrase which isnt on that list

"You get what you pay for" :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im not going to tempt fate on the E4 i bought at Christmas ... (75k miles, fresh off the boat)

Gutted that yove had all these issues .. Mine has cost me nowt except for the nice bits ive added ..

Hope you get it right and Enjoy it :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
sorry to hear that!! sounds to me like just bad luck!

when you bye any super car always bye low mileage and the newest you can afford! goodluck:smthumbup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts